critical hit..?

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

curious

critical hit..?

Postby curious » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:40 pm

Don't know if this is a new idea or not (Perhaps someone will know and share a link, if not)?

What about the chances (or selecting an option to create the chance) of a critical hit, in a combat situation?
For instance, if sparring... you wouldn't want to kill someone with a single, lucky blow, but it might add a little tension in those situations where good fighters are just seen wandering round hitting people, if they thought they could get killed off using a single blow.

Now... I'm no stupid, and realise, like a lot of things in game this may be open to abuse, but am sure here are ways around this?

Just thanking aloud really.
toon

Re: critical hit..?

Postby toon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:01 pm

I don't think many people at all want the ability to one hit kill someone. No matter how strong, skilled, and lucky. While that would give experts a reason to be more peaceful, it would also give those annoying newspawns a chance to instantly kill an established important player and ruin a whole butt load of work over nothing at all.
Ronja Rotschopf

Postby Ronja Rotschopf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:25 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17670
Cogliostro wrote:2. Critical hits. Make it so there is always a small chance that any blow will be deadly (2.5X-3X damage). Let the chance be ~1% at "awkward" combat skill and ~15% at the other "expert" skill extreme. The exact boost in damage should be calculated so that a "critical hit" by a character with a powerful weapon has the potential to kill the victim on the spot, doing above 100 points of damage. Note: if the character dies from such a hit, obviously any healing food they had will not be of help to them at all.

the forum search works well
and the suggestion is absolutely against the idea of a slow paced game

edited: another one, even if it is not exactly the same suggestion: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8730
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:39 pm

I'm against that idea.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Boeeeh. Rabble! Rabble Rabble!
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:20 pm

Same concept, but entirely different is knock-out blows. We could give small (currently useless) bludgeoning weapons the ability to score "knock out" hits on characters, rendering them into unconsciousness (same as near-death state).

We could also give smaller weapons of all types a greater chance to bypass a shield (as they can be concealed until the last second, giving less reaction time)
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:32 pm

Oh, good ideas, Doug. That would encourage people to use something other than the highest damage dealing weapons and encourage more variety.
Not-so-sad panda
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:54 pm

I've always wanted to suprise-attack an enemy with steel bakh-nakh's on a diplomatic peace-gathering. But the shield always stopped me :(
curious

Postby curious » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:22 pm

Okay... bad idea then... :oops:

On the slow-paced thing though... I think it is other abuses that make this an issue, rather than a change to game mechanics that would allow abuses indirectly. I am a proponent of Cantr being slow-paced, and have said so in the past.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Moving to rejected and locking. This is a duplicate suggestion. Please search the suggestion forums before posting new ideas. Thanks!

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”