Resetting Everything due to hack

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

bnlphan

Resetting Everything due to hack

Postby bnlphan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:36 am

I'm just throwing this out and not even sure how I feel about it, but considering recent events and not knowing how long the site will be down. I'm wondering what about just starting everything over new if that's a programming possbility.
Benefits I can think of.
1. Gets rid of countless notes/signs and lots of garbage that has been building up.
2. Offer everyone a new ability to role play as they will be just as lost as everyone else
3. Give programmers the ability to make any major changes needed without players having to find a way accept it in game.
Probably more and better but ths just hit me.
Disadvantages.
1 Some players have put a lot of time and work into where they are.
2. I wasnt around when it started but i see the possibility of players conspiring to horde materials to prevent advancement by other players
okay dont hate me for inquring, at least will give us something ot discuss for a bit. :)
Mastering the fine art of sleepworking
Addicted

Re: Resetting Everything due to hack

Postby Addicted » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:44 am

bnlphan wrote:I'm just throwing this out and not even sure how I feel about it, but considering recent events and not knowing how long the site will be down. I'm wondering what about just starting everything over new if that's a programming possbility.

Nooooooooo! *wails desperately*
Reveal to me the mysteries
Can you tell me what it means?
Explain these motions and metaphors
Unlock these secrets in me
Describe the vision, the meaning is missing
Won't anybody listen?
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:24 am

bnlphan wrote:I'm just throwing this out and not even sure how I feel about it, but considering recent events and not knowing how long the site will be down. I'm wondering what about just starting everything over new if that's a programming possbility.

*curls a trembling bottom lip in a pitiful expression, shaking her head, and starts to cry quietly*
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:36 am

...I'm wondering what about just starting everything over new...

Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:48 am

Don't worry, we're not going to do this.
Pretty in pink.
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:50 am

*Kisses the Fisherman and offers to bait his hook anytime.*
Reveal to me the mysteries
Can you tell me what it means?
Explain these motions and metaphors
Unlock these secrets in me
Describe the vision, the meaning is missing
Won't anybody listen?
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:55 am

*looks up from her tears and hugs Piscator tightly*

THAAAAAANK YOU! :mrgreen:
viktor

Postby viktor » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:35 am

what? *loads his crossbow and carefully aims it at bnlphan* would you care to repeat that?
Snake

Postby Snake » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:45 am

it's a brilliant idea! thumbs up! make it happen please :roll: tabula rasa again!
<snake> that means Cantr on christmas xD
<EchoMan> Well. I would like to think so. ;)
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:40 am

I see why a clear slate looks appealing, but it's pretty much one of the main points of Cantr that the game world should be persistent. What we sooner or later will do though, is implement measures to allow the game world to return to it's natural state by itself.
Pretty in pink.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:02 pm

Piscator wrote:I see why a clear slate looks appealing, but it's pretty much one of the main points of Cantr that the game world should be persistent. What we sooner or later will do though, is implement measures to allow the game world to return to it's natural state by itself.

Do we? :)
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:10 pm

Jos Elkink wrote:
Piscator wrote:I see why a clear slate looks appealing, but it's pretty much one of the main points of Cantr that the game world should be persistent. What we sooner or later will do though, is implement measures to allow the game world to return to it's natural state by itself.

Do we? :)

Yes. If you want any hope of regressing back into Cantr's "5 year lifespan" - (the time when the game was challenging and growing), then the physical world needs to regress with society. If this wasn't a key feature of societal evolution, we wouldn't be digging up lost cities today irl. If no characters are around to take care of a place, it makes sense that it'll get swallowed up.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
ceselb

Postby ceselb » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:31 pm

Building decay and such would be pretty nice, yes. Unless it takes a lot of work, like the whole tool repair fiasco. Having automatic building decay when a location is unsettled sounds like a nice compromise. I'm however worried about vehicles that are lost in abandoned places. It's very interesting and mysterious to find those, not to mention incredibly helpful as you're generally not very well off if you're living so remotely.
"I'll start with who, what, where, and when, followed by whither, whether, wherefore and whence, and follow that up with a big side-order of 'why'." -- Zaphod Beeblebrox
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:54 pm

Reminds me of a town one of my chars was in not very long ago. Several people from there were sent out to look for rubber, because they wanted to build a bike (only had carts in town). People are looking far and for a long time without any success, then one day a dude shows up and says: "hey I found a van two towns away, give me a crowbar". :D

On topic: Degeneration of buildings in deserted towns is an excellent idea imho. I'm against more repair/maintanence project just to keep stuff shiny.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:57 pm

Well, we're currently facing massive "employment" issues due to the fact that most things that can sensibily be built are already built in most of the developed places. Since we can't just implement new stuff to build indefinitely, our only chance of keeping the game interesting for every new generation of players is to necessitate building the same stuff over and over again, so to say. Only if maintaining a building, a car or a crossbow requires the same infrastructure, trade connections and manpower as building one of those, we will be able to offer the same game experience to new players as to those who started years ago.

It's for this reason that I think that, at some point in time, we will have to balance the constructive force of our characters with the destructive force of nature.

edit:

On endless repairs: There are plans on making decay strictly use-based and prohibit conventional repairs. This would make it necessary to build a new shovel every one or two decades (depending on useage) and get rid of endless repairs that cost nothing but time.

On building decay: I would prefer a simple system with a constant, time-based rot rate and repairs that require an amount of resources equal to damage times initial costs. For simplicities sake, buildings that reach a structural integrity of 0 could remain as locations, but all building benefits (usage of machines that require a building, conservation of resources) would be cancelled until repaired.
Pretty in pink.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”