Suggestion for an upgrade on locks

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

blackbirdphelps

Suggestion for an upgrade on locks

Postby blackbirdphelps » Fri May 28, 2004 8:15 am

Door of Chance:
it has a running list of the supplies it's protecting.

example:
Drop 1 potatoe in the Door of Chance and choose 1, 2 or 3.
If you guess the right number the door gives you 2 potatoes.

The door number would be randomly 1 to 3 giving a person 1 to 3 odds of winning.

The Door of Chance will only let you give it something it already is protecting and it won't let you give it more then it can give to you if you win.

Giving The Door of Chance potatoes and it giving you something else if you win would have to be another project to upgrade the Door of Chance.

So what is your thoughts on it?
Bran-Muffin

Postby Bran-Muffin » Fri May 28, 2004 8:50 am

Uhhhhhhh....... >.> <.< O_o o_O

no....?
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Fri May 28, 2004 10:51 am

No, this is just the wrong type of game for that :) ... It would work in a fantasy kind of game, but Cantr is not ...
blackbirdphelps

Fantasy?

Postby blackbirdphelps » Fri May 28, 2004 3:49 pm

Jos Elkink wrote:No, this is just the wrong type of game for that :) ... It would work in a fantasy kind of game, but Cantr is not ...

Fantasy? A slot machine is fantasy?
Granted I called it Door of Chance.
Which might be why your seeing it as a fantasy.

I see no fantasy about it.
There is someone or group working very hard gathering things up to put in the storage area. That is protected by the Door of Chance.

There are already players in Canr II thieving cause they rather take from others then work for it, and there are many players complaining about the thieves. The Door of Chance gives those thieves a place they can take a 1 out of 3 chance of doubling what they put in the door.

The Thieves hopefully would rather take a chance on the door then stealing from others and being hunted down by the towns people wanting their things back.

but the Door of Chance wouldn't be a cheap quick project.
It would require a screw driver and hammer and maybe a couple other tools. Stone, wood, some other things, and would take at least 2 weeks to build.

There would be just one Door of Chance in a town or villlage.

How is that fantasy?
nitefyre

Postby nitefyre » Fri May 28, 2004 3:58 pm

*blinks* No thanks-the number that comes from projects is already a tad randomnized.

But if you'd like to gamble on stuff like races, relatioships or wars, you can go ahead and do that without any projects.
Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Fri May 28, 2004 4:19 pm

I don't care for the idea really, I'm not calling it down 'cause I can see you have put alot of thought in to it. But let me just say as a player who has had many theives as chars. It won't stop the crime :twisted:

But one day I hope that we could get something like cards so we can play card games, but We'd need to beable to make a deck that can be shuffled and then delt randomly. I'm not sure if this is possilbe at the moment, but then we can have good ole saloon brawls

Lone Wolf says "Your a no good dirty cheater Brandon"
You see Lone Wolf Hurt Brandon with a feather
Lone Wolf Says "Now your going to pay"
Some are friends of the Wolf.....others are Dinner
creepyguyinblack

Postby creepyguyinblack » Fri May 28, 2004 6:11 pm

I think what you're asking for is something that can create random probabilities, such as dice or a roulette wheel. That'd need some programming but I doubt it'd be too difficult. Be nice to add gambling into the mix and see which societies allow it.
blackbirdphelps

Postby blackbirdphelps » Fri May 28, 2004 6:51 pm

It wouldn't be a good game without the thieves. And a wise Thief would see a simple business worth it's value in riches.

To create a deck of real cards and shuffle them
1 to 52
1 to 13 for 1red suite
14 to 26 for 1black suite
27 to 39 for 2red suite
40 to 52 for 2black suite
You have to give 1 to 52 names and vaules like
27=Ace of Harts vaule of 1
39 = King of Hearts vaule of 10

Depending on the size of a players hand like 5 cards draw
requires 20 rnd numbers divided up into 4 groups. The program is now getting interesting cause the program has to set up for the Royal Flushes, Flushes, straights, 4 of a kind, 3 of a kind, full house, 2 of a kind.
And if someone is calling for a wild card that also has to be set into the program as well.

Easiest program would be one game draw high card wins, since that would only be 4 rnd numbers out of 52 and the programing for Royal Flushes, and things aren't required.

Now comparing a deck or cards to the Door of chance that deals with only three random numbers. I personally would work on the one that is basic and simple

Lone Wolf wrote:I don't care for the idea really, I'm not calling it down 'cause I can see you have put alot of thought in to it. But let me just say as a player who has had many theives as chars. It won't stop the crime :twisted:

But one day I hope that we could get something like cards so we can play card games, but We'd need to beable to make a deck that can be shuffled and then delt randomly. I'm not sure if this is possilbe at the moment, but then we can have good ole saloon brawls

Lone Wolf says "Your a no good dirty cheater Brandon"
You see Lone Wolf Hurt Brandon with a feather
Lone Wolf Says "Now your going to pay"
blackbirdphelps

Postby blackbirdphelps » Fri May 28, 2004 6:54 pm

only 3 random probablities.
Similar to guessing which cup the ball is hiding under.

creepyguyinblack wrote:I think what you're asking for is something that can create random probabilities, such as dice or a roulette wheel. That'd need some programming but I doubt it'd be too difficult. Be nice to add gambling into the mix and see which societies allow it.
creepyguyinblack

Postby creepyguyinblack » Fri May 28, 2004 8:01 pm

Well blackbird, I think you're trying to design preprogrammed mechanisms for things that characters should do. If we were to add a deck of cards, there should just be a deal a # of cards to one character and the deck keep track of which ones have been put out, and leave it up to the characters to decide on games and who wins and how much.
blackbirdphelps

Postby blackbirdphelps » Fri May 28, 2004 8:14 pm

Lone wolf is the one wanting to play card games.
Not me but yes your suggestion on the cards would be less programming for the programers.

creepyguyinblack wrote:Well blackbird, I think you're trying to design preprogrammed mechanisms for things that characters should do. If we were to add a deck of cards, there should just be a deal a # of cards to one character and the deck keep track of which ones have been put out, and leave it up to the characters to decide on games and who wins and how much.
creepyguyinblack

Postby creepyguyinblack » Fri May 28, 2004 8:29 pm

Why only three? There have likely been thousands of games of chance for gambling in every culture and society in human history. We should at least have a decent range of various objects or games of these. This could probably be a whole nother category in manufacturing, "games" or such, "entertainment" and throw instruments in there too?
blackbirdphelps

Postby blackbirdphelps » Fri May 28, 2004 8:52 pm

The 3 is refering to the Door of Chance. which the Door of Chance would have a 1 out of 3 odds of winning. Not the amount of games

creepyguyinblack wrote:Why only three? There have likely been thousands of games of chance for gambling in every culture and society in human history. We should at least have a decent range of various objects or games of these. This could probably be a whole nother category in manufacturing, "games" or such, "entertainment" and throw instruments in there too?
blackbirdphelps

Postby blackbirdphelps » Fri May 28, 2004 10:06 pm

Do we really want to see a lot of games of chances in Cantr?

I don't see them increase players time. Do you?

With your suggestion of letting the players themselves declare the winners of the cards, means less work for the programs.

Dice could be done in the same way there the players themselves declare the winner.

Dice and Cards can be carried off.

creepyguyinblack wrote:Why only three? There have likely been thousands of games of chance for gambling in every culture and society in human history. We should at least have a decent range of various objects or games of these. This could probably be a whole nother category in manufacturing, "games" or such, "entertainment" and throw instruments in there too?
Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Sat May 29, 2004 10:11 am

With something like cards chars could create there own games as well. and if it we're possilbe to cheat, Such as holding an Ace in your inventory but making it possilbe for an observent char to see that it's an added card, which can be done by counting cards. Any way, just my opinion
Some are friends of the Wolf.....others are Dinner

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”