More solar stills per location.

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

randognsac

Re: More solar stills per location.

Postby randognsac » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:51 pm

I know you aren't supposed to "win" the game but being wealthy is fun for some of my characters. They have the means to produce what they want. That adds to my fun for sure. Learning and doing new things is a blast. So limiting things to a point is a bummer, but as with all things to much of anything is probably bad for you. I think finding the fine line and staying as close to it as possible is what needs to be done. Where the fine line is is debatable.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:01 am

I have absolutely no clue why you think my comment was in any way general. It's exactly the problem of the solar stills. You build them once and they produce water until infinity without ever having to do anything at all again. That's why they are limited to one per location (and even that's one to many in my personal opinion).

Cantrian economy is like a bath tub with a blocked drain, much water flows in, but very little ever flows out. It's pretty damn easy to get a house, boat or weapon and it gets easier every day. Throwing in yet more free stuff is like throwing oil on the fire.

I really have no idea how you got the impression that it is too hard to get what you want. It's pretty much the opposite, especially if you consider that you are supposed to play the game for years. If you could get all the stuff you ever wanted in 20 days, what would you do after you got it? It's not the having that's interesting, but the getting. That's why in regular RPGs you don't usually start with full armor and level 50.

To answer your last question specifically, I have no problem with letting people produce water more easily (if it is indeed too hard), but giving them freebies is not the way to make the game any more interesting.
Pretty in pink.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:24 am

Piscator, you're talking of "water" metaphorically, and I was talking of the literal, actual water - of which there's a great shortage in-game.
BZR

Postby BZR » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:14 pm

Cogliostro, Piscator is aware of the consequences of making water cheaper.

I've made few calculations.

If there were no limits on number of beehives in one location, one Day of Work would give you enough honey to heal 162% of wounds.

To compare, one of the most labour - effective medicines in Cantr, onions, would heal you for 19,4% of wounds for a day of work.

If wells gave you 800 grams of water instead of 400 - it would be 324% instead of 162%. Still worth trading onions? It's not worth trading anything.

If you used solar stills instead of well, honey would be for free. Just build few solar stills, beehives, and profit for ever! Without any work for your character!

Also, water is used for fuel production - if RD were to make water cheaper, fuel and medicines recipes would need to change too. And belive me, medicines and tea production takes about 99% of water used currently.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:11 pm

But hey, this isn't a beehive suggestion. Beehives are limited to one per location.
It's only about increasing solar stills to a more reasonable number of four.

So far Piscator has complained that he does not like how solar stills or beehives work (build once, profit forever). But that's completely out of my hands. We have them in the game, the suggestion was that it wouldn't hurt to have a limit of four of these expensive, pathetic 15g water/day machines per location instead of only one.
BZR

Postby BZR » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:00 pm

You really don't understand that IT IS a beehive suggestion? Water is the only resource needed in production of majority of medicines - touching it you drastically change the cantrian economy.

Piscator, you're talking of "water" metaphorically, and I was talking of the literal, actual water - of which there's a great shortage in-game.

You noticed it on your own. Maybe you should ask why there is such a shortage? Does the fact there is a shortage implies that water should be given for free?
returner

Postby returner » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:18 am

I'm on the side of BZR and Piscator here.. Hell, I've always believed things are way too easy to obtain in Cantr, so maybe I'm bias. Leave it as it is, it's free god damnit.. at least we can build solar stills.

I'll put this into context for you..

Imagine if there was a machine you could build on a ship that produced 5 grams of iron a day, for free, with no labour required.. everyone would be very happy with this! Then I come along, and I make a suggestion; "We should be able to build more than 1 of these iron-making things! It's unfair and unrealistic, especially considering how costly it was to make this machine!!" That doesn't sound right, huh?

Be grateful we have solar stills available to us. Hell, be grateful it's an auto-project that's free!
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:05 pm

Moved to rejected.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”