You should allow people to invent in Cantr

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Ahoyhoy

You should allow people to invent in Cantr

Postby Ahoyhoy » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:07 am

What exactly do I mean by that? Well let's use this as an example, helicopters in Cantr. It's pretty obvious that they will be made. If not there would not be helicopter engines, perhaps that's just an outdated thing but I'm going on the theory that they are. Well, you should allow helicopters to be made in the game, but you first have to have the technology developed by having people think of the idea and then come up with helicopters. Same thing can be applied to many other suggestions in the game such as body armor and even guns. I know people object to guns, but I don't see why, we have crossbows already, guns are the next logical step. Perhaps even fireworks can be allowed to be made for celebrations. And exchanging of ideas can be allowed too.
Augery

Postby Augery » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:41 am

The first person to make a helicopter gets to RP inventing it.
Ahoyhoy

Postby Ahoyhoy » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:06 am

Yes but the knowledge is already known by everyone. If Cantr really does want to be more realistic, they should enable people to think up ideas, this can create diversity in the cantr world and increased realism. I mean after all, a guy isn't born knowing how to make a helicopter....the current items should be allowed to remain I suppose, but any item have this should have to be researched.

Just my $0.02
wulf

Postby wulf » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:20 am

It has always struck me as odd that each of my characters can know how to build a long list of things when some of them haven't even seen the requisite materials! I'd much prefer to see a system where you start out hardly knowing anything. Some ideas you could pick up pretty quickly, like making a stick and stringing it into a simple bow, just by seeing somebody else who's done the same but others would require receiving training. Even simple tasks could vary in result between something that is quickly produced and works well compared to an amateurish attempt to reproduce it that takes ages to build and deterioates relatively quickly.

It would make skills and knowledge much more valuable commodities. What I've got no idea about is how you could retrofit something like that into the existing game!

Wulf
joo

Postby joo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:29 am

I think that taking away from all the characters' immediate knowledge would also take away from the "Cantrness" of the game - Cantr has it's own unique set of rules, and face it - people aren't going to spend billions of Cantr years researching how to build a helicopter (like in real life) when it takes long enough to make the thing it's self.
TatteredShoeLace

Postby TatteredShoeLace » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:16 am

But you missed the most crucial point in this argument. If you "created" inventions, the game would simply be clogged with more real life things....how would each thing get brought to life? By OOC begging on the forums for your char to go to space. If you want something in this game, ask nicely for it on the forums. IF its a good idea and can be implemented, you just may see it. Our PD works hard enough, having to personally cater to every invention would just be silly.
1223-4: You kill a elephant using a longbow.

Nick wrote:If you don't check your characters once a day, you're not going anywhere in Cantr. :P
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:41 pm

I think Augery hit it on the head. Roleplay it. It is up to players to add the flavor of the thrill of discovery. Even though I know something has been implemented, my characters are usually surprised the first time they see something new and interesting to them. That is part of the beauty of Cantr in my opinion. :) The world appears how you want it to, and the key to most of the fun is imagination, not programming.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Ahoyhoy

Postby Ahoyhoy » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:22 pm

Well I didn't suggest taking away from current knowledge. I merely suggested that you have to invent newer items and tools that are created. Like say you want to put a couch inside a house, well you could have people inventing and come up with a couch. And you could make the thing invented totally random.
TatteredShoeLace

Postby TatteredShoeLace » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:35 pm

Since Nick Roberts doesn't seem to be around to stomp your dreams, I'll take care of it. This is nonsense. 'Invent something totally random'? That is the opposite of the scientific process. And take a moment to consider programming this. I think its just bogus.

Nick wrote:If you don't check your characters once a day, you're not going anywhere in Cantr. :P
Ahoyhoy

Postby Ahoyhoy » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:52 pm

Hey...it's not like i'm saying do it tommorow. But it should definatly be considered for future considerations. And who said there's science in Cantr? Religion and Philosophy in Cantr hold almost as much water in Cantr than science does...there's no scientific process...a guy just tries to invent something and whamo, a couch is thought up.
TatteredShoeLace

Postby TatteredShoeLace » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:24 pm

So you want to have a project called "inventing" and it will be like Christmas morning? No. makes no sense, even in the cantrian world.

Ahoyhoy

Postby Ahoyhoy » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:27 pm

In your opinion it doesn't. In my opinion it does.
kroner

Postby kroner » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:18 pm

yeah, how do you propose to implement something like this? it's not really feasable. someone (i think it was sho) had an idea for introducing plans that would require people to "know" how to build something before they could do it by having the plans. this is the closest idea i've heard to yours that actually made some sense and could possibly be implemented. but i doubt it ever will be since i'm not sure it would be good for the game.
DOOM!
Nixit

Postby Nixit » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:21 pm

I suggested something like this.... it's way too complicated.
Just because you're older, smarter, stronger, more talented... doesn't mean you're BETTER.
Augery

Postby Augery » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:45 pm

So far as Cantr not having Science, I have a guy wandering aroound Xiria trying to work out equations for how things work.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”