English-Pacific Spawn Group

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Doug R.

English-Pacific Spawn Group

Postby Doug R. » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:55 pm

Alright, this may be a totally unnecessary suggestion, but I was talking with Chase once about how tough it is to play Cantr as an Aussie since everyone's asleep. What if we split the English off into a new Pacific sub-group for spawning that encompassed Australia, the Philippines, and Indonesia? Spawning would take into account other players from that region first, and then default back to regular English if no spawn points were valid.

Obviously, the opinions that matter here are you folks from the Pacific.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Arenti

Re: English-Pacific Spawn Group

Postby Arenti » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:13 pm

So? I don't see a big problem with that. And I doubt everyone is asleep. For me during the day its also pretty sleepy. But there is always someone.
There is no rule that says I can't post as much I want. I asked my lawyer.
Miri

Postby Miri » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:09 pm

English players are people from europe, america and pacific region. If we split pacifics, then why not america?

No, I'm against it. I always liked cantr for the ability to play with people from all around the world, no matter where they're from, and a system that makes timezone issues so much less important than in any other game. I like it the way it is, even though I know very well how hard is it to play with people from distant timezone.
CrashBlizz

Postby CrashBlizz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:20 pm

I'm not against this. Although, I would like to point out:

Its more how much players can get on to play the game rather than what time zone they're in. If someone only logs in twice a day for 10 mins then it doesn't really matter if they live the other side of the world or just down the road, I can still only interact with them twice per day.
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:15 pm

I'm against it, the times suit me well enough. Anyway some of my favorite players are from other areas and I would miss that. It would be a smaller player base and that could cause some intersting issues, some of which already occur. Chars hang with chars that are awake at the same times anyway. My chars seem to befriend more then one char belonging to another player or the reverse and that would be magnified. CBRs would be even harder to avoid. How big is the Pacific group compared to the total English speaking group?
Reveal to me the mysteries
Can you tell me what it means?
Explain these motions and metaphors
Unlock these secrets in me
Describe the vision, the meaning is missing
Won't anybody listen?
Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:00 pm

Against. As someone said above, the main constraint is activity level. The only real need to be on the same schedule comes with combat, and that deserves its own fix.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:10 pm

How about people were instead allowed to mark an approximate timezone in their character descriptions to let others know when they can be expected to be found online? It shouldn't be bound to your country since some people might stay up at night and sleep late, so their internal timezone would be later than their geographical timezone.
Not-so-sad panda
Arenti

Postby Arenti » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:30 pm

SekoETC wrote:How about people were instead allowed to mark an approximate timezone in their character descriptions to let others know when they can be expected to be found online? It shouldn't be bound to your country since some people might stay up at night and sleep late, so their internal timezone would be later than their geographical timezone.

Nope... That can be used for crb.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:56 pm

Note that as with languages, you'd be able to choose which you spawn in, so it's not taking any choices away from anyone, but expanding them.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Arenti

Postby Arenti » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:27 pm

I don't agree. Giving people a choice of time zones choosing is going too far. As there are people online the whole day and also people not from there who are in English. Thats the charm of Cantr. That live goes on while you sleep. You might as well go so far to give people the option of choosing if they will be active or just only a few times a week. And give different spawn areas for that.

Its good as it is. :evil:
returner

Postby returner » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:39 am

I am Australian and never encountered any problem communicating with fellow Cantrians.
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
viktor

Postby viktor » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:05 am

there's pluses and minuses, pluses are, you are much more likely to be online at the same time as other people in your region and then less waiting times to converse and get more accomplished and organised and all residual benefits thereafter.
negatives, vulnerability, if your whole town is from one timezone, there is a high chance for no response to emergencies for protection during the general sleep time that, in a mixed time zone city, there may be almost always someone awake though maybe bored from lack of conversation but able to respond, creating a new spawn group, may be possible but shouldnt be necessary, all being english would be like opening up a new language group but for english, and as far along as the game is.. it woulda worked better done ages ago when we had almost nobody, one island could spawn from north america another islad from europe, the other from english pacific, alternativly now though many don't want to, migrating to and sticking with people who are awake more of the same times as your char is, all beit a painstaking but doable in game remedy.
nateflory

Postby nateflory » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:13 pm

I see the benefit of this, as it would make more activity perhaps, but I would have to vote "against".
My characters seem to have people active on opposite schedules than I am, plus on the same schedule, and so far it keeps conversations flowing. Other than dragging and combat, the shift in online-people doesn't really make an impact.

Also, if there is a primarily "time zone ABC" town, that means it is much more easily coordinated for pirates sailing in from "timezone XYZ" to hit in the "dark of night". I like that, but the current system at least makes it slightly more likely to have a wide-spread activity level, and thus the appearance of a more "active" bustling town. :)

Edit: ...or, what Viktor said, since I just scanned his reply initially.... :P
---------------------------------
"Nature may reach the same result in many ways." - Nikola Tesla
"Dare to be naïve". - "Unity is plural and, at minimum, is two." - Bucky Fuller

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”