Families, birth, pregnancies - generations

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Litchin_flip

Postby Litchin_flip » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:06 pm

eh well I know I'm not the first to think it but I think it's kinda kool its finnaly being worked on
SIMMONS--SNOWWIS--hmmm interesting don't you think
Surly

Postby Surly » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:35 pm

It's already been worked on (Jos said so).

The ProgD just decided to implement changes like item rot first.
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Anthony Roberts

Postby Anthony Roberts » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:18 pm

Doesn't that make sense, Surly?

If you could make a Paper Airplane, or build a House, which would you do first? The easier one, of course. Sure, it pushes back the time for the House building, but changes are being made in the mean time.

Programming Department is understaffed as it is, so. I'm sure with more able bodies donating their time, then some suggestions might be well on their way to the implementation stage.
-- Anthony Roberts
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:27 pm

I'm interested in learning...
My old banner ;)
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:33 pm

Anyway I seem to have lost my edit button.

Anthony wrote:Programming Department is understaffed as it is, so. I'm sure with more able bodies donating their time, then some suggestions might be well on their way to the implementation stage.

I think their should be some prerequisites to being able to play a baby so as you don't get any Noob's playing them... That could seriously mess up a couple charries

You see a woman in her thirties give birth.
Baby says: How the hell do you play this game?
My old banner ;)
Floyd

Postby Floyd » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:46 pm

:lol:

I'm still not sure about this idea...
Schme wrote:We all knew it was going to happen sooner or later, and most likely sooner. When you have such a lifestyle, everyone, including yourself, knows that you are likely to die.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:37 pm

Snake_byte wrote:You see a woman in her thirties give birth.
Baby says: How the hell do you play this game?

Yes, that would be pretty annoying :) ... Also if 90% of the babies die in the first weeks, wouldn't be too good for roleplay.

One idea that was being considered - mind you, not 'decided' - was to have a number of 'slots'. New players spawn their chars in their twenties. Each player would have, say, 5 slots to spawn like that. Then another 7 or so slots would be for baby-spawns. Only players of a certain playing age (just a few weeks would suffice) can spawn babies. Once you have had 5 spawns in their twenties, you cannot spawn as an adult anymore. Or perhaps you could. Whatever :) ... The total number would be limited to 12, to stimulate roleplaying them better :) ... And after a char dies, for a few weeks at least that slot would be locked, and for a week or so, you cannot spawn any char at all. This to make a dying char more annoying for a player, because players think too lightly of dying chars, unless they've grown attached to them.

These are all just ideas being discussed - no decisions taken yet. For now, all this is just pending since nobody has time to implement them.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:42 pm

Jos wrote:Once you have had 5 spawns in their twenties, you cannot spawn as an adult anymore. Or perhaps you could. Whatever

So you mean no more spawning in our twenties?
My old banner ;)
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:48 pm

Snake_byte wrote:
Jos wrote:Once you have had 5 spawns in their twenties, you cannot spawn as an adult anymore. Or perhaps you could. Whatever

So you mean no more spawning in our twenties?

You really need to put an edit button in these forums...
Anyway. I think I'd be fine roleplaying a baby. I have 2 little sisters and 1 little brother, all under 7 years old. So I remember what it's like... *sighs* Children... Ya and my gf has a 3 yr old son who is only just now really coming out with words. It will be somthing different but I don't mind having my characters live for a third more than any other Cantrian... In essence, by twentie, I'd be older than any thirty yr old lol
My old banner ;)
Surly

Postby Surly » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:54 pm

Anthony Roberts wrote:Doesn't that make sense, Surly?

If you could make a Paper Airplane, or build a House, which would you do first? The easier one, of course. Sure, it pushes back the time for the House building, but changes are being made in the mean time.

Programming Department is understaffed as it is, so. I'm sure with more able bodies donating their time, then some suggestions might be well on their way to the implementation stage.
Did I say that it didn't make sense?

Geez... :roll: Is it any wonder I'm surly?
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Floyd

Postby Floyd » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:57 pm

I still think this might wind up being a really really big mistake...
Schme wrote:We all knew it was going to happen sooner or later, and most likely sooner. When you have such a lifestyle, everyone, including yourself, knows that you are likely to die.
Surly

Postby Surly » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:59 pm

Well, Floyd... I said that about skills. And deterioration. Possibly about tiredness...

And on 2 of those counts I have yet to be proved wrong. :roll:
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:08 pm

Skills, deterioration, and even tiredness......in my opinion, are not at all mistakes. Yes, incovenient while being tweaked, but this is a game in progress, and one must keep that in mind.

Babies, thus children, thus families and heirs, etc.......I'm sure will require a lot of tweaking when it finally gets implemented as well. But I, amongst many others I know, have been waiting so long for this, I'm sure all our charries are pretty much barren by now, and not likely able to conceive. (Many more now dead even)

It will change the landscape of the game considerably, but please remember, this is a society simulator, and what society ever known hasn't had children?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:17 pm

If this is gonna be implemented then I'd rather have it when some of my characters are in fertile age, Cantrians age so damn quickly and since characters don't die as fast as they are spawned, you're bound to fill all your character slots unless you save them on purpose. I wouldn't want to murder my older characters just to get to play a baby or a mother.
Not-so-sad panda
Floyd

Postby Floyd » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:18 pm

I really, Really, wouldent want to play as a baby, but i enjoy spawning new charries every so often *Sighs*

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”