Making a lock to fit a key

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

RangerSteven

Making a lock to fit a key

Postby RangerSteven » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:12 am

Suggested in Melting down old keys, but never given a topic of its own.

So yes. If you have some random key, you might as well be able to make a lock fitting it, no? Then you can easily have multiple locks all fitting the same key, as well as being able to create a lock without requiring a new key. (The former, of course, is probably a more important reason than the latter.)
Liljum

Postby Liljum » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:33 am

Like this suggestion. Down with endless amount of keys in your inventory.
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:40 am

I have a charri that has inherited a bunch of keys... most of which I don't know, can' find what they are for. :? But if you build a lock to fit that key...someone out there is very likely to have a key for your lock... but.. good idea though..

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:58 am

I would definitely love to be able to do this. Being able to have all rooms in a building synched up to a single key would simplify organization for several characters.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Trezker

Postby Trezker » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:47 pm

If you want to build a hotel, then it would be nice if you could have keys that only work on one room and a master key.
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:17 am

Very nice suggestion. Are there reasons not to accept it?
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - G. Marx
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:35 am

CRB's. Some jerk would make a lock in the other side of an island to match a key their other character has so that the other character could travel across the world and gain access. But if it was made so that you can only make a lock to fit a key you are currently carrying, that would stop people from making locks their other characters could benefit from.

Also I assume the number is the id of the lock by which it's known in the database and that might not support double values. Then again, if there can be copies of keys then why not locks?
Not-so-sad panda
Yömyssy

Postby Yömyssy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:03 pm

SekoETC wrote:CRB's. Some jerk would make a lock in the other side of an island to match a key their other character has so that the other character could travel across the world and gain access.

I can't see that there would be any point to be able to make a lock that fits into a key that you have never seen.
i.e. you start making the lock, and throw in a random key id no.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:18 pm

I'm sure it'd be like making copies of keys; you have to have the key in your inventory to make a copy.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:27 pm

Yömyssy, unless the lock was regular and would produce a key when it's completed, then you might want to make a lock that has a cool number like 31337. But if it comes without a key and you would have to have a corresponding key from the past to be able to lock/open it then making locks you don't have a key for would only be reasonable in two cases: 1, CRB as described above and 2, creating a lock without a known key that cannot be locked by anyone, effectively preventing someone else from putting their own lock on the place unless they first work long and hard to remove the original lock.
Not-so-sad panda
NiKnight

Postby NiKnight » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:09 pm

I like this suggestion too.

To prevent CRB's character should make locks only for keys which has in inventory.

And other suggestion: what do you think about change number of key? (for example you can do it with pile and smelting furnace). Of course you can change to new number if you have oryginal (destination) key. It will help with utilizing old keys.
Ni Ni Ni Ni!
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:07 pm

It would be nice if original keys were marked in some way differently to copies in that case.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:06 am

A good suggestion Moved to accepted suggestions

To avoid manipulation of game mechanics, such as only one lock per location this will not be implemented until after full project cancellation/resource recovery is available

Return to “Likely Suggestions”