Recognition

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Kokunai

Recognition

Postby Kokunai » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:08 am

I have a suggestion.

How about after a certain period of time, depending on time you know the character you would forget what that character looks like.

For example, someone steals a few notes from town and runs off, well for the length of time he was there people saw him, so they put note thief in for the description. But, after more than a year(game time) he doesn't come back those people will not recognize that person.

And, to further clarify, you could put in that if you do business with that person for a lengthy period of time, you won't forget who they are for a much longer time. Just seems this would add more reality into the game.

You wouldn't know a guy who ran across your yard stealing a lawn gnome, more than a year or so. But a good friend you would recognize in 20 years.
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:16 am

Why don't we have yard gnomes? That would be great! :D

[EDITED in an attempt to include worthwhile discussion: :D]
Oh, and I think this idea has been discussed before. I wonder how much programming it would take. Granted, it would be nice in a way, but with the way my brain works that kind of happens anyway...I mean, every once in a while I will run into characters I had named at one point in time and have absolutely no idea how my character knew that person. So I figure it must not have been that important.

And my charries never forget a thief! :twisted:
Last edited by wichita on Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Tensei

Re: Recognition

Postby Tensei » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:29 am

Kokunai wrote:I have a suggestion.

How about after a certain period of time, depending on time you know the character you would forget what that character looks like.

For example, someone steals a few notes from town and runs off, well for the length of time he was there people saw him, so they put note thief in for the description. But, after more than a year(game time) he doesn't come back those people will not recognize that person.

And, to further clarify, you could put in that if you do business with that person for a lengthy period of time, you won't forget who they are for a much longer time. Just seems this would add more reality into the game.

You wouldn't know a guy who ran across your yard stealing a lawn gnome, more than a year or so. But a good friend you would recognize in 20 years.

I agree, you shouldn't know that dude after 20 years unless you were dating his girlfriend or something.
Tensei

Postby Tensei » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:05 am

I wonder how much programming it would take.
Well I would think you would use arrays. For example, for each account iD#

ID#100

char#2

ID1002(currenttown)

The codeing would go something like

IF ID1002(currenttown) = ID1011(currenthome) Then start timer(tim).

When one ID leaves, say ID1011, then it would end the timmer and have some more code like

If tim < 100 then recon=(current day + 50days)
if tim > 100 and < 200 then recon=(current day+100days)
if tim > 200 then recon=(current day+150days)

when current day = recon then forgetname(ID1011)

and because your USERID is probably a global variable you wouldn't have to have tons of codeing PER user. What you would do is only have the game acess the database timer variablies when you do a CANTR DESC to check the timmer as well.
Agar

Postby Agar » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:19 am

Get your characters to up in thier thirties, then travel around and see how many times what you want to be coded just happens naturally.

It's already a part of the society of cantr. We don't need coding and more arrays and updates to make it happen.
Reality was never my strong point.
Kokunai

Postby Kokunai » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:13 am

Well, the reason I say this is because a tilte like "broke my lock, stole my iron" Will get you killed 10 years down the road. I see your point that I will forget who many people are. But a title like this will not be forgotten. I think it should be after a time.

Edit: No I don't have a negative title anywhere.......yet :twisted:
Just A Bill

Postby Just A Bill » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:06 pm

Perhaps you shouldn't break locks and steal iron...
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:42 pm

:lol:

True, that helps.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Anthony Roberts

Postby Anthony Roberts » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:35 pm

Also, you must take into effect the length of time someone has known another character. If your character RPs that they are married to another character, one of them leaves for a 10 year span or something and comes back, and they're like "I was married to someone, where's my husband?" and the guy is like "I was married, but she must have died", and everyone else has NO IDEA who this woman is, cause she's been gone for too long, so, in the end, when she introduces herself, the PLAYER will remember who she is and have their character go "Oh, you're my wife!", but clearly, as per the setup of the game, he had forgotten what she looked like.

The fact of the matter is, a good idea but a bad idea. Forgetfulness should surely be roleplayed like it is now (Ie: You may name a character something, but next time you two meet, you might be like "Where did I meet this person? Where are they from?", but if you know someone for a long long time, you'll easily remember that information yourself. Of course, you could cheat and name the character where they were from, when you met them, etc. But that's uncool.)

Now, if say the system determined that you knew the other character for say, two or three years, then you'll never forget them. Otherwise, if only less than that set time, you forget them shortly after. However, again, they may have been important to you, and you should remember who they were. You can't exactly "program" this into the perfect system, as to why it should best be not implemented.

I won't move the topic to either catagory (Accepted / Rejected) until there is more conversation.
-- Anthony Roberts
Tensei

Postby Tensei » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:56 am

Anthony Roberts wrote:Also, you must take into effect the length of time someone has known another character. If your character RPs that they are married to another character, one of them leaves for a 10 year span or something and comes back, and they're like "I was married to someone, where's my husband?" and the guy is like "I was married, but she must have died", and everyone else has NO IDEA who this woman is, cause she's been gone for too long, so, in the end, when she introduces herself, the PLAYER will remember who she is and have their character go "Oh, you're my wife!", but clearly, as per the setup of the game, he had forgotten what she looked like.

The fact of the matter is, a good idea but a bad idea. Forgetfulness should surely be roleplayed like it is now (Ie: You may name a character something, but next time you two meet, you might be like "Where did I meet this person? Where are they from?", but if you know someone for a long long time, you'll easily remember that information yourself. Of course, you could cheat and name the character where they were from, when you met them, etc. But that's uncool.)

Now, if say the system determined that you knew the other character for say, two or three years, then you'll never forget them. Otherwise, if only less than that set time, you forget them shortly after. However, again, they may have been important to you, and you should remember who they were. You can't exactly "program" this into the perfect system, as to why it should best be not implemented.

I won't move the topic to either catagory (Accepted / Rejected) until there is more conversation.

Very good points! Your quite right that there is no programming way to put in the RP emotions of how well you know someone. I just hope if I happen to kill the King, when I go back to the city again 20 years later the guard actually RP's it correctly. And if they did, as soon as you walked into town, point at you and say "King Killer!", you could always roleplay, "How could you be so sure, the King has been dead 20 years, how can you be certain it was me!"
Wim van de Griendt

Postby Wim van de Griendt » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:06 am

Tensei wrote: I just hope if I happen to kill the King, when I go back to the city again 20 years later the guard actually RP's it correctly. And if they did, as soon as you walked into town, point at you and say "King Killer!", you could always roleplay, "How could you be so sure, the King has been dead 20 years, how can you be certain it was me!"

How do you know that he is dead? You probably were there when it happened. :lol:
"Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life." -- Immanuel Kant
Schme

Postby Schme » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:05 pm

How do you determine who is more memorable? Some people you could know for years (the clerk at a local store, for example.)

But you do not actually know him too well, do not joke with him like you do your friends, and suchlike (unless you do.)

Perhaps you know someone for a long time, but they are not memorable, as say, Charles Manson might be.

Just a thought.
"One death is a tragedy, a million is just statistics."
Joseph Stalin
Anthony Roberts

Postby Anthony Roberts » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:06 am

REJECTED, purely because there is no programmable possibility to properly produce the proposed project.

I hope you like my usage of the letter P. My next rejection will be based on the letter C. :lol:
-- Anthony Roberts

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”