More solar stills per location.

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Cogliostro

More solar stills per location.

Postby Cogliostro » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:43 pm

Currently only one solar still is allowed per ship. Let's increase this to 4 or more. Each machine is quite expensive to make and produces only a tiny amount per day, so it would not cause any disbalance, while possibly allowing some relief in the current water deficit situation worldwide.
Snake_byte

Re: More solar stills per location.

Postby Snake_byte » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:28 pm

I could agree with maybe one more.
My old banner ;)
Armulus Satchula

Postby Armulus Satchula » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:04 pm

I didn't know there could only be one :/ Ya i totally agree with letting us build more.
nateflory

Postby nateflory » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:10 pm

Armulus Satchula wrote:I didn't know there could only be one :/ Ya i totally agree with letting us build more.

I would love more solar stills on my own ship, but have to admit, having used one in real life, they are a bit unqieldy and low-volume methods of collecting water. If you really REALLY need to get more water, just dock a small dinghy/longboat/etc to your ship and build a Solar Still on the smaller'lifeboat' ship. Then you'll have "two" in the same general location, at sea. Useful since they are automatic projects anyway, and do not require tending to produce the results.
---------------------------------
"Nature may reach the same result in many ways." - Nikola Tesla
"Dare to be naïve". - "Unity is plural and, at minimum, is two." - Bucky Fuller
BIKR

Postby BIKR » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:49 pm

or spend a few days ashore and use a well or Pump? I never made a solar still the cost wasnt worth it in the least.
returner

Postby returner » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:46 am

I agreed at first, but now I disagree; however my logic may be wrong so please tell me if so..

If there are four solar stills built on say, a Galleon.. and the Galleon has 4 longboats each with 4 solar stills.. and each longboat has 4 dinghys with 4 solar stills.. That's a total of 36 (?) Solar Stills..

Plus it's an automatic project, which makes it dead easy..

Plus they're relatively inexpensive to make. (30 grams of steel is certainly not much).

36 solar stills equates to 540 free water per day.

And if my logic is correct, just make a whole bunch of dinghys and attach them to your boat. Each one you make gives you an additional free 15g of water.
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
BIKR

Postby BIKR » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:05 am

But who needs that water? For fuel? Most towns are making a well or pump. And I thought the cost more so cost isnt bad. But now you got to add wood cost and building then docking them all thats a year maybe more of work for 15g water? Still not worth it to me I can get a few people to help get water at a pump faster and cheaper.

Now If your a pirate and can get those ships for free then go for it.
returner

Postby returner » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:23 am

BIKR wrote:But who needs that water? For fuel? Most towns are making a well or pump. And I thought the cost more so cost isnt bad. But now you got to add wood cost and building then docking them all thats a year maybe more of work for 15g water? Still not worth it to me I can get a few people to help get water at a pump faster and cheaper.

Now If your a pirate and can get those ships for free then go for it.

Used for a little more than fuel:

Used for making mud in a mudhole, iron or wooden bucket.
Used for making brick in a kiln.
Used for distilling alcohol in a pot still.
Used for brewing coffee and tea in a regular oven, coal oven or gas oven.
Used in beer production, along with barley for making malt in a bucket.
Used for growing things in a herb garden, earthenware windowbox, earthenware flowerpot.
Used to make rose in porcelain vase and tulips in jardiniere. Used for making biodiesel in a biodiesel mixing vat.
Used as an ingredient in some apothecary mixtures. Used to make porcelain clay and ceramic clay on the stone table or work bench. Used to make things from clay; earthenware bowl, earthenware windowbox, earthenware planter and earthenware flowerpot.
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
BIKR

Postby BIKR » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:22 am

True but most people dont do half of that. Lack of trade mostly if 20 players had 3 trading chars the game would be a lot better. Now this is happening more now since the game is more acitve but it's not like it used to be.
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:56 am

BIKR wrote:True but most people dont do half of that. Lack of trade mostly if 20 players had 3 trading chars the game would be a lot better. Now this is happening more now since the game is more acitve but it's not like it used to be.

I'd like to know where you get your sources from. Do you have access to the database to see statistics, or are you just talking out your ass? (excuse my cursing) ... I'd also like to know what the hell trade has to do with solar stills, though I doubt you can tell me.

I'd support one more solar still per ship. Dunno about a four limit, for the same reasons as what returner said actually (i know, le gasp!). It just seems unbalanced.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
BZR

Postby BZR » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 am

I don't like this idea, one is enough. It's not a water world, but Cantr. Also, ships are currently too advantaged over land vehicles, which consumes fuel, need roads, and cannot be transferred between islands.
AlchemicRaker

Postby AlchemicRaker » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:26 am

BZR wrote:I don't like this idea, one is enough. It's not a water world, but Cantr. Also, ships are currently too advantaged over land vehicles, which consumes fuel, need roads, and cannot be transferred between islands.

Sounds like a yearning for a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang-type land vehicle. :lol:

Not that I'd mind too much. It would be hilarious for a little while.

Cheers
- Natso
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:14 pm

Building a "dinghy farm" is pretty moot because the ship still has to be at sea to even produce anything. Plus I think it's a mistake to think of possibly letting some players make "water farms" as a bad thing. They would just bring more water into the game circulation. That's what we need, as noted in many threads before.

Each still takes 100 window glass (or was it 200?), which isn't exactly something that is laying around free for the grabbing. Only rich characters would be able to afford making multiple stills...

One reason I advocate for upping the limit is exactly so that the silly "dinghy farm" pattern can be avoided. Supposing there was no limit on the stills or a reasonably high one, nobody would bother making dinghies just for that purpose, and I thought that'd be good.

What's the point of forcing players into that dinghy method?
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:46 pm

I'm verry unhappy with anything that gives you free resources until the end of days for a one-time investment, regardless of how much it is. After a few years, the initial investment is hardly mentionable anymore. What this game definitely doesn't need are more free or nearly free resources.
Pretty in pink.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:56 pm

That's a strange, very generalized point to be making in this specific thread. Reminds me of how an earlier poster said "ships are overpowered over land vehicles" - as if that had something to do with the solar still build limit.

It wasn't me who craved for fueled land vehicles, because in their opinion that's creating demand for fuel and good for the economy. And it's never me on the "scarcity is the key to our gameplay" barricade either. I'm in the opposite one, shooting all I got at you misguided guys, who're making everything decay, set limits on builds and on gathering, have ridiculous uniform-linear production rates on every commodity etc. I wish that people stopped all that "we are The Simulator people" attitude and just opened their eyes to reality and looked at what they're doing to the gameplay.

And all your "scarcity conception" means in the game is that there's nothing to do. A list of hundreds of cooking recipes and about 3 that you can actually make, and two of these you never do make, because they're nerfed/inefficient anyway. It's depressing.

If you read this far and suffered my rants, good for us, we're still on the same page - so I want to ask you just what you think would be wrong, gameplay-wise, with letting people produce a bit more water more easily?

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”