Permanent scarring in battle.

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Cogliostro

Permanent scarring in battle.

Postby Cogliostro » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:17 am

When characters fight and suffer considerable damage, we could add permanent descriptions of the scars they incur to the "char description" page, just under the user-made description of the character, perhaps in a different colour. This would always have a chance to happen right after incurring the damage, even if healing food was used to heal it away.

Scars would either last forever or for a very long time, and will not be editable to the player.

The reason I wanted to suggest this is to make fighting carry more fierce/hated consequences, imagine for example the fury of a husband whose wife's face is permanently scarred due to some pirate's wantonly attack.
Chroma Key

Re: Permanent scarring in battle.

Postby Chroma Key » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:42 am

As much as I like seeing players use scars/marks within their chars' descriptions, as they also tell a story; I do not like the idea of this being forced on players.
Playing a horribly disfigured character is not for everyone - leave it to the players to choose when battle scars occur.
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:16 am

I think problems is that many players don't understand and RP fear of their characters.. But we can't force them to it. This isn't best way to achieve these goals.

But maybe.. When you was attacked, events should describe you state better?

"You was damaged by long sword. But this was only scratch."
"You was damaged by long sword. You have an open wounds, it does not look good."
"You was damaged by long sword. You bleeding terribly, barely standing on you feet."

This can give people better looks on his character state that "30% of damage".

Sorry for weak translation ;)
"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

https://www.kinkykitty.pl
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:04 am

And make it one click harder to check how badly you have been injured? No, I'd rather know exactly how much damage was dealt to my character than how bad it looks.
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:22 am

Chroma Key wrote:And make it one click harder to check how badly you have been injured? No, I'd rather know exactly how much damage was dealt to my character than how bad it looks.

That I everywhere suggest something similar? You always have you bar with HP on character description page.
"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:40 am

Yes, that is the extra click I am talking about.
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:20 pm

Eh.. I can't discuss with this kind of arguments.. One click vs chance to better RP.

Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:44 pm

If you try to explain the reasoning behind your rejection to discuss the issue then I may help and try to explain my side in a different way. A flat refusal to discuss is not going to benefit any party. What exactly do you mean by "this kind of argument"?
I am aware that we got sidetracked, however I will state my objection again, more extensively (In light of your edited post, this part of mine has now been made redundant).
We have a perfectly working event, which is generated by an attack:
X. ....ly hurts you using a ....... You lose .... percent strength.
Why would you change that to say how the injury looks instead? There is no point. It is far better to know the amount of strength you lose immediately after the attack, as it is now, than getting a pointless message about the effect of the attack (which you may or may not decide to follow within your description - it is optional) and having to go to your char page to check the damage there. It just seems unnecessary and adds one more click to all the others we have to put up with. All those clicks do add up, especially for those of us without access to a proper PC. Besides, players will RP it if they wish to - I do not think your suggested messages will result in betterment of the quality of the RP. In fact, it will be limiting - if the event says it is a "scratch" then we are stuck with it, or wil defy it as per our own interpretation. No, thanks.

As for the original suggestion, I have nothing further to say.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:02 pm

I'm against original idea. Some of my characters were heavily hurt in battle and they have scars, but it should be my own decision as a player to have it or no. I'm against making game mechanics more complex than necessary.
And concerning the current situation, I see more scarred twanty years old nonames (they were probably hunting dragons before they spawned in the game) than elegant sweet and cute warriors.

Second idea is better and I don't see anything against it, but I see the reason of objections. To not make event logs less informative we can merge current text with suggestion. sth like:
"x attacks you and deals you 34 damage, because you partially blocked it using iron shield. You are bleeding
terribly, barely standing on you feet."

Maybe it would convince some of the newspawn who ignore received damage and act like they don't mind being wounded. Such info would be clear: you should RP being wounded.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:06 pm

I'm against this idea as well. Some things should just be left to the rp discretion of the player, and I think this is one of them. We do not need a game mechanic telling us how scarred they are.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Maybe it would be handy to have as a guideline but I don't like the game dictating to me whether I got a scratch or a bruise...or where. It's bad form for someone to RP that they stab me in the eye without giving me the opportunity to dodge it and end up with a cut on the side of my head, so why should the game tell me how my char is injured? The percentage gives people room to interpret and work with it as they please. Some people do not want their char to have scars no matter how many times they get attacked. Unrealistic? Probably, but people are allowed that luxury.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:11 pm

Chroma Key wrote:Why would you change that to say how the injury looks instead? There is no point. It is far better to know the amount of strength you lose immediately after the attack, as it is now, than getting a pointless message about the effect of the attack (which you may or may not decide to follow within your description - it is optional) and having to go to your char page to check the damage there. It just seems unnecessary and adds one more click to all the others we have to put up with. All those clicks do add up, especially for those of us without access to a proper PC. Besides, players will RP it if they wish to - I do not think your suggested messages will result in betterment of the quality of the RP. In fact, it will be limiting - if the event says it is a "scratch" then we are stuck with it, or wil defy it as per our own interpretation. No, thanks.

I want something like this, because this should be RP game. When I playing RPG games (real RPG) I never speaking to my players: "You got 5 dmg points from big bat". This just decrease imaginetion, more mechanical, less RP. In real life you don't know too how many "Hit Points" you lost.

Maybe it would be handy to have as a guideline but I don't like the game dictating to me whether I got a scratch or a bruise...or where. It's bad form for someone to RP that they stab me in the eye without giving me the opportunity to dodge it and end up with a cut on the side of my head, so why should the game tell me how my char is injured? The percentage gives people room to interpret and work with it as they please.

I never see anybody who RP his wounds. Or maybe one time. I am not sure.

Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:18 pm

I have seen plentyof people rp wounds, mine are now because of the ridiculous increase in the animal attacks. I've seen others lately do the same because of it. I do not see how this idea would increase rp at all, it would instead take AWAY from the players ability to rp how they choose it to be. In fact people get told by the game, you've got a permanent scar on your arm from a hyena bite and that just blew any amount of imaginative rp they could have come up with on where the bite took place and how badly it would scar. This should be by player choice and allow the player to rp it how THEY see it. There are more important things in the game right now to be handling rather than forcing players to have permanent scars on characters when the description box can be used for such things anyway. It's a pointless change.
Last edited by Mitch79 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:29 pm

*shrugs* Like you want. I never speak about pernament scars, only about changing "numbers" to "descriptions". I hate almost all numbers in Cantr. This almost never good for RP in my opinion.

Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:31 pm

I'm against all ideas in this thread. :D

I agree 100% with Chroma that in the heat of battle, I want solid numbers, not meaningless descriptors.

My personal rule of thumb is that any damage beyond 25% in one hit causes a scar. It's a good rule of thumb for me. Adding that into the mechanics just forces things onto people, and no one likes things being forced onto them.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”