CCTV/ Video & audio feeds.

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Drael

CCTV/ Video & audio feeds.

Postby Drael » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:42 am

And yes, i searched this time, lol.

For a more simple addition to the game, video screens and cameras could be linked in one area, across seperate rooms, or outside and inside.

This would simply send the events list of that location, to another with a camera name attacted to it "outside camera:" for example, or "prison room one:".

This would enable security while working indoors, keeping an eye on prisoners in jail and prevent theivery. I guess the building mechanics could be similar to radio mechanics-ish (ie some wires and a case basically) but with "lense" glass. And perhaps just window glass for the monitors? (Dont wanna make it overly complex).

Similarly, for a more complex adaption, one could enable broadcasts, similar to a radio, on a given frequency. (Public frequencies, like 100 on raido, could be like public TV stations, advertisements for other frequencies).

Using this, people could enact a show for example, or report a breaking news story from location with interveiwing (From a fair, or change in ruleship, to mass murder or kipnap). A covert camera could even be used for spying on people.

It would also be good if one could name people in these passed along events lists...(Could be used for identifying criminals, or warlords, or simply notable people)

You could add recording, but its probably not needed, live feed should do. Sure some of these things could be done with a portable radio transmitter, but this could add much much more to the game, such as security guards, reporters, talk shows etc. It would create new roles, and interconnect areas more, like media in real life.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:59 pm

Love the idea.
Read about my characters by following this link.
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:18 pm

Yeah, but it will of course be expensive. The old suggestion *grin* of windows is a lot simpler for looking out, at least. You'd see the same amount as if in a vehicle.
BZR

Postby BZR » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Maybe windows are older, but CCTV is more Cantr-styled 8)

I like it.
Litchin_flip

Postby Litchin_flip » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:21 pm

I like this one. :wink:
SIMMONS--SNOWWIS--hmmm interesting don't you think
Xervicx

Postby Xervicx » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:33 am

The problem with this suggestion is how much Cantr woudl need to advance technologically. To get TV screens and cameras, many things would be needed.

Scientific knowledge of how electricity, magnetics, and many other TV-related sciences.

Access to different types of plastics, more metals needed, electricty needs to be produced.

Houses would have to be able to have wiring run through them, and electrical outlets.
Forgotten we are, but Forget, we will not
Drael

Postby Drael » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:54 am

The problem with this suggestion is how much Cantr woudl need to advance technologically. To get TV screens and cameras, many things would be needed.

Scientific knowledge of how electricity, magnetics, and many other TV-related sciences.

Access to different types of plastics, more metals needed, electricty needs to be produced.

Houses would have to be able to have wiring run through them, and electrical outlets.

Not really. Currently car engines and radios operate with miminal mechanics, and no need for a power outlet or similar. Id be absolutely fine with the same treatment for video.

Still there remains the issue of exactly what these are made of. They could use steel for the frames, or even wood. The camera would have a special lense glass. The monitors. Well it would be cool if you have a TV tube somehow, but without introducing new materials ideally. Again the case could be either steel or wood.
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:57 am

It'd be sweet if you could carry the monitor around with you. Like how everyone wanted radios to be carry-able before. Then you'd be the only one to see, and not bother everyone else with having to watch useless crap :D
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
Xervicx

Postby Xervicx » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:57 pm

Drael wrote:Not really. Currently car engines and radios operate with miminal mechanics, and no need for a power outlet or similar. Id be absolutely fine with the same treatment for video.

Still there remains the issue of exactly what these are made of. They could use steel for the frames, or even wood. The camera would have a special lense glass. The monitors. Well it would be cool if you have a TV tube somehow, but without introducing new materials ideally. Again the case could be either steel or wood.

You do have a point... I always wondered how radios were able to function without electricity. So I guess have other technology woudnt be so far-fetched. But really, that seems a bit to advanced for where Cantr is right now
Forgotten we are, but Forget, we will not
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:56 pm

It'd be awesome if it worked like radio frequencies, so you could end up watching some locked up people in the town up ahead. =P I think it should say "You can see X people, <PERSON> <PERSON> etc etc" and you would be able to see what they look like, change their name etc.

Then combine this with a radio receiver and you have a rather creepy room. Lock people up. Speak through the radio receiver with them (We need portable receivers that are stuck on one frequency Q_Q) and then tell them to do awesome stuff. :3
Elros

Postby Elros » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Wow, great idea! I mainly like the idea of the security cameras so you could keep an eye on prisoners and also keep an eye on what is going on outside. I could see some great forts being set up with security cameras so they could see what the pirates were doing outside while they are hiding inside. Also, I could see some huge prisons being set up with security cameras where smaller towns could bring their criminals to be held in a better secured facility. I am getting carried away here, but still, I think the security camera idea is great.

I do not see the need for the tv's though. I mean since there is no visual elements to Cantr, having a TV with news and comercials would be the same as a radio. Why not just use the radios?
Every action has a consequence.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:25 pm

Elros wrote:Why not just use the radios?

Or the security cameras :D
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:10 pm

Now that I think about it, this would be good in something like a smaller town, where the leader has to go work inside. Keep an eye on the minions- I mean citizens.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:41 pm

You could make the video cameras similar to telescopes but add some circuit boards and/or wire and just use the radio to "see" what they see. It would be liking having a constantly on radio transmitter.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:23 pm

If they implement cameras, I want spray paint so I can block the cameras...
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”