One and Two Handed weapons

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Mack

One and Two Handed weapons

Postby Mack » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:55 pm

I was thinking that it would be cool to be able to have one and two handed weapons. If done right, it would mean that a char with 2 one handed weapons, they could have a double strike, inflicting more damage. This would also for more reality as to why a steel battle ax is as powerful as it is. This would not allow a char to have 2 chance to hit someone. You still select to hit, and it reads "you hit ........ with a double strike. First strike causing 22% damage, the second strike causing an additional 8% damage. Or something like that.

Also, it could make shields function differently. Since a large shield like a kite shield would make it hard to use a battle ax. Using the wrong shield could lower the attack rating of a weapon. Or if you wish to be more offensive than defensive, you could use a battle ax with a smaller shield. The protection rating would be lower, but you could have the full attack rating of the weapon.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:21 pm

Well, the general problem with this kind of suggestion is that Cantrians don't equip their equipment. Currently there would be no way of determining what shield or weapon a character is currently holding in his or her hands.
Pretty in pink.
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:16 am

If we're assuming Cantrians only have two hands, if they have any shield at all, that limits the use of one hand only for the weapon. So if this should ever be implemented it should be compensated by not allowing any shield to be carried by anyone with a two-handed thingy... more complication... is it worth the effort?
Ice-Man

Postby Ice-Man » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:24 am

I remember it was allready proposed, and nobody liked it. And why is that that I couldn't have shield while I'm carrying a doule hand weapon? That would be, ekhm, non-realistic.
ImageImage
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:38 pm

Another thing that makes this suggestion difficult to implement is that there would have to be some kind of mechanism to prevent people from switching their equipment too often. Otherwise you could attack with a two-handed weapon and switch back to a shield immediately afterwards. Equipment switch would have to be blocked for one day after an attack.

It would probably be easier to reduce a characters defense capacity by a certain percentage after attacking with heavy (two-handed) weapons, but even that might not be an easy task.
Pretty in pink.
Mack

Postby Mack » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Piscator wrote:Well, the general problem with this kind of suggestion is that Cantrians don't equip their equipment. Currently there would be no way of determining what shield or weapon a character is currently holding in his or her hands.

Actually. The way the system works now, that your most powerful weapon is the one that is offered for use, would still work. All we would need is for the system to link a weapon and shield based on type. You don't have to do it. But if you have a two one handed sword, it would just ask you if you are making a double strike. All we would need to do is link a weapon with a sword. Not equip it.

tiddy ogg wrote:If we're assuming Cantrians only have two hands, if they have any shield at all, that limits the use
of one hand only for the weapon. So if this should ever be implemented it should be compensated
by not allowing any shield to be carried by anyone with a two-handed thingy... more
complication... is it worth the effort?

You can hold a two handed sword with a shield. It just can't be a very large shield. The larger the shield the more difficult it is to use the two handed sword. This is why the Vikings would use small wooden shields that would strap to their forearm and have their two handed sword or battle ax to fight with. The Spartans used large round bronze shields because they fought with spears, and gladius' which is a one handed sword. So this is still very much possible....but if a person only has in their inventory 1 claymore and a kite shield. I think the attack value of the claymore should be reduced to show the effect of the two weapons together. If we could like them, that would make it easier to determine what weapon and shield you wish to use together. Unless the system just make the choice based on best combination.
atons

Re: One and Two Handed weapons

Postby atons » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:15 am

I'm a two handed, I like to bring two swords during fight.
Doug R.

Re: One and Two Handed weapons

Postby Doug R. » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:59 pm

I'm going to move this to rejected, for the reasons Piscator cited. Not only does this not fit in with the current mechanics, it doesn't fit with any considered future mechanics.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”