Computers

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Nalaris

Computers

Postby Nalaris » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:30 pm

Computers. They'd be difficult to make (new resource: Silicon?), requiring small engines, CPU's, Montiors and keyboards. Then there's all the stuff about getting plastic and the silicon and the metal...they'd be hard to make, in a nutshell.

But they'd enable instantaneous communication. E-mail. Plus infinite note storage with no extra weight. Plus a message board in game, on the in game internet.

I know that there's a limit on programmers, but it'd be nice if you'd put it on the list (probably several [hundred<million{and a half}>] pages long), life would be better.
TatteredShoeLace

Postby TatteredShoeLace » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:33 pm

Survey says.... XXX
Sorry friend, but I don't forsee this anytime soon. We already have instantaneous communication IG if you know where to look.
1223-4: You kill a elephant using a longbow.

Nick wrote:If you don't check your characters once a day, you're not going anywhere in Cantr. :P
Nalaris

Postby Nalaris » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:58 pm

But is it portable? I find it odd that of all my idea's, the first one I have that seems like it might be worth something to the community gets rejected immediately. I have a topic that, after it was started, I kept on wishing someone would hurry up and reject it.

In any case, it's too bad this one didn't make the list...
TatteredShoeLace

Postby TatteredShoeLace » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:58 am

Cantr has no powerlines, internet lines, or satelitte. We lack plastics, microelectronic skills, and even calculators. Cantr is very unique, and I'm sure you'll someday understand why computers play no role IG.
1223-4: You kill a elephant using a longbow.

Nick wrote:If you don't check your characters once a day, you're not going anywhere in Cantr. :P
wulf

Postby wulf » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:28 am

What is a computer? A tool for performing calculations with applications including dealing with large volumes of data. I think ideas like 21st Century computers, with email, message boards and the like, don't fit too well... but how about a 'note index' - a computer (for want of a better word) that would allow you to search all of your notes for a given bit of text.

Maybe rather than being portable, it could be a storage device for notes - it would be a real boon to the libraries and universities around the place, allowing them to find references to people, places and things that would take unfeasibly long if just trying to read every single note.

Wulf
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:08 pm

I recall a conversation with Jos in IRC.... Computers may happen ...but not for a looooong long while.... and just because a suggestion is rejected at the moment...doesn't always mean it is forever rejected...

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
UloDeTero

Postby UloDeTero » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:42 am

If you're looking for an instantaneous method or communication without the modern-ness, how about something like a Palantir?*

* - A kind of crystal-ball/videophone in Lord of the Rings
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:24 am

This is not your average Fantasy-RPG. There's no "magic" in cantr, although everything isn't exactly as in RL either.
Sho

Postby Sho » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:17 pm

And you missed the accent in "palantír." And they totally did not work as videophones, not even close.

But yes, Cantr is supposed to behave like reality, though not necessarily any specific time in history.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”