Cosmetic changes: Casks [REJECTED]

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Cogliostro

Cosmetic changes: Casks [REJECTED]

Postby Cogliostro » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:53 am

Add some kind of indication to casks that they are not buildable on vehicles. Currently it confusingly says "buildings and vehicles" under it when you look in the build menu, but if you're like me and thought you could brew some famous wines aged in the ship's hold, you'll be disappointed. You can't actually build them on ships/vehicles at all.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:09 am

Why not just make them buildable on vehicles anyway?
Read about my characters by following this link.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:26 am

Because for some reason they can only be built in stone buildings, not cottages or shacks or wood extensions... It's just artificially making things harder to increase the value of the product, as if taking a year to brew things didn't already take the prices through the roof.
Not-so-sad panda
Elros

Postby Elros » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:33 am

I will look into it later today.
Every action has a consequence.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:27 pm

Strange that... some of the most prized and expensive wines in the real world were those that were aged in giant casks aboard royal ships...
Elros

Postby Elros » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:51 pm

Moved to RD for disscussion.

I think we should allow these to be built on ships as well. Possibly sloops and bigger?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:05 pm

I'd suggest allowing them in cabins and holds and cottages and wood extensions but not on the deck or in primitive buildings.
Not-so-sad panda
BZR

Postby BZR » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:37 pm

Don't forget, that mead is very powerful. Sailors might take water, honey and buckets with them and profit!
Last edited by BZR on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:50 pm

They could also take the mead with them. Since the necessary resources can't be grown on ships it really doesn't matter wheter you can ferment beverages on a boat.

I agree with cabins and holds. But why not in primitive buildings?
Pretty in pink.
Elros

Postby Elros » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:41 am

I will not be changing the building requirement, just allowing them to be built in cabins and holds on ships. That seems reasonable to me. Are you guys ok with that?
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:11 am

Well, why shouldn't you be able to build a cask in a wooden building? Am I missing something important?
Pretty in pink.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:21 am

Maybe because wine and such were made in cellars, and cellars are not made of wood...
Not-so-sad panda
Elros

Postby Elros » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:17 pm

Piscator wrote:Well, why shouldn't you be able to build a cask in a wooden building? Am I missing something important?

Well I believe Seko is right. That was one of the reasons.

I think the main reason behind it though was because they wanted wine to only be made in buildings that were a little more costly than primitive buildings like mud huts or shacks.

I was keeping that idea fluent when considering what ships to allow them on. Allowing them to be built in cabins and holds only would mean it would have to be a raker or galleon.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Well, wine is made in cellars because of the temperatures, not because the walls are made of stone. But anyway, if we allow casks to be build in cabins (which are made of wood), we would have to allow it in wooden buildings on land, too. Otherwise it would be rather unintuitive.

By the way, at least according to the wiki, cabins and holds can be build on a couple of other ships too. http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Cabins_and_holds
Pretty in pink.
Elros

Postby Elros » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:09 pm

Piscator wrote:Well, wine is made in cellars because of the temperatures, not because the walls are made of stone. But anyway, if we allow casks to be build in cabins (which are made of wood), we would have to allow it in wooden buildings on land, too. Otherwise it would be rather unintuitive.

Actually, it makes a lot of sense this way. Stone buildings stay way cooler inside than wood ones and that is what they were aiming for in the requirements I believe.

Also, holds are down in the ship and thus are usually pretty cool as well. Maybe we should just make it available in holds and not cabins to make it "intuitive" since it cant be built in wooden buildings either.

[quote="Piscator"]By the way, at least according to the wiki, cabins and holds can be build on a couple of other ships too. http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Cabins_and_holds

Oh ok, my bad. I dont have access to the Wiki from work so I was just going off of my memory. Well if we stick with just holds what ships will that limit it to?

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”