Wooden Locks - Earlier Duplicate of accepted suggestion

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

T.L.H.E.

Wooden Locks - Earlier Duplicate of accepted suggestion

Postby T.L.H.E. » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:09 pm

Normally I keep my horrible ideas to myself, but this one seems like it might not be COMPLETELY pointless...

So, before you call me crazy, no I don't mean wooden locks like the regular iron locks, I mean a door bar. You know the type, they can only be opened from the inside. It would probably take about 1000 grams of wood to be sturdy enough to work, and could be opened by anyone on the inside, not just people with keys. You would need a battering ram to open it from the outside... or no tools and a whole lot of time. I'm not sure.

So, it might not have many day to day applications... couldn't be used for jails at all, or even private houses easily... but warehouses that have one person living in them for poor towns, or maybe make it a bit easier to defend yourself from the random, saber weilding lunatic... it's almost an okay idea, right?
InsaneIrony

Postby InsaneIrony » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:52 pm

A wooden bar to hold the door shut... That sounds good. Maybe with a stick you could open it from the outside, not breaking the lock, just unlocking it. If theres enough of a gap between the door and the frame, the stick could be used to lift the bar till the door can be opened. :)
But I can't see any keys being used with it if its wood.
1099-5: Bandit says: "Collect a sum of 100 000g of sand to offer me in tribute or I will kill you."
T.L.H.E.

Postby T.L.H.E. » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:02 pm

InsaneIrony wrote:A wooden bar to hold the door shut... That sounds good. Maybe with a stick you could open it from the outside, not breaking the lock, just unlocking it. If theres enough of a gap between the door and the frame, the stick could be used to lift the bar till the door can be opened. :)
But I can't see any keys being used with it if its wood.

Yeah, keys would just be wrong... and... it seems like a stick would break, yes?
InsaneIrony

Postby InsaneIrony » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:16 pm

If its sturdy enough, it could lift the bar. To lift a wooden bar/lock, you would just need a thin, long object that can fit between the door and frame and is strong enough to lift the bar to an unlocked position. Currently, I think a stick would work for that. I don't think a broom would fit. :wink:
1099-5: Bandit says: "Collect a sum of 100 000g of sand to offer me in tribute or I will kill you."
T.L.H.E.

Postby T.L.H.E. » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:23 pm

A stick is only made out of 50 grams of wood though... if you're going to insist on something to lift up the bar from the outside, it would have to be sturdier than that...

On an unrelated note, is the broom used for ANYTHING?
Vikke

Postby Vikke » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:56 am

I think it's a nice idea with wooden locks.

But you can make wooden locks that are not to be lifted, but moved sideways to keep the door locked. Those are'nt as easy to open as the liftable ones.
InsaneIrony

Postby InsaneIrony » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:21 am

Ooo. Sideways locks. For those maybe a sharp, thin metal object could move it out of the way. Something like a knife perhaps. It would take a while, depending on the amount of space between the door and doorframe though... much much time to inch it out of the way. :P ... Or just a thin, strong blade could break it. :) Though for all of these locks, crowbars would obviously still work.
Also, for the wooden bar that can be lifted, if a wooden stick won't do, maybe a thin metal rod?
nitefyre

Postby nitefyre » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:32 am

I was thinking of the type of bar that'd be liftable, and that should work fine with the stick idea. If its the sideway sliding idea, I think just a lot of bashing would be used, perhaps a sledgehammer would work?

p.s. And yes, I approve this suggestion. [*] lol. :lol:

* - Nitefyre does not have the ability to dissaprove or approve suggestions. Please disregard this comment. Thank you for your cooperation :) --Anthony [**]

** - Nitefyre was not intending to give "official" approval for any such suggestion, only of his personal approval who was mocking the current mockery (by Budweiser's Mule and others) of President Bush's "I approve this message" telecommercials. Please disregard my prior post script as any such official cantr authorization. Thank you for your cooperation :) --Jon [***]

*** - Nitefyre does not understand a joke when he sees one. As well, thank Nitefyre for telling us what he meant, because I didn't get it until now. Anthony says: "I approve this small-print." -- Anthony
[****]

**** - Nitefyre does understand a joke when he see's one, apparently this was not one. As well, thank Anthony for bringing this up so THLE would know I am a male. Jon says: "I approve my maleness." --Jon
Last edited by nitefyre on Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
Anthony Roberts

Postby Anthony Roberts » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:50 am

My time to add comments.

There are wooden locks that can't be opened at all. They're vertical, and are held against the door by three metalic (Iron) holds. One on the top of the door, bottom of the door, and one on the top of the frame. A large groove is put into the floor for the wooden bar to fall into, and lock into place, hoplding the door by the doorframe hold and floor hold. The bar is then lifted up (And hopefully they built a high enough celing ;)) and out. It wasn't used often, because it was HELL to open and close again.
But since characters just click a button, I feel that we should pretend this lock, if it's ever put in ;)
-- Anthony Roberts
T.L.H.E.

Postby T.L.H.E. » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:55 am

o.O You would need a 15 foot tall building, at least. That sounds a bit... immoderate.

Now I'll just go... Nitefyre is a man?! Jeez... *writes (a man in his... twenties) on a post-it and sticks it to his head*
Anthony Roberts

Postby Anthony Roberts » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:42 am

T.L.H.E. wrote:o.O You would need a 15 foot tall building, at least. That sounds a bit... immoderate.

Now I'll just go... Nitefyre is a man?! Jeez... *writes (a man in his... twenties) on a post-it and sticks it to his head*

Well, it was used for barns and such mainly, factories, warehouses, etc.

And THAT'S why Jon was crying! LOL! I wondered what he was talking about. You thought he was a woman.
-- Anthony Roberts
T.L.H.E.

Postby T.L.H.E. » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:00 am

Anthony Roberts wrote:
T.L.H.E. wrote:o.O You would need a 15 foot tall building, at least. That sounds a bit... immoderate.

Well, it was used for barns and such mainly, factories, warehouses, etc.

And THAT'S why Jon was crying! LOL! I wondered what he was talking about. You thought he was a woman.

That makes more sense... but then, wouldn't you need another door to get into the building and open the strangely locked door? I assume the cows in the barn can't open the lock... I'll just go sit in my happy corner now...

First though, I'm sorry I thought NiteFyre was a twenty-something year old chick. I guess.
Anthony Roberts

Postby Anthony Roberts » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:06 am

Usually people couldn't afford their own home, or the materials for it, and so lived in an extra room within these large buildings. They locked it when they were indoors :P

Don't ask me how they did when they were out. Maybe they ties a rope to the top of the bar, looped it through the front of the building, and put a note on the other end "This rope causes sewage to drain. Do not pull" - That'd keep a thief away :P
-- Anthony Roberts
boomhaeur

Postby boomhaeur » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:00 am

I like that idea... overall there needs to be more halfway measures in the game between iron tools and objects and nothing.

an inside locking tool like this makes perfect sense and allows the less developed communities to have a little bit of security as well.
Spectrus_Wolfus

Postby Spectrus_Wolfus » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:20 am

also opens up the job of guards for building's. they stay in there and make sure the door's locked at all times.unlock it when people need access that kind thing

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”