Reparing Items

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Armulus Satchula

Reparing Items

Postby Armulus Satchula » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:55 pm

Just a small suggestion, repairing items should not take longer then actually making a new item. For example. A Crumbling bone needle on one of my characters is going to take 21 hours to repair it. That is nearly 3 days to repair something that takes 1 day to make.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:58 pm

That's not a bug, it's a feature. :wink:

As far a I know that's intentionally. It's supposed to encourage consumption of certain materials.
Pretty in pink.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:26 pm

Yeah. The only people to repair bone tools are those who don't have anything better to do, those in locations with no animals and no piles of bones and those who are too stupid to figure out that it's more efficient to let it crumble and make a new one. They should just make bone stuff non-repairable since it gets on my nerves to see newspawns wasting their time on repairing them when they could be doing something useful instead. If someone has bone tools and can't get new ones then the animal system must be seriously broken.
Not-so-sad panda
joo

Postby joo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:32 pm

Long, meaningless projects can be useful for more psychological and social reasons than simply fulfilling phsical needs. ;)
Gran

Postby Gran » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:08 am

Piscator wrote:As far a I know that's intentionally. It's supposed to encourage consumption of certain materials.

Why? Isn't for this that you have clothing? And furniture? :?

Really, I think it is not necessary to have a insanely long repair time. You have so many other things to waste your time in the game, which can return way much more roleplay and social comotion than polishing your old sabre (Recall that isn't only bone which deteriorates with time).
"Navegar é preciso; viver não é preciso"
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:33 am

You are missing the point. It's not about repairing bone knives, it's about throwing them away. Just like anything, clothes and furniture are manufactured exactly one time and last forever. The idea behind the long repair times of bone knives is that it is easier to throw it away and build a new one, than to repair it. This way an item either consumes time or resources in order to own it.

Now that I think about it, I'd like to see that system used for every item. Of course in combination with a drastically reduced rot rate.
Pretty in pink.
Armulus Satchula

Postby Armulus Satchula » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:06 am

So increase building requirements and decrease the amount of bones you get from killing something.
Xervicx

Postby Xervicx » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:51 am

In reality, you would have to use resources to repair objects, so the length of time it takes balances this out.

Not to mention the fact that repairing objects is often much more difficult and time consuming in real life than it is to simply make something new.

For example: You have a clock. Something in the clock breaks. Making a clock can realistically take less time to make than repairing the clock, depepdning on the repairs needed.

Weapons obviously would take more time, especially since it would be done by hand. Its not even explained how its done. So accept the time it takes, there are reasons for that.

1. Balances out the fact that no resources are needed to repair things.
2. In real life, repairing can take longer.
3. You aren't using tools to repair these objects, only your hands.
Forgotten we are, but Forget, we will not
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:10 pm

SekoETC wrote:They should just make bone stuff non-repairable

Other then this 100% agreed upon point I've comments.

1) Cantr should stop being evaluated or compared to "RL"
2) The amount of time to repair things should stay as is, minus making some basic tools and such non-repairable.
3) Sometimes repairs one items are done just to keep the character busy.
4) I don't see why it should consume MORE resources for already built items, that would seem like a broken mechanic to me.
5) If recycling was implemented then repairing a bone object would be extra stupid, especially if it takes less time to destroy then to create. (Which should generally be the case)
6) There COULD be tools used for generally increasing speed, such as the hammer and screwdriver.

Generally though, I don't care. Usually my characters repair old bone stuff out of boredom and because I (the player) would rather not make something that's already here, regardless of efficiency.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”