Spanish Spawn Points

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:40 am

I wouldn't like the "5 people for a newspawn" part, but other than that it makes sense.

What would really be nice is if we could selectively pick and change the towns.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
theguy

Postby theguy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:01 am

I can't believe your complaining about Doug not speaking spanish, cantr has 12 languages, you can't expect anybody to speak all of them. That is why these liasion officers are really really important.
Blog: http://undercontrol93.blogspot.com/

returner wrote: so I could probably make a Cantr III in my spare time :P

Well where is it?
Sabsi

Postby Sabsi » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:41 pm

I won't say anything about the question of fixed spawn points for the Spanish language group as I don't have a Spanish character right now and so am not affected by this and leave the decision to those that are. But after reading this topic I really have to pose some questions regarding this quote: "I don't have anything against the spawning of German characters, but, why can they be born in others zones (like all those concentrated in ours) when we can't spawn in others?"

What exactly do you consider the Spanish zone? You do know that the German language group started on the same island as the Spanish language group, right? And do you also know that the Spanish language group overtook one of the two originally German spawn points (Kishnakotis) and we never complained about that? There is no "your" zone, it is just a shared zone as it always has been.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:59 pm

Dudel wrote:The Polish and Dutch are a "problem" as well.

People shouldn't be "colonizing" without ACTUALLY TRYING TO DO SO (Dough said that, I think, and I agree). Having random people visit and then having a random newspawn in a town that isn't their language groupd is shitty spawning... and should be fixed.

So far we agree.

Dudel wrote:In my full HONEST opinion, there should be static ISLANDS for each language group and THEN the dynamic special ed spawn system. Once a town/area/whatever is OFFICIALLY COLONIZED (Has ESTABLISHED citizens, laws, etc etc etc) there can be a note OOC and that area can be added to the "static island list".

That's where the problems begin. Do we really want to manually assign spawn points? Standards would have to be devolped as to when a colony is "officially colonized", there would have to be people to handle requests and check if the standard is met and even if they do their job as they're supposed to, there will almost certainly be someone to accuse them of being biased. An impartial game mechanism is by far more preferable than any arbitrary manual system.
Pretty in pink.
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:26 pm

Sabsi, Thedas question is about why dutch and germans characters are not limited in fixed sites like us. Joshuamonkey translation is not accurate.

We are veteran players, we are aware of what happened in Kishnakotis and some of us witness the death of the last original german elders (our fathers no matter the language). Some of us do care about the cultures we share our zone with, and are worried that over population might -as in real life has, causes a massacre to make space. The zone is too small for all of us already. Spanish characters should have free spawn system and not fixed to reduce the population stress.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:43 pm

alf wrote:Sabsi, Thedas question is about why dutch and germans characters are not limited in fixed sites like us.

I can answer this concretely. The Dutch and Germans are in a process of organizing a massive emigration to a new island. The GAB decided that assigning fixed spawnpoints to the Dutch would wait until this emigration was completed.

The German group (as well as the french, esperanto, and finnish groups) are far too small to limit, and they are not experiencing the same problem as the Spanish and Dutch group. Chinese and Russian languages were eliminated completely. English and Polish groups are far too big to limit.

I have said that we can discuss adding spawnpoints for the Spanish language group, but all demands have thus far been total revocation of the policy, combined with a plethora of personal insults (the most offensive - being called a Nazi). Grow up people.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:54 pm

Likewise Doug. Getting carried away and go try to eliminate the Turkish players (I think they're the only ones not to have staff representation, but I might be mistaken) because I'm trying to mediate between you and Spanish Players here is not very mature either. I don't understand this new Public relations style, honestly.

Anyways, since yesterday morning my net connection is limited. In case this takes time to get solved, merry christmas. ;)
Sabsi

Postby Sabsi » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:55 pm

If the translation is not accurate and I didn't understand it right, then I'm sorry, but sometimes I really get the feeling that many players of the Spanish language group do think that the Spanish group had been the only one on the Hislands and that the Germans, Dutch and French "invaded" there from somewhere else. Not all of the players can be veterans anyway and maybe it was important to just explain at one point that all of the language groups on the Hislands started there and so all of them equally have the right to be there. And of course I'm not arguing for fixed spawn points for the Spanish language group, as I said I will leave this decision to the staff and the affected players. I share your worry about a massacre and really hope it won't take place, and even more that it won't take place due to OOC problems or arguments.

Edit: Oh, and this was once more a demonstration of how important accurate translations are. Google translation or any other auto-translators just can't translate well enough to allow an efficient communication. (I've witnessed this often enough within Cantr when some Spanish characters use an auto translator and I'm not able to understand anything of the German sentences it produced and can make more sense of the Spanish versions of the sentences with my limited knowledge of Spanish.) So it wouldn't be good at all if Doug used auto translators to communicate with the Spanish language group as it would only lead to more misunderstandings. A liason officer would be vital for the discussion about the spawn points so that also Spanish players who can't speak English can participate in it.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:20 pm

alf wrote:...I'm trying to mediate between you and Spanish Players here

Really? I thought you were dictating policy. My mistake.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Joshuamonkey

Postby Joshuamonkey » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:18 am

Theda said that her main goal was really to have the opinions of herself and others heard, and that the Nazi thing was just something that this reminded her of. She also said that she doesn't doubt that Doug and Jos are good people, but that we have different point of views and that we really just want someone to hear us. She was also very happy that she was, in part, heard. (since I responded)

Joshuamonkey translation is not accurate.

-.- Feel free to do it yourself.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
Joshuamonkey

Postby Joshuamonkey » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:12 pm

part of Delarge's post wrote:Although it is more difficult to survive in inhospitable lands it also represents a challenge and is more fun, or at least was when I started and could create new characters. In general in the cities that I'm in people try to help the newborns, "with that they put a little of their part their character will have in the future."(con que ponga un poco de su parte su personaje tendra futuro.) Being born in the 7 most important cities will only make these cities bigger and create more differences with the less developed cities.

Anyway, now we're just waiting for a GAB decision.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:34 am

IC - one of the triplets wrote:Uno de los trillizos habla: "somos hijos de una maldición, trillizos!! eso no es justo, esta en contra de los dioses, ayudarnos a acabar con nuesta desgracia."
We're sons of a curse, triplets!! this is unfair, this is against the gods, help us end our disgrace.

Sdhor wrote:6 personajes mios juntos, los estoy intentando separar :?
6 characters in the same site, I'm trying to split them.
Arlequin

Postby Arlequin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:43 pm

Hi.

I wouldn't mind higher priority spawn points since most of the Spanish region has good enough logistics to redistribute them.

I don't understand though why only 7 manually fixed spawn points were selected. I don't know which are they (besides one or two), and I'm afraid the colonies which have poorer connections with the main island, and hence are in greater need of local spawns, may have been neglected.

For example, I play the lead character in one of them and as soon as we get new characters engaged in our roleplay, fed and equipped, they are sent away alone or with other veterans to do quests. This keeps the population of the main location artificially low. But it is also what gives the community an high rate of engaged characters.

It is a case in which an higher priority spawn point would be a benefit, but also a case in which it may look, by numbers alone, as if it didn't deserve one.
♫ bling! ♫
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:56 pm

Your spawn locations are Mianir, Kartsjantankin, Puerto Capitanes, Kishnakotis, Bajlokin, Almirante Gago and San Buenaventura. The selected locations were the ones that had the highest number of Spanish characters who had been active recently. The rest of the top ten were Innerkip, Morn Forest West and Luminaria. The rest of the list had less than 6 recently active people. I don't remember within how many days a character had have been checked to qualify as "active" but it was more than one. As far as I can remember, it was active people sharing the same coordinates so it also included people in vehicles and buildings. Then I had to check which towns existed in those coordinate pairs, separately for each coordinate pair, and check the naming table to find out what those towns were called since they might not use the old names that existed before dynamic naming of locations was implemented. That's a lot of queries, which might explain why I didn't find it necessary to get the names of locations outside the top ten.
Not-so-sad panda
Arlequin

Postby Arlequin » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:25 am

Those spawn points are good for the main island. They couldn't be more evenly distributed.

SekoETC wrote:The rest of the list had less than 6 recently active people.

Well, d'oh.

At 'Montesbrumos' I always try to keep just 5 active people as guardians, smiths and instructors, and send away the rest of the clan. People at 'Gailonord' and 'Paso de Cloud' are either our members or our peasants. Two more are sailing, and two or three are exploring the inland.

Plus we have a couple of outposts abandoned, since our birth rates always were very low and we had to fight bloody elephants, first, and later all sorts of nasty felines (aw, I liked the elephants :,/).
♫ bling! ♫

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”