More Server Time

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Alexander

More Server Time

Postby Alexander » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:26 pm

Well, I've spent my first whole week playing Cantr.

It does tend to be addicting as some have said!

But, can we up the log in time from 200 to say, 300 minutes?

I have found, that when interacting with other characters, especially when there are many to interact with, several projects going on, etc, that 200 minutes just runs out too quickly.

One of my characters was involved the other day in a town meeting. There was much to say and do.

But before we got anywhere near the solutions which were sought, my time was down to like 2 minutes.

It seems all to easy to run out of the 200 minute log in when there is a lot of interacting going on.

Server resources would probably suffer even a bit less. Logging on, reloading the events page etc, takes more server resources than does just letting a page sit idol, while waiting for a character to reply.

As it stands now, people are watching that 200 minute limit so closely, that they tend to log out while waiting for replies and such, and then log back in again to see the latest results, in an attempt to save their minutes.

This logging in and out certainly increases the server resources necessary.

Can the time limit please be increased?

Can this be increased?
Strange days indeed
Surly

Postby Surly » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:44 pm

Ah, the familiar argument of new players...

Believe me, I think everyone has requested this at some point. You'll adapt... :wink:
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Alexander

Postby Alexander » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:04 pm

Ahh, a frequent complaint of new players - and long time players as well, from some of those I have spoken with.

Well, the ones who run the game should really consider this.

Why make the server work harder than necessary?

Why make players adapt to something that they obviously want to change?

I think the Cantr owners and those who want to see Cantr be a huge success, may think differently about accommodating people. I am sure they want Cantr to be a success, and that success will come as the wants and desires of the overall players are met.

They want more monitary donations? Then they will meet the needs. They want to eventually be so successful that they may even charge a regular subscription fee? Then they will meet the needs.

Interestingly enough, the other day, I watched as my son tried to get a couple of his friends interested in Cantr. This very subject came up.

"yeah, it's ok - a bit slow, and you can only stay on for awhile" my son said to his friends as they looked at the screen. And then? Then quickly went to another action rpg online game that all the kids frequent and as a parent, I know, they also spend all day at the site.

Cantr wants to be popular? Then good ideas should not be simply dismissed...
Strange days indeed
Floyd

Postby Floyd » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:57 pm

This Just aint necassary, and besides, not everyone has 300 minutes to spend playing the game that is 5 hours after all, which is quite a chunk of time.. I think 200 minutes is the perfect amount
Schme wrote:We all knew it was going to happen sooner or later, and most likely sooner. When you have such a lifestyle, everyone, including yourself, knows that you are likely to die.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:04 pm

well I think 3 hours a day is good enough for anyone. if we made it more it could seriously ruine peoples lives... I can already stay on Cantr for most of the day just by logging out and in every half hour or so for about 10 mins... Imagine if we had another hr and a half! No we don't need it.
My old banner ;)
Floyd

Postby Floyd » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:12 pm

You just need to learn to manage your minutes a little better, i very rarly run out of minutes, and about 75% of my charries are VERY active
Schme wrote:We all knew it was going to happen sooner or later, and most likely sooner. When you have such a lifestyle, everyone, including yourself, knows that you are likely to die.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:16 pm

Alexander, you're not the only to play this game and not everyone has as much time as you or even myself (who's on the computer like it was another world) to go on and therefore it wouldn't be fair to have more time for those that won't be able to use that extra time.
My old banner ;)
Floyd

Postby Floyd » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:17 pm

Amen 8)
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:45 pm

Well also considering this isn't really a game for children. There are too many talks of polotics and economy for any child besides a genius to understand. So not that many peole can just sit on the comp and play games. Most people here have jobs and other responsibilities...
My old banner ;)
Pie

Postby Pie » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:59 pm

ahem, i am a chiled, and i understand almost everthing you say.

ive only ran out of time twice. and it was when i was creating anothr government, WILE i was finding a new land.
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
Floyd

Postby Floyd » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:18 pm

Pie wrote:ahem, i am a chiled, and i understand almost everthing you say.
If only i could say that about you pie.. If only...
Anthony Roberts

Postby Anthony Roberts » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:51 pm

Alexander wrote:They want to eventually be so successful that they may even charge a regular subscription fee?

First of all, this will never happen.

Alexander wrote:Cantr wants to be popular? Then good ideas should not be simply dismissed...

Second of all, it's an unnecessary and poor idea. It's only a good idea to those of you poor at managing your time.

Probably because...

Alexander wrote:Server resources would probably suffer even a bit less. Logging on, reloading the events page etc, takes more server resources than does just letting a page sit idol, while waiting for a character to reply.

Logging on, logging back off, etc, wastes not much more resources than logging on and sitting around. Why? You have to refresh the page to see any changes anyway, so you're almost using the same amount. Not only that, you really shouldn't be refreshing the page, as that saps away your minutes for being logged in.

Figure out a way to use your minutes in a more efficient manner, the other 1,000 Cantr players did it, you can too.

This thread is hereby relocated to REJECTED Suggestions.
-- Anthony Roberts
Floyd

Postby Floyd » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:01 pm

It was rejected? Oh good :)

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:29 pm

Too much time online? Me?

*Looks over shoulder at wife, who has commented to this effect many times in the past*

But in my own defense, I am online much of the time. When I am not out of the house at work, I am in the house, online, because that is where one of my businesses is - online.

But it is also true that my son and a couple of his girlfriends are the ones that are on Cantr most of the time (just to ease my own guilt)

When I first played Cantr is when I first ran myself out of time. I didn't realize the time limit. Then I adjusted. I would log out and back in again, as everyone must do. Then, as I started to know and interact with more and more characters, I found it more difficult to manage the time.

Nonetheless - one comment above does make sense, and I had not considered it -

therefore it wouldn't be fair to have more time for those that won't be able to use that extra time

Thinking of it in this light, I tend to be persuaded that the current time limit may just be ok. So much could potentially happen while we are away at our real lives.

Now - I will quietly go away, and log in to see what the latest developments might be with my character.

*looks over shoulder at the wife - who appears to be looking over her shoulder at me* :oops:
Floyd

Postby Floyd » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:45 pm

my son and a couple of his girlfriends

Lucky kid :wink:

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”