Notifying Players Via Email

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

masterekat

Notifying Players Via Email

Postby masterekat » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:27 am

I've had this idea for awhile and it finally came up on another thread. Someone suggested I make a thread here, so:

Give players the option to notify the player of another character by email. Maybe it could be called a "yell" button in game on each character's page. I know that there are some people who check Cantr more often than they check their emails, so it might not help in some cases. But I know that in my case, if not a lot is really happening on Cantr, I tend to log in less and less as the days go by as I get caught up doing other things. I know that's the reason so many of my characters have died in the past. When I finally get that email saying my characters are all dead, I really do regret forgetting about them. I know a lot of people who are able to receive emails by phone, so let's say they forget about a character, but another character wants them to wake up for whatever reason. They can "yell" something at that character, and it will automatically send the message to that character's player in an email. Just knowing that there is another character whose RP depends on theirs might give some players the motivation to continue playing. Of course, this option could be easily abused, so there might need to be a limit placed on it. Maybe you could only yell at another character once per day or something like that.
Marian

Re: Notifying Players Via Email

Postby Marian » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:32 am

This would be useful I think even if you removed the ability to 'yell' a specific message. Even an automatic message like 'Character X is trying to get your attention!' would be a useful way to remind a player they haven't logged in awhile without risking being CRBish.
masterekat

Postby masterekat » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:53 am

Yes, even just that would be a big help, and probably a lot easier to code than my suggestion.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:06 am

Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
masterekat

Postby masterekat » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:11 am

Wow, lol. That's what I get for not checking into the forum for so long.
masterekat

Postby masterekat » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:24 am

Awesome! So glad this is being implemented! This will save me so much heartache in the future.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:58 am

Locking and moving this, and referring to the link Joshuamonkey posted above.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”