Families, birth, pregnancies - generations

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:41 pm

I don't think it should be like FTO where it is the only way - spawning should also be an option.
Caesar
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milkyway, Our Galaxy, Time & Space

Postby Caesar » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:07 pm

Other possibilities should be (Although you normally just RP those kind of things);

- Washing ashore (Coastal Locations?)
- Falling from the sky (Anywhere.) (*)
- Arrive riding a giant frog (Swamp?)
- Emerge from the woods (Woodlands.)
- Getting up from under a thin layer of sand (Desert.)
- Rising up from the water. (Swamp.)
- Come rolling down the hills. (Hills.) (**)
- Being found in the grass (Grasslands.)

* Would also instantly kill subject.
** Would possibly kill subject.

And many, many more!
- Every person lost in war is two too many.
- Respect comes from two sides and must be earned. Nobody has the right to it because of a title, sex, age, race or birth.
- What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
- I believe in True Love, do you?
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:55 pm

Yeah that's a good idea Caesar, kill characters because their player didn't want to wait X amount of time and have them born but rather spawned. :roll:

I'm with Darel though, it is rather boring... and most people ignore those that "can't help" with whatever so Babies and players are not "bothered with" until the character is 1 and then 5. After that they are a "typical member" of the colony.

That's approximately a month before other players "let you" RP play the game with them. You think ignoring newspawns is bad? :lol:
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:59 pm

Dudel wrote:Yeah that's a good idea Caesar, kill characters because their player didn't want to wait X amount of time and have them born but rather spawned. :roll:

I'm with Darel though, it is rather boring... and most people ignore those that "can't help" with whatever so Babies and players are not "bothered with" until the character is 1 and then 5. After that they are a "typical member" of the colony.

That's approximately a month before other players "let you" RP play the game with them. You think ignoring newspawns is bad? :lol:
Maybe I should start handing you out names of people in my colony. You piss me off with your "its boring and nobody cares about Rping with you" shit. Just because you happen to have a bad experience, doesn't mean you have the right to lump everyone in together. Because, I'm sorry, but in our colony, people to RP with babies, from the moment they're awake, myself included, unless they are the *is hungry* *wants attention* *needs food* type.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:06 pm

Rebma19 wrote:
Dudel wrote:Yeah that's a good idea Caesar, kill characters because their player didn't want to wait X amount of time and have them born but rather spawned. :roll:

Maybe I should start handing you out names of people in my colony. You piss me off with your "its boring and nobody cares about Rping with you" shit. Just because you happen to have a bad experience, doesn't mean you have the right to lump everyone in together. Because, I'm sorry, but in our colony, people to RP with babies, from the moment they're awake, myself included, unless they are the *is hungry* *wants attention* *needs food* type.

Seconded. And it's getting annoying now, Dudel. You post the same over and over again. We know it, FTO sucks.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:39 pm

This doesn't go here, but...

Like I said before, "Unless you get sit with the 'golden few' you are pretty much screwed."

Wiro, Reb... you two would be some of the "golden few"... THANK YOU! X|

But it is on that ground alone that I'd rather not have babies etc... cause you are STUCK, as a player, with the people who "bore" your character.

With the option of spawning AS WELL, it would be tolerable. Especially with still being allowed to have 15 characters.

I'd tell you something, if FTO allowed me AT LEAST 3 characters... my ONE would be very sleepy... until he got to about 5 then would simply... leave. I'd have at least one of the other two that "got lucky" with his "spawn location".
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:38 pm

Cause I can't edit my post...

ALSO: I just thought of a HUGE advantage to births.

You can PICK when you "get a newspawn". Basically you can prepare for it, its not randomly disruptive all "BOOM HERE IS A NEW GUY" as sometimes you just... REALLY don't wanna deal with one.

I know that's a bad way to think about newspawns but sometimes... sometimes you just don't wanna bother.
Caesar
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milkyway, Our Galaxy, Time & Space

Postby Caesar » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:48 pm

I hope you understood that I was joking there. (Even though it seems my humor doesn't really.. appeal to people.) :evil:

Furtherly;

Dudel wrote:Cause I can't edit my post...

ALSO: I just thought of a HUGE advantage to births.

You can PICK when you "get a newspawn". Basically you can prepare for it, its not randomly disruptive all "BOOM HERE IS A NEW GUY" as sometimes you just... REALLY don't wanna deal with one.

I know that's a bad way to think about newspawns but sometimes... sometimes you just don't wanna bother.

I really don't get the constant nagging from people about newspawns either not being accepted or being boring..

- Respect comes from two sides and must be earned. Nobody has the right to it because of a title, sex, age, race or birth.

Elros

Postby Elros » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:16 pm

Caesar wrote:

I hope you understood that I was joking there. (Even though it seems my humor doesn't really.. appeal to people.) :evil:

Well I thought it was funny if that makes any difference... :lol:
Every action has a consequence.
Caesar

Postby Caesar » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:19 pm

Elros wrote:Well I thought it was funny if that makes any difference... :lol:

Sure it does! :D

Drael

Postby Drael » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:24 am

Okay let me elaborate on my FTO experience.

After five is better. But it lacks in what a real experience of family role-play should be. My family, my mother is dead, my father is a sleeper and half of the family has died from not eating, or basically not playing for a few days.
From what ive been able to determine this is commonplace.

Sleeping is bad enough for relationships, or partners in business, let alone families!

My FTO character is becoming a real f**k up just because of players without much time.

Im sure it kills new player interest. However, from a personal POV, its offer new an interesting RP possibilities. The abandoned children creating society by themselves! Its like lord of the flies.

Still its not quite right.

Heres a solution: making a baby is a five year project, demanding two people, but they must actively renew the project by applying food and clothes etc. That way only active parents can properly raise children, rather than having kids pop up everywhere. Also there should be spawning as an option, mainly because kids are serious hard roleplay, and not for everyone.
Caesar

Postby Caesar » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:11 am

Drael wrote:Okay let me elaborate on my FTO experience.

After five is better. But it lacks in what a real experience of family role-play should be. My family, my mother is dead, my father is a sleeper and half of the family has died from not eating, or basically not playing for a few days.
From what ive been able to determine this is commonplace.

Sleeping is bad enough for relationships, or partners in business, let alone families!

My FTO character is becoming a real f**k up just because of players without much time.

Im sure it kills new player interest. However, from a personal POV, its offer new an interesting RP possibilities. The abandoned children creating society by themselves! Its like lord of the flies.

Still its not quite right.

Heres a solution: making a baby is a five year project, demanding two people, but they must actively renew the project by applying food and clothes etc. That way only active parents can properly raise children, rather than having kids pop up everywhere. Also there should be spawning as an option, mainly because kids are serious hard roleplay, and not for everyone.

Kids being a project..?
A big no.
Why should the kid be wearing clothes? Maybe the parents are some sort of naked wildmen. They won't dress up their children.

Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:16 pm

Playing FTO has pretty much killed any lingering support I had for implementing babies or children in Cantr.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Peanut

Postby Peanut » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:22 pm

I think different selectable hardcoded newspawn arrival messages instead of the "You notice a newspawn who wasn't there previously" is an interesting suggestion.
Miri

Postby Miri » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:39 pm

Doug R. wrote:Playing FTO has pretty much killed any lingering support I had for implementing babies or children in Cantr.

Waiting to play FTO... (copy-paste) :roll:

The main source of problems in FTO is lack of choice, and no other possibility than being born a helpless child (after waiting few months in a que). I bet the things would look much better if they had our plain spawning available as well. then only those who would like to RP parents/children would do so, and other wouldn't be forced into the way of playing they don't like.

@Caesar
I don't understand what should be wrong with your sense of humor. It's perfectly perfect for me.

you see [charname] go down a tree / lose fur and stand up straight

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”