Families, birth, pregnancies - generations

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Caesar
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milkyway, Our Galaxy, Time & Space

Postby Caesar » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:47 pm

Miri wrote:@Caesar
I don't understand what should be wrong with your sense of humor. It's perfectly perfect for me.

you see [charname] go down a tree / lose fur and stand up straight

Hmm.. Strange. normally there's only few persons that really like it. So I started doubting my own sense of humor.
- Every person lost in war is two too many.
- Respect comes from two sides and must be earned. Nobody has the right to it because of a title, sex, age, race or birth.
- What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
- I believe in True Love, do you?
BZR

Postby BZR » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:30 pm

There should be choice, definetely. Spawn or birth.

Birth option only for experienced players, maybe 100 days of playing.

I don't like FTO, though my char is nineteen today, because I didn't feel like a child. My parents had something like 40 childern after I was born and didn't pay attention to me. They even mated in my presence.
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:16 pm

Caesar - Seems my sarcasm was lost as well. ;)

Also, I kinda agree with Doug and Mirri... well drop the word kinda and just copy-past some of my FTO "rants" over here.

And the "problem" with Newspawns isn't fixed with babies as a good chunk of children in FTO sleep to death (or get locked in a building for not crapping out rainbow sunshine).

With a newspawn or "new baby" there is this small "Is it a new player? Do I have to TEACH them now?" etc etc etc... but if the thing "don't wake up" after being spoken too... well I, as a player, simply let them starve after that.

The "baby thing" wouldn't change any of that except you get a bunch of "abusive" parents with lots of neglect... OH WAIT. :lol:

Personally I'ma let my current character in FTO DIE and try ONE MORE TIME... if I'm "let down" and get the same garbage I did before (which I do 100% expect to happen)... then I'm stamping a big fat "F- NO" on babies... regardless of the "spawn option" because, in my eyes, it will no longer/ever work.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:18 pm

BZR wrote:I don't like FTO, though my char is nineteen today, because I didn't feel like a child. My parents had something like 40 childern after I was born and didn't pay attention to me. They even mated in my presence.

That's a shame 'cause you're lots of fun to RP with. You should try to stick to roleplaying with a few of the siblings. ;) Always fun.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Trae

Re: Families, birth, pregnancies - generations

Postby Trae » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:43 am

Alexander wrote:I see there is an option in Cantr for sexual fulfillment.

There is?? Where? I've never seen this. (Not that I'm looking for any specific reason. Just curious. ^_^)
tazer

Postby tazer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:48 pm

I'm really confused... what is FTO?
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:51 pm

Funnily, we do have a thread with this title.

http://forum.cantr.org/viewtopic.php?t=17758&start=0
Pretty in pink.
Misato

Postby Misato » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:23 am

Trae wrote:

There is?? Where? I've never seen this. (Not that I'm looking for any specific reason. Just curious. ^_^)

I agree, I read that a week or two ago and was very curious...and confused...
ImageImage
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:47 am

Misato wrote:
Trae wrote:

I agree, I read that a week or two ago and was very curious...and confused...

I don't think it's a button...
My old banner ;)
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:59 am

One, I think the person was having a joke at some of y'all's expense...

Two, is there really a point to this thread being about any longer? I honestly do not see birth working in Cantr, even with the inclusion of spawning. As things are now, Cantr is in NO MANNER "natural" so, funnily enough, throwing something like this at Cantr makes the whole game feel unnatural.

Babies, whatever, etc would fix the current "spawn problems" but create so many more problems. One of those being that (some) players don't want to be a baby! Restricting players is annoying and people don't like it. Another is that it requires people to "consent" to raising the thing. Which, if left to only players who are X amount of days old would technically work to avoid the "Is this a new player" annoyance that plagues "other game... s".

HOWEVER, sleepy/agro/whatever babies would still happen and it would slowly discourage people from "trying". This would also mean more restrictions on baby characters as well as restrictions on "parents". Needing to make sure they active, etc... blah blah blah.

I 100% do not see how this can work in any game that isn't single player.
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:17 am

Go Spawnsacs!!!
Zlotnik

Postby Zlotnik » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:29 am

Jos Elkink, July 2005
It'll be implemented, the whole thing has been worked out already, I think you guys can stop wasting your time discussing it ... (But feel free if you want to, of course ...)

Last post, November 2009
My post 7th January 2012

Sorry i want to waste a bit of your time :)
But it's about time to do something don't you think?

I read all. I see no sense in implementing all at once. I see big need to implement something fast and test/try other possibilities by RP live in game later.
I see nice icons of males and females now but game lacks for me more social options especially for female players that's why i was just sucked by this parental topic ;)

I. My fist idea is to implement in a very simple way relation for newborn of being a someone's child . We need only:

- button for newspawns at registration to choose birth or random appearance
- "having baby" button to get agreement of two chars of different sex
(this option should be hidden for most of time - maybe it'd appear when giving ring or other common but characteristic item to the second char) with random chance (like breaking lock ) of giving birth in 48 hours
- after lets say 15 days of fun of babysitting baby appears on "adoptive list" in database and starts phase of waiting for a finished product - player ready to make a newborn char :)
- if there is more players waiting for new son/dauther-char there should be random chance that both (or very small that more) would appear in the same location with message to each newspawn that he was born from this one specific female at her location (and remember her, like a location of appearance, for life)
- char should have at least in 75% similar skills with his/hers parents, there's needed an open question about fatherhood
-implementation of simple baby behavior as droping dung(?), crying, baby laughter (last is essentian or rest won't have any sense)

What the baby would be?
It should be a NPC, half-char, half-object:
- killable by chars, animals hunger
- seen on chars list
- dragable
- packable and unpackable by any char into and from a carry cot or something like that
- fillable with food, milk,
- it should cry when being taken from mother
- it should be born even if father would die in 48 hours before appearance of baby
- wounds of parents should affect chance of successful birth
Here is a question for programmers how likely is it to be implemented in this form.

What would happen with baby later would depend only of chars.

Why we need it?
- more RP in game, a lot more RP in game
- fixing lack of important part of game, dehumanized character of cantr, giving some more normality into chaos and decay of falling civilisations
- adding a basic element of building civilisations which are based on passing knowledge, wealth, experiance to the next generation which is bounded also by blood with previous one
- I personally really suffer seeing poor Kingdoms which are a shadows of whole Kingdom idea... which is strictly linked with blood succession. I think that lack of this mechanism makes very hard creating and maintaining
- this partly solves problem of favoring ghosts/zombie states, rewarding a bit really living societies and would strengthen bonds between chars
- it'd be optional so we don't know what impact it would have on cantr world and many people would be really happy to check it out, maybe it will fail but will provide more variety to our virtual world
- we need some live in game, some random events of babies, nature to feel even in most sleepy location that world of cantr not sleeps

II. Second idea about how to rise child between phase of babybot and phase of more or less mature newspawn is all up to you.

I think it would be much easier to talk about it after seeing effects of implementation of idea I, especially seeing influence on other chars behavior and behaviour of not incidental newborns :)

All being a baby rising topic is still opened but is not necessary to start with most obvious, easiest to implement changes.
Cantr world is so simplified that we shouldn't think so much about problem of age, which is from start conventional as being naked or not. We should think more about what opportunities it would give us not about what we can make more complex to be more real.

BTW it would be good moment to do some changes in visualisation of all the rest newspawns appearance. I mean Caesar's idea.

- Washing ashore (Coastal Locations?)
- Falling from the sky (Anywhere.) (*)
- Arrive riding a giant frog (Swamp?)
- Emerge from the woods (Woodlands.)
- Getting up from under a thin layer of sand (Desert.)
- Rising up from the water. (Swamp.)
- Come rolling down the hills. (Hills.) (**)
- Being found in the grass (Grasslands.)

I would add being dropped by a stork or being found in cabbage(?), jumped out like a rabbit from a hemp . (3 popular sayings in Poland)
More options gives more fun from seeing interesting event, also gives pretext to start more create conversation with newspawn than saying read laws and take food from container.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:36 pm

I've only read Zlotnik's commentary at the moment.
This sounds a lot like FTO, actually, which I've never played but have heard of the systems it uses and their players, etc.
I don't particularly like this idea at all, to be honest.

If a newspawn really wants to learn the history of the world, then they'll ask and hopefully the older characters will tell. It will save a lot of talking IMO.
Zlotnik

Postby Zlotnik » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:54 am

Sorry i don't know what FTO is.
I don't understand what exactly you don't like in my proposition could you write more? ;)

I'm not going to defend all parts of my prosition as long as any even the most primitive way of implementing relation for newspawn of being a someone's child would be accepted and possible to implement as one of options.

I really care only about implementation of these 2 basic things:
1. New option for players to spawn their new char as a son/daughter of 1 female char who agreed to have children with somebody.
2. Letting chars to transfer genes to offspring and make spawning more determinated by activity of chars not only by dehumanised statistics.

This would let cantr world and chars evolve in some direction, not so chaoticly like now and develop stronger cultures. I want to see families of for example gold miners becoming better in their work with each next generation, faster development of active societies and faster falling of half-dead societies. I want to see more and stronger relations between chars what makes players more active and locations more live.

All being baby, having baby concepts is possible even now with RP but not used often because it requires silent contracts between chars and it make a small blockade to make it more common even if it is basicly natural for everybody.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:09 am

Jos moved this to accepted without one iota of input from the players. I'm moving it back.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”