You should allow people to invent in Cantr

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Pie

Postby Pie » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:38 pm

ah yes.. well, to make an ICBM, you would first have to have a SPACE SHUTTLE!!! And we don't have those, now do we?

you can only base your ideas of of currently working cantr things, such as, ships, but you can make any ship you want, if you get a members aproval.

And also, this member will not be a newbey, this member will probably be somone experianced, and trusted, as to not let you make an ICBM.

PIE SAVES THE DAY AGAIN!!
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:48 pm

You didn't address my argument at all, you just kept ranting. Aside from that, ICBM's were developed more than 30 years before space shuttles. You still lose.
RAM DISK is not an installation procedure!
El_Skwidd

Postby El_Skwidd » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:56 pm

Pie, did you completely disregard Shoelace's post?

New weapons invented by the players would have to be approved by whatever department does that. That isn't a one-person process. That ISN'T a one person process. The department gets together and discusses the balance and effect each implementation will have on Cantr. Then, the item, if it even gets approved, gets sent to ProgD to get programmed into the game. I don't know how much time or effort that takes.

Now, that doesn't seem like a lot of work. However, you've got to remember that you aren't the only person that would use this if implemented. Hundreds of people play this game with thousands of characters. If that system of inventing was implemented, the staff would have to dump all of their time into keeping it running. Bug fixes? Naw, we invent things now.

Because all of the new inventions would have to go through the staff ANYWAY, inventing IG is no different than posting a suggestion on the suggestion forums. The only difference you've proposed is that only one person would recieve the blueprints. That would be a major pro to this suggestion, but the cons outweigh the pros. By a lot. If you want to claim to be an inventor, be the first to build a set of hoists and pulleys in your town and find their use (if there is one). Then you can use that information however you want: sell it, use it to boost yourself above the competition, whatever.

PIE: IF YOU READ THIS POST, NOD YOUR HEAD!
Cdls wrote:Explaining Cantr to a newb would be like explaining sex to a virgin.

Let the world hear these words once more:
Save us, oh Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen!
Pie

Postby Pie » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:06 am

well, you have a point there.. but if somone wanted to make, somthinkg.. like a nuke.. and the programmers department have alredy made TNT, then it would be simple. All you would have to do, is make it so this TNT is alot dedlyer, and it is called a nuke.

so that means, right now, i could try and invint a tank, and the programming department could easly make it, but they couldnt make it shoot anything without extra programing.

RIGHT THERE!!! IF YOU WANTED TO BUILD AN ICBM, WE WOULD NEED TO HAVE A ROKET!!!! IF WE DON'T HAVE A ROKET, YOU CANT MAKE A VARYATION OF A ROKET!!!

In fact, i EXPLISETLY said this, with different words, HERE!!!
ah yes.. well, to make an ICBM, you would first have to have a SPACE SHUTTLE!!! And we don't have those, now do we?

you can only base your ideas of of currently working cantr things, such as, ships, but you can make any ship you want, if you get a members aproval.

Basicly, what i have stated IN THESE TWO QUOTES, is that, SURE, you could build an ICBM, but it wouldn't explode, UNLES IT HADE AN EXPLOSEV TO WORK OF OV!!! AND, it wouldent fly, UNLES IT HAD A ROKET TO WORK OF OV!!!

Oo, and *nods his head*

Don't worry, ile get a perfict retort for your post, and i will post it as an edit for this post, i just have to think of it. :wink:

Pick In Enter

Sho

Postby Sho » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:11 am

You continue to miss the point: who's going to wade through hundreds of invention requests? All the repetitive arm-waving in the world's not going to make people less irritated by your failure to address the fundamental issue.
Pie

Postby Pie » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:31 am

alright... sho, how about this.

THINK OF SOMTHING!!!!!!!!!

SERIOUSLY, this is a good idea, AND ALL YOU ARE DOING IS DISPROVING IT! NOT FINDING SOLUTIONS!! THINK OF SOME IMPOSIBLE TO FIND RESOURSE AND SUGGEST IT!!!

[sarcastic tone] oo, heres an idea.[srcastic tone*]

INK!! OR INK AND FIVE GRAMS OF FEATHERS!!!!
YOU think of how ink will work, ime buisy.

OK!!! Somthing that i thoght up, but don't like. THIS IS TO EL SQUID!!

A LIMIT. a limit EXPLISITLY made by the ENTIER RESOURSE AND TAILOR DEPARTMENT. A limit, such as,

"NO INVINTIONS PAST THE SCIENTIFIC POINT OF 1800" Or somthing of the sort.

as for balance, IT WILL BALANCE ITSELF.

HISTORY LESSON!!! In history, people have INVINTED new wepons, wich, as quikly as posible, were followed by ways to counter those wepons. EXAMPLE!!! Sword, SHIELD! Cannon, IRONCLAD( the first metal steam powerd boat) Nuke, RADAR, AND INTERSEPTING MISSIALS. (do they have intersepting missiles yet? Ime pretty shure, but, hey, you never know)

But during those points were there is no counter for the wepon, the person who has the wepon will be able to conquer many places, with new things, like, tommy guns, and grenades, (Just kidding) THE IMPORTANT PART IS COMING!!! INVINTION IS SUPPOSED TO ALLOW CARACTERS TO DO ALL OF THE BALANCING!!!!

Example, sword, shield. Cannon, ironclad. NUKE, RADAR, AND INTERSEPTING MISSIALS!!!

Pick In Enter

Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:34 am

You keep doing it Pie, Edited. You are ignoring all of our arguments and pushing your own. Go back, read our posts and think of something to counter them. If, as I suspect, you have nothing, sit down and shutup.
RAM DISK is not an installation procedure!
Pie

Postby Pie » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:44 am

YOU SHUT UP! (edited for profanity)
INK!! OR INK AND FIVE GRAMS OF FEATHERS!!!!
YOU think of how ink will work, ime buisy

MAKE INK HARD TO FIND AND MAKE!! SO THAT NEWSPAWNS CAN'T JUST START INVINTING!! this will make les invintions, and make only the more serious ones. witch will make it so the Programing department dosent have to stop all of the bug repairing and the more important things. LESS INVINTIONS WILL COME OUT OF THIS!!

IMIT. a limit EXPLISITLY made by the ENTIER RESOURSE AND TAILOR DEPARTMENT. A limit, such as,

"NO INVINTIONS PAST THE SCIENTIFIC POINT OF 1800" Or somthing of the sort.

to ceep people FROM INVINTING ICBM's. and as for the "all important" balancing issue.....

HISTORY LESSON!!! In history, people have INVINTED new wepons, wich, as quikly as posible, were followed by ways to counter those wepons. EXAMPLE!!! Sword, SHIELD! Cannon, IRONCLAD( the first metal steam powerd boat) Nuke, RADAR, AND INTERSEPTING MISSIALS. (do they have intersepting missiles yet? Ime pretty shure, but, hey, you never know)

But during those points were there is no counter for the wepon, the person who has the wepon will be able to conquer many places, with new things, like, tommy guns, and grenades, (Just kidding) THE IMPORTANT PART IS COMING!!!INVINTION IS SUPPOSED TO ALLOW CARACTERS TO DO ALL OF THE BALANCING!!!!

balancing issue, solved. read this quote and "try" to understand it. OOH, YOUV ALLREDY TRYED THAT!!!

Invintion is to create advantages in sertan powerful groups that have enough resourses to do it. TO MAKE AN INBALANCE IN THE GAME!!! And then, to either have THE RICH ROLL PLAYING of TRYING TO STOP THEM FROME MAKING THIS DEVICE, or creating a counter before they mass produse it. CARACTER'S BALANCING THE GAME UNSTEAD OF OOC BALANCING.
Last edited by Pie on Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

Pick In Enter

the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:45 am

Okay.. he might not be listening and I agree that he needs to go back and read them and come up with something substantive to back his arguments up with, but you don't have to directly insult him like you did, Racetyme.

It would be appreciated if you'd edit that line. I don't care about words like that being used, but it's different when you say "shiznit, I messed up" or "that's the shiznit" and when you say "you stupid shiznit." It's even different than if you'd said "you're being stupid."

Thanks.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:47 am

Pie, I don't care if you put Racetyme's phrase in quotes, that goes for you too. :P
Pie

Postby Pie » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:49 am

done. AND, just tell me what posts i have missed. and i will deal with them emediatly.
Last edited by Pie on Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pick In Enter

the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:51 am

Thanks Pie. :)
Pie

Postby Pie » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:55 am

your welcom... now kindly tell me what posts i have missed, and i will deal with them emidiatly. and they had better be good. it i have alredy explained them....... bad, horible things will happen, and you wont know where they are coming frome.

it seams as if nowon is telling me how, or why i am stupid, or that i am ignoring your arguments.

Pick In Enter

Bubba

Postby Bubba » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:32 am

Pie,
Please read the posts from the other players and try to understand the other side of the agrument they are trying to explain. Just as you are frustrated when they do not see your point, They get just as frustrated when you keep saying the same thing over and over again.

Racetyme,
Please watch your language.

Thanks
TatteredShoeLace

Postby TatteredShoeLace » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:49 am

Pie, I'll cut you a deal. If you would like inventions, I will give you the closest thing we can do to that. If you have a suggestion that you would like implemented, PM me directly with your 'invention' and I will personally see if cantr can allow it. I will not accept rockets, nukes, tanks, slight variations of things already IG, or ficticious things. For each thing you must let me know:
-why we need it
-how it will work in cantr
-resources/machines used
-final affect on gameplay

I will personally look at each suggestion and if applicable, send it immediately to the RD and staff forum pages for their opinions. If things work out and it enters the game, you can 100% claim it for yourself. But these posts must stop immediately before people get too violent or someone has an aneurism and passes out.

Deal?
1223-4: You kill a elephant using a longbow.

Nick wrote:If you don't check your characters once a day, you're not going anywhere in Cantr. :P

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”