Families, birth, pregnancies - generations

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Alexander

Families, birth, pregnancies - generations

Postby Alexander » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:52 am

Families are an intricate part of life. A family unit is needed in Cantr if it is to be realistic.

People like romance, they date, they get married and have children.

Raising children in itself presents some very interesting and unique challenges.

As children grow, they can be played through to their adult years, and on into old age. Generations can then be formed and traced.

Girls often times also become pregnant, even if not planned. I see there is an option in Cantr for sexual fulfillment - If women are sexually active, then it only stands to reason that there is a good chance for pregnancy, even if the woman is not married.
Strange days indeed
Alexander

Postby Alexander » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:08 pm

I was just pondering this idea, and most likely one of the biggest concerns of doing this, would be the time issue. Nobody would want to wait an actual 20 years for a child to reach adult hood.

But, time for growing children can be different, sped up.

Rather than go through years, year by year, do it sort of like the Sims do it for their offspring.

Go through stages...

Infant
Toddler
Child
Teen
Adult

Growing and maturing time can be more rapid for infant through Teen or Adult, and then once the offspring reaches Teen or Adult, time resumes as normal.

???
Strange days indeed
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:40 pm

Darling, welcome to the club. This thing has been suggested many times before but the game would change drastically if this thing really was implemented, especially when it's said there'll never be a reset (that would get rid of all our old well-developed characters).

With children there comes child-abuse, kindercide, you name it... And if you had to play a child, how many people would get bored by the limitations and quit? These are the main counter-arguments for implementing children.

Children can do many things before they reach 18 years of age, or even 20, 6-year-olds are well capable of producing things if they are guided by the elders. And if we started as helpless creatures, there wouldn't be no note thieves and suicidal newspawns, they simply wouldn't have the powers for that.

And for the child-abuse thing... I just can't imagine Cantr would turn into a giant pedophile society just because there are children, especially if these children are mostly played by adults. And if there were such dangers, wouldn't this give parents more reason to protect their kids, not just give them 40 grams of carrots a day and tell them to help with projects.
Not-so-sad panda
Floyd

Postby Floyd » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:49 pm

I'm for it so long as i dont have to RP the early years... Say if Cantr children were born at about.. 8 years old mebe..
Schme wrote:We all knew it was going to happen sooner or later, and most likely sooner. When you have such a lifestyle, everyone, including yourself, knows that you are likely to die.
Pie

Postby Pie » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:09 pm

how about 15 years old, and only new comers(not new spawns, new comers. the people who just joind) and they just need to lern the basics of cantr, and once that happens, then the parants can just releis them onto the world, get a will, and hope for the best.
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
Floyd

Postby Floyd » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:15 pm

then birth rates wouldent be as high as some would like... i mean, think of all the couples in cantr (Theres alot) If each of them wants to have a "Baby" thats going to require alot of new users...
Schme wrote:We all knew it was going to happen sooner or later, and most likely sooner. When you have such a lifestyle, everyone, including yourself, knows that you are likely to die.
Alexander

Postby Alexander » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:46 pm

If each of them wants to have a "Baby" thats going to require alot of new users...

Hmm, not necessarily. The parents can play the roll of their own children. Then, if you wanted to make it so that they could be handed to another player, they could be.

Of course this would take quite a bit of new and hard coding on the game script, but it's a real life element that is needed...
Strange days indeed
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:07 pm

To be honest, there are really no new ideas in the above ;) ... This idea has been discussed, approved, half programmed, rediscussed, yet again rediscussed, etc. etc. for years now :) ... It'll be implemented, the whole thing has been worked out already, I think you guys can stop wasting your time discussing it ;) ... (But feel free if you want to, of course :) ...)

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:10 pm

Oh, that's good then, that it is in the works... *cheers :wink:
Floyd

Postby Floyd » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:41 pm

I really dont know if i like this idea... rather have acid and a VW :(
Litchin_flip

Postby Litchin_flip » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:08 pm

It would definatly be interesting to see how it would turn out...I mean playing a child would be a bit constraining if youve been playing for a while but it would be absolutly great for newcomers because it really does drive me nuts to see some newcomer who starts blabbing on about things that don't exist in cantr...because say a Newcomer is a child then it would seem all that out of place because kids rant on about nonexistent things all the time... :wink: I'm 24 and I still ahve a crazy imagination...and the 'parental units' could just fill them in on the fact that that doesn't exist
SIMMONS--SNOWWIS--hmmm interesting don't you think
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:12 pm

You wouldn't be able to speak properly for for at least 4yrs to roleplay a child properly. Unless they're some kind of prodigy.
My old banner ;)
Litchin_flip

Postby Litchin_flip » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:15 pm

That might be a bit odd...but I'm fairly sure once it's implemented people would get used to it
SIMMONS--SNOWWIS--hmmm interesting don't you think
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:16 am

Accepted? Accepted?? Woohoo, when will it be implemented? Anyway, pleeeeeeease remember the stuff I've posted before.

1) People can't bother taking care of automated creatures for terribly long unless they get something out of them. People have a short attention span. Babies are cute but only for a short while and we don't want Cantr to be exactly like real life, waking up five times a night to change the daidees and feed the screaming little demon. There should be a period of automation in the beginning to prevent fully intelligent walking talking young ones coming out of their mothers' unmentionable places. 20 to 30 days of the baby being an object.

2) For a newbie it takes about a month to catch most of the basics. Three months to get familiar with the finer things (for example I had been playing for quite a while before realizing you can't drag notes while engaged on a project - if you're in that primitive state of development, you shouldn't be imprisoned for mining limestone..). Thus, let's say the period of playing a limited character, during which the abilities increase slowly, will last five Cantr years. Plus the one year of automation. Totaling in 6 years of helplessness, after which the child is able of surviving alone though most would not choose to leave their family that young.
Not-so-sad panda
Nick

Postby Nick » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:45 am

It's amusing how many people think they are the first to think of Cantrians having babies. The idea is almost as old as Cantr.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”