Who's online?

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

randognsac

Who's online?

Postby randognsac » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:33 am

This idea might have been suggested before and/or will be shot down, but...

The forum lets you know who is online why can't cantr? I don't know if this could happen but it could be used when you look at the people page. Have a box next to each person and have it highlighted. I can see pro's and cons to this suggestion. Thoughts please.
returner

Re: Who's online?

Postby returner » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:11 am

Initially, I don't see any problem with this idea. It adds to RP, adds a touch of realism and you're able to see if so called 'sleepers' really are sleeping. I guess it would also assist 'criminals' in planning etc - ie if the town leader is awake then they'd wait.. if they're friends are awake and the town leader is asleep, it's gun-ho! (not that we should be trying to prevent criminals at all).
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
randognsac

Postby randognsac » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:20 am

My thoughts exactly. There is good and bad but I think the good outweighs the bad. I just wonder if it can be something that can be done.
Arenti

Postby Arenti » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:10 pm

This has been suggested before and rejected. I'm really against it. A thief only has to see if anyone is offline and then decide to steal and the same with killers and such. There is more I can say but I expect this to be rejected quickly so I won't bother.
There is no rule that says I can't post as much I want. I asked my lawyer.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:54 pm

I was thinking of another similar suggestion - instead of characters online, you could see players online. And only if that player has allowed your contact request, just like when using messenger software. But it shouldn't bind characters to the players, so figuring out who plays whom should be done on the forums or otherwise outside the game. And it might be kinda useful for PD to see which players have established contact since it most likely means they've talked outside the game. The online listing still wouldn't allow sending OOC messages between players so there would be a lower threshold to accepting those requests than contacting someone you've only watched on the forums and don't know if you'd have anything to talk about with them, especially if you know who they play but they might not know who you play and you might not want to reveal it.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:27 pm

It would be extremely easy to figure out who plays which characters if anything like this was implemented. There is a whole swarm of other bad consequences to this that I won't even get into. Moving to rejected.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:29 pm

The less OOC information in game the better. Agreeing with Doug R. here.
Arenti

Postby Arenti » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:45 pm

Thanks. And Yes Doug that's also the reason I didn't want to get into it. Unless it would have been needed of course.
randognsac

Postby randognsac » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Alrighty I figured I wasn't the first to think of it. I also figured it would get rejected. I thought of this awhile back and thought i'd try.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”