Vehicle Change: Road Accesibility

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Vehicle Change: Road Accesibility

Postby wichita » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:21 pm

Resources Department is considering some changes to the roads that vehicles will have access to in the future. This change is being considered in the interest of realism and game balance to the travel and transport system. This will be a drastic change, and has the potential to affect many characters, so I am making an announcement here and a request for input from all of you (which I know y'all will not be shy to share ;) ).

Hopefully I can arrange this information in an orderly fasion. Please bear with me here. Here I list each land vehicle, followed by the current lowest level of road improvement it can travel on, followed by the proposed lowest level of road improvement accesible.

Vehicle - current - proposed
--------------------------------------
bike - path - path
bike cart - path - path
rickshaw - path - path
tandem bike - path - path
tricycle - path - path
small wooden cart - path - path

dirt motorcycle - path - path
road motorcycle - paved road - paved road

jeep - path - path
pickup - path - sand road
small pickup - path - path
small tractor - sand road - sand road
tractor - sand road - paved road (if we consider it as a tractor trailer NOT a farm tractor)

mini van - sand road - sand road
small van - sand road - sand road
van - sand road - paved road

caddie - sand road - paved road
limousine - sand road - paved road
passenger car - sand road - sand road
small sportscar - sand road - paved road
stationcar - sand road - sand road

bus - sand road - paved road
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:30 pm

Ican hear the howls of anguish already! I'm only glad for my char's sake that the vehicle under construction on an island without oil seems to be unaffected. I foresee a lot of suicidal motor builders.
saztronic

Postby saztronic » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:37 pm

I'd like to hear the reasoning behind the van and pickup changes. Everything else seems logical, but not this.

I understand that you're probably implying that small pickups and mini vans are small -- ergo, better able to navigate narrow, twisting paths. But I have to say that from experience, a full-size pickup can go a lot of places that small pickup can't go -- same with a full-size van over a mini-van. Full pickups have lots of things that make them great off-road vehicles -- high suspension and tires for going over very rough terrain, huge and powerful engines for dealing with inclines, all-wheel drive and steering modifications for tackling crazy situations -- half in a river, half out, half in sand and half on rock, etc. A smaller pickup is actually at a disadvantage, not an advantage.

And in-game, given the relative cost of a small pickup vs. a large, it would seem more logical to make the less expensive vehicle have more limitations, not the more expensive one. Why go to the extra expense and effort to build a full pickup when a small is actually more versatile? Same with vans....
Capt. Mobious

Postby Capt. Mobious » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:43 pm

I don't mind the changes but please give us plenty of lead time to get our cars off of those distant paths. Like state that the car change will occur on 1610 or something. Just plan it and let us know. We'll all work like crazy to either finish building the beast or move it to a smoother road.

Thanks.
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:44 pm

Thank you for bringing this to the public forum, Wichita. I do think this needs discussion and awareness of everyone.

I do know this is going to create havoc for at least some. I wrote a big long speal about a van that would be landlocked, but then I realized this wouldn't apply to small or mini vans. Yet.

I'm sure there are quite a few vehicles which will be end up being stranded (even if it's not trapped), when this change is implemented. I have use of a sportscar which would, if this change goes through, be rendered useless. No, my char doesn't have the time or years left to try to upgrade the road. Maybe future generations will. But there is no oil nearby, and with no car to drive to get it, not going to happen very quickly. I know of another sportscar that would no longer be able to visit a couple of locations beside them as well. Be a good time to sell it. Good luck with that!

If this change is also made for other cars and vans, imo this will make those currently in use rather unusable in most locations, and the choice of building these vehicles will no longer be feasible. Saves having to make fuel though, I suppose.

It is my understanding that Jos would like to increase the number of motorized vehicles in the game. I hope he was thinking of the dirt bike.
Capt. Mobious

Postby Capt. Mobious » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:05 pm

If they are thinking of making changes to dirt bikes and road bikes, please let it be in the amount you can carry on them! Or add a programming feature that would allow you to add a sidecar or something to it. Only being able to carry less than nine kilos on a dirt bike makes them rather useless for ferrying cargo.

Can we up it to at least 15 kilos, the amount a person can carry on foot? I don't care if they go a bit slower because of the weight but the extra carrying capacity would be appreciated by many, I suspect.
Bowser

Postby Bowser » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:21 pm

I have always been against all the changes to "improve the game" or make it "more realistic", but have always had the attitude that all changes can be adapted to and its no big deal.

Every change that has ever been made has had one goal in mind, to make something more difficult on the cantr people and make it take longer to do something. To add more steps to things, to make it take longer to do somethng.

Stop changing the rules in the middle of the game. Stop telling me what something does and then after I spend the time and resources making it, changing it's stats. Stop "Improving" the game. A vehicle is one of the most desirable objects in Cantr. Some are more expensive than others and to limit where cars can go is just crazy. all you will do is make it a punishment for those that thought big and made a Van. Station cars and dmall vans will remain unchanged and should be the vehicle of choice for big travels. The sportscar, the cheapest car choice will now become a piece of trash! No one would make a van now, just make a small van. Smart people will just make the car that can still use the sand road and the others will just be limited to the very rich who wish to go between two towns to wave. This change for "realisms" sake has no purpose except to punish the working class that finally made emough iron and steel to build that sportscar when they should have saved up a little more for the stationcar because they should have known a debate would have risen to argue which could really drive on a sand road.

The thought was a nice one, but don't act upon it. Thank you for sharing your idea with us.
Homer wrote: "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel. "
Missy

Postby Missy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:10 pm

Bowser wrote:I have always been against all the changes to "improve the game" or make it "more realistic", but have always had the attitude that all changes can be adapted to and its no big deal.

Every change that has ever been made has had one goal in mind, to make something more difficult on the cantr people and make it take longer to do something. To add more steps to things, to make it take longer to do somethng.

Stop changing the rules in the middle of the game. Stop telling me what something does and then after I spend the time and resources making it, changing it's stats. Stop "Improving" the game. A vehicle is one of the most desirable objects in Cantr. Some are more expensive than others and to limit where cars can go is just crazy. all you will do is make it a punishment for those that thought big and made a Van. Station cars and dmall vans will remain unchanged and should be the vehicle of choice for big travels. The sportscar, the cheapest car choice will now become a piece of trash! No one would make a van now, just make a small van. Smart people will just make the car that can still use the sand road and the others will just be limited to the very rich who wish to go between two towns to wave. This change for "realisms" sake has no purpose except to punish the working class that finally made emough iron and steel to build that sportscar when they should have saved up a little more for the stationcar because they should have known a debate would have risen to argue which could really drive on a sand road.

The thought was a nice one, but don't act upon it. Thank you for sharing your idea with us.

What he said. Only, I don't want to sound quite as blunt as he did. :lol:
I hate people.
Ice-Man

Postby Ice-Man » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:11 pm

Yea, I agree with Bowser.
Maelstrom

Postby Maelstrom » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:31 pm

*cough* upgrade the roads *cough*

There is a mechanism for that, in the game. Maybe this will encourage more of it.

I'm for the changes, even though some of my chars will be impacted 'negatively' by them.

It's a living game, it's constantly changing. It isn't that big a deal about the rules changing, the way I see if, because the game isn't about -winning-, or -beating / bending the rules- (to most), but about just playing it.

Life is change.

-Mael
Marcin24

Postby Marcin24 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:34 pm

No cars please...
Pieter de Groote

Postby Pieter de Groote » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:36 pm

Making a large vehicle is a long term project. The proposed change means that some of my characters spent dozens of years working on vehicles that become practically useless for the sake of realism. The real world has enough realism for me. Cantr doesn't need more than it currently has.

If this change is going to be implemented, than this is going to be the very last change I will witness that's making Cantr life more difficult.

In other words, this will make me quit the game.
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:38 pm

I agree with Bowser on this one too. It would've been nice if this were a poll. I have the feeling, they are going to change it anyway regardless of how many people DON'T want any changes to which roads certain vehicles can travel on.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:39 pm

I don't agree with the pick-up or tractor...

The rest seem reasonable...
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Pieter de Groote

Postby Pieter de Groote » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:42 pm

the_antisocial_hermit wrote:The rest seem reasonable...

Ever tried to build a bus?

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”