Language profiency tests

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

SekoETC

Language profiency tests

Postby SekoETC » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:22 am

Any chance we could get some sort of a language proficiency test before people are allowed to start a character in a certain language? Occasionally people start characters in a language they don't know at all and have no intentions of speaking and I think this breaks the immersion for others.

It could contain multiple choice questions, in which the answering options translate to approximately the same thing in Google Translate but 3/4 would be horribly wrong and one would be correct. There could be a database of questions and answers and it would choose say 5 questions at random and the answers would also be displayed in a random order. If you unlocked a language once then you wouldn't have to take the test anymore.
Not-so-sad panda
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Re: Language profiency tests

Postby Piscator » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:30 pm

Seems like a huge effort for a little problem. Someone who's not able to speak the language at all is not worse than the usual insta-sleep newspawn.
Pretty in pink.
GPark

Postby GPark » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:49 am

[quote="Piscator"]Seems like a huge effort for a little problem. Someone who's not able to speak the language at all is not worse than the usual insta-sleep newspawn.[/quote]

I know this has been rejected but I'd like to disagree with this point. Someone who can't speak the language is disruptive and can hinder the language experience whereas an insta-sleep newspawn is merely disappointing and easily ignored.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:53 am

If the newspawn actually uses a different language it's a rule breach. I was coming from a scenario where the inproficient newspawn simply remains silent.
Pretty in pink.
Andu

Postby Andu » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:36 pm

[quote="Piscator"]Seems like a huge effort for a little problem. Someone who's not able to speak the language at all is not worse than the usual insta-sleep newspawn.[/quote]
You mean not worse than the avrage newspawn thief.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:04 pm

I rejected this because we can't afford to slow down an already slow process for getting characters into the game, and we don't have staff adequate to administrate the test. Besides, it would be easy enough to beat the test using the internet and a little effort.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Andu

Postby Andu » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:35 pm

I want to see you beat finnish dialects with online translators.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:30 pm

Signup page wrote:Note that the website will still be in English (it will be translated eventually in different languages), but that your character will read, talk, write, etc. in the language you specify. Note, also, that it is required that you can read/write somewhat fluently in this language before you start playing such a character.

What's the problem? Send PD on them. ;)
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:20 pm

I did report that one guy but he's still there, probably locked. We'll have to bury him when he dies. The guy's story was already started, just in the wrong language group, and it will end lamely because he should've never been born in the first place.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:56 pm

That guy hit the wrong button when starting his charrie. Had nothing to do with language proficiency. In this case, a "Do you really want to start a character in Finnish?" notice would have been all that was required.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:53 pm

There is a "check the details and make sure they are correct" page but I guess no one actually reads that, or it has too much text to grasp.
Not-so-sad panda
KVZ
Players Dept. Member

Postby KVZ » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:12 pm

I think it was bad idea. Sometime people start char to learn or practice language in which they are not 100% fluent.
Corruption born inside. I'm part of dark side / A.F.K. / We'll steal your dreams and control your minds
https://twitter.com/DukeKVZ / http://www.futurerp.net/pages/link.php?id=24880
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:25 pm

It doesn't require 100% fluency to tell the difference between random mumbo jumbo and correct language.
Not-so-sad panda
returner

Postby returner » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:24 pm

It's a good idea but there just isn't enough resources to support it, both in staff and in potential players.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”