Resetting Everything due to hack

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Re: Resetting Everything due to hack

Postby Pilot » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:56 pm

I don't know if I'm off topic but regarding that building decay, how about giving us also the option to improve the old buildings some of our chars started with?

For example, your char builds a cottage in the woods to get started. As time passes business grows and trading between towns gets better. Now the char can think in more space with a stone structure but what holds back is the moving of all machines to the new building. The requirements should be those of a stone building, obviously. Does that makes sense?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:03 pm

Piscator - I used to agree with you, but lately my character's been standing in the town square shouting daily for workers and gets no reply. If this is universal, we may have problems.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:09 pm

It would be cool if houses could improve with things like foundation and subsurface drainage. They would be optional but reduce speed of deterioration, although the problem is they would have to be built before the actual building is built. So it would be good if a foundation could be sort of like an open structure, and buildings could be added to it like an extension, but after the building had been finished, the original foundation would show up as a building with foundation so that you'd enter the building and no longer the foundation. It would be good if old houses could be taken apart to recycle the building materials, and also good if it would be possible to build grass roofs for cottages to keep the wooden parts from deteriorating. As long as you replaced the grass often enough, you wouldn't have to travel to a forest except maybe in a hundred years.

It would also be good if tools that are used for hammering, chopping, hitting etc. could randomly shatter on impact, at least if they were rusty and metal parts would need to be melted and casted/forged again, while wooden parts would need to be built from scratch. It would make more sense than adding grams of resources during repairing.
Not-so-sad panda
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:34 pm

Doug R. wrote:Piscator - I used to agree with you, but lately my character's been standing in the town square shouting daily for workers and gets no reply. If this is universal, we may have problems.

I don't know the situation in your town, but the fact is that the game hasn't been very attractive for builders lately. People who enjoy this kind of thing probably have wandered off by now and play Farmville or something like that. If we can make building things for the sake of it enjoyable again, we will probably also retain players who would take your job.
Pretty in pink.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:53 pm

Good point.

Here's another idea along Seko's lines:

Why have absolute building types at all? Just have one building type per material, and you can make it as big or small as you want (capacities would be limited by amount of material used. Buildings could be expanded by building another room, then knocking down the wall as a separate project, merging the rooms.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
viktor

Postby viktor » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:54 pm

hey, i still have fun building things for the sake of it
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:24 pm

I support Doug's idea. It would be awesome if people could choose to build a room of any size instead of being limited to preset sizes. With the current populations, even a cottage is too big because most towns could fit their whole population in one room, and stone buildings are even bigger than that.

I think it would also be neat if unfinished buildings would appear as (half) open structures that could be entered through the hole. Then there could be quick-to-build fences to prevent access temporarily while the construction is taking place.
Not-so-sad panda
Keegan Ingrassia

Postby Keegan Ingrassia » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:52 pm

Heck, while we're talking fences to limit access and open structures, can we talk town walls, gatehouses to enter/exit the city, open buildings (such as a courtyard to a castle), windows to see/shoot out of, and towers to see/shoot further out of? :D

(Yes, I know there is a suggestion thread for every one of those. I just wanted to toss them in the mix, because I'd really, really, really love to see any and all of these. ;) )
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:47 pm

I've already said that I don't like the "reset" idea. I also don't like the "everything need repair idea".

I have a few chars trying to run towns. There are (besides the 25% active characters) approximately 50% people who work once in a while, and 50% people who never said a word, but still get fed.

Those towns also have a few things on a "master plan" that needs to get done. To be able to feed all those sleepers, a vast amount of the active characters time, and the towns resources are wasted.

Whenever there is a newspawn note thief or someone else who disrupts the "master plan" add years to the completion of that master plan... that was like ten Cantr years to begin with.

Add repairing of buildings and roads to this, and there would be no way at all to do any progress at all to the long term plans. And now I'm talking about a town that has been populated for 3000 days or so in game, let alone all those wanna be towns in less advanced areas. Some of the "old" towns have huge store rooms with a lot of everything in game, but the solution to that isn't to make it harder for every poor town to survive.

A new "stone age" town would have even less chance of progress and those players would not stick around for sure.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:34 pm

Well, generally speaking maintenace would cost you the more the more you have. A stone age town ideally wouldn't have to worry about maintenance at all, since they have barely anything. Maintenance should only cost a considerable amount of time and resources when it comes to high end and/or luxury objects.
Pretty in pink.
Snake

Postby Snake » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:46 pm

high end and luxury objects are made with high quality materials which need small or none maintenance if treated with care :P
viktor

Postby viktor » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:50 am

confusion
how would a stone age town have less maintenance when stone and bone tools rot way faster than thier iron/steel counterparts, that aside.
as for building sizes, shacks have been added in, almost a shameful thing to build really when a cottage holds so much more :P there are a lot of oversized buildings that can hold way more than there are people in the town, but that's either due to a fallen civillization or just some eccentric wanting to live large
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:30 am

Please don't confuse what is with what might be. Bone tools currently rot faster because that's the only way to make them worse than steel tools. That doesn't have to stay this way for forever.

Ideally, a steel knife would allow you to work faster than a bone one, but be costier to maintain as you would need expensive steel rather than cheap bone to repair it.
Pretty in pink.
Cdls

Postby Cdls » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:31 pm

bnlphan wrote:I'm just throwing this out and not even sure how I feel about it, but considering recent events and not knowing how long the site will be down. I'm wondering what about just starting everything over new if that's a programming possbility.

okay dont hate me for inquring, at least will give us something ot discuss for a bit. :)

1: If this "suggestion" had anything close to the support needed to be implemented, I would call down the wrath of sweet baby raptor jesus on your a**.
2: And yes, I now hate you for suggesting this. :lol:

Now, onto the more interesting topics of building creation based on size and type, I think that is a great idea, and would certainly be a step up from the available selections now.

*On a side note, can nature reclaim Doryiskom...plz! (I would even be open for its population to be swallowed up!)

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”