Families, birth, pregnancies - generations

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

toon

Postby toon » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:45 pm

BlueNine wrote:Also, throwing another idea into the pot, if I understand the current spawning rules then newspawns are created with the "genes" of 2 current characters in a location...a possible solution could be to inform the newspawn of which chars were used to decide his/her skills etc "There are 34 projects etc. You have the genes of CHARX and CHARY" and also inform the 2 characters "you notice a man in his twenties you have not seen before, he has your genes" (that line might need some work) that way the "gene contributers" and newspawn could decide if they're going to RP the connection or not

Also aware that this would create newspawns of couples that aren't "couples" but im sure they could come to an agreement of "you want to take care of this one or shall I have him/her?"

But if this is random selection, wouldn't that be kind of bad? What if a guy/woman had two kids with different mothers/fathers. It's not like this reflects on their personality, so you could be the nicest and most moral person, but you are sleeping around?
johnp

Genes

Postby johnp » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:47 pm

I don’t think there should be genes, period.
joo

Re: Genes

Postby joo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:04 pm

johnp wrote:I don’t think there should be genes, period.

Why's that?
johnp

Re: Genes

Postby johnp » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:05 pm

They don’t seem to seve anything useful. After all, all characters are played by independent persons—do genes mean that one player has to model their rôle after their biological parents rather than their surroundings?
Miri

Postby Miri » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:08 pm

ehmm... aren't genes already implemented and working? And isn't geting you charrie modeled after biological parents rather than after 2 random people who just happen to be in the same location the main reason behind a wish to implement FAMILIES?
Peanut

Postby Peanut » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:35 pm

Miri wrote:ehmm... aren't genes already implemented and working? And isn't geting you charrie modeled after biological parents rather than after 2 random people who just happen to be in the same location the main reason behind a wish to implement FAMILIES?

Normal spawning should use the random genes.

People intested in spawning in a family should get specific genes?
Miri

Postby Miri » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:44 pm

Peanut wrote:Normal spawning should use the random genes.

Not random genes, but genes from random people - just like it's now (becouse it is, right?)

And a child being born into a family should have genes from it's mother and father - just logical for me.
Peanut

Postby Peanut » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:46 pm

Miri wrote:
Peanut wrote:Normal spawning should use the random genes.

Not random genes, but genes from random people - just like it's now.

And a child being born into a family should have genes from it's mother and father - just logical for me.

Sorry that's what I meant..
Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:20 pm

I wonder if this one will ever happen, lol - seems like the suggested has been accepted for as long as I've been around :p
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:46 pm

I doubt it. All the characters who would've wanted children are too old for it now.

It's a shame we couldn't have a system where parents could pick their child's player, or vice versa. Then people who want to rp with full sentences could have kids who live up to the same standards, and people who can't spell could have kids who can't spell either. And it would look like they were carved from the same tree, instead of being totally random. There would be less disappointments if people knew what to expect. For example someone might want to play a disturbed character, but if such a character was born in a loving family, it would be out of character for them to grow crooked, and that player would have to start another character to achieve their goal of playing a gloomy psycho killer. Likewise if someone wanted a normal happy childhood, they would probably quit if they ended up playing an abused, battered child, thus most likely people would be too afraid to try playing bad parents in fear of losing their child due to OOC reasons, and thus the game would fail to reflect the dark sides of society.

In other games people can play with their friends and only make new friends if they so choose, but in Cantr everybody is forced to spawn in random locations. I think it would make the game more fun if locations (or parents) could "pimp themselves out" and write a description of themselves, then if people find it interesting, they could spawn in that location or request to be a child for that couple. But Cantr is so strictly against planning things outside the game that I doubt that would ever happen. Oh well, maybe in another game.
Not-so-sad panda
Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:41 pm

I don't think everyone is too old - and anyway, who is to say age has anything to do with anything in Cantr? You can have two old people in a location spawn a 20 year old now :p
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:16 pm

I'm with Seko. The "randomness" does kinda kill something somewhere else. It would be very "luck of the draw" and... well that isn't so much fun half the time.

I'm also cool with birth, etc if Spawning simply... stayed.

Really birth, etc should be an option in a game like this... because it is restricting otherwise. Having the choice to be restricted is your own doing. There could also be a note upon "being born" or whatever that you kinda "get what you get"... to prevent from false hopes.

Although that last idea doesn't set well in my brain and makes me wish for a more "idealistic" way to "pick your spawn".

The more you play Cantr the more you slowly... stop worrying about over CRB..ing. As long as the CRB isn't disruptive or directly CHEATING to get you, the player, an advantage over others that is indeed "not fair"... well... yeah.
Drael

Postby Drael » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:02 am

I object. They have this in FTO, and its totally boring playing a incapable child. Dull as...
Caesar
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milkyway, Our Galaxy, Time & Space

Postby Caesar » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:27 am

Drael wrote:I object. They have this in FTO, and its totally boring playing a incapable child. Dull as...

It isn´t boring playing a character incapable of things! It depends on the player whether it is boring or not.
- Every person lost in war is two too many.
- Respect comes from two sides and must be earned. Nobody has the right to it because of a title, sex, age, race or birth.
- What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
- I believe in True Love, do you?
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:58 pm

Hahah Drael's probably the FTO child who goes *is hungry* and that's why he finds it boring, cuz he get's ignored.

Seriously though, the more I look at this topic the more I realise it'll never ve implemented. It was accepted without many details being looked at and agree upon, but more as a "Oh, sounds neat, we'll accept!"
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”