Magic Weapons/Protection

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

ilumino

Magic Weapons/Protection

Postby ilumino » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:26 pm

Okay, before everyone rips me up for suggesting we put magic in Cantr, please be aware that I'm new and am trying to look at it from an external perspective. If this is not the direction the devs want to, or will ever take Cantr in, then submit this post to the Rejected section - I won't be offended. I didn't put this post in the weapons thread because I feel it is more general than to just be considered a weapon suggestion.

First of all, I believe and many Cantrarians believe that magic is already in Cantr (as pointed out in threadthis). From an "In Character" perspective, we see notes that 'magically' appear in our hands to write on (with magical pens), we also see people 'magically' spawning in front of our eyes, or at least not like our real world is. Are not cars, and flying machines appearing in a remote village where only stone age technology exists, considered 'magic' to the local Cantrarians?

Now I'm not asking that we put spells or wizards and things like that into Cantr. What I would like to see are magical weapons, protection and items. There would be a finite number of them, dispersed around the world into remote locations. They would never rot or need to be repaired, and they could never be manufactured. They would simply act as ordinary items except that they would have a higher attack and block rating. Also, when used in battle, they would emit some sort of effect that others could see in the event screen.

What I think would happen, by introducing such items, is that it would shake up politics, religion and the economy making things much more interesting. The items would never be destroyed, so they could only be passed from one hand to another. So no single person would ever become too powerful for too long. I also think that exploration and migration would become more common as people try to seek out these lost treasures through maps,legend and word of mouth.

I don't believe such an implementation would be difficult at all. The items would not even be given special names. Their appearance, and effects would be different, but the locals could give them names of their own. Two continents may have different names for the same weapon.

I don't believe that this would disrupt the feel of Cantr at all. If a motorcycle comes riding into a stone-age village, how is that any more shocking or disruptive than a character wielding a flaming broadsword?
Like Cantr, only better:
http://www.faerytaleonline.com
Wolf

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:53 pm

Magic stuff has been suggested before.
Trust me, it wouldn't work... it'd break with the Cantr charm of imagining it, because instead of imagining (and from that, roleplaying it in an imaginitive way) it'd become a set thing, which wqould have the strange effect of many people no longer bothering to roleplay it.
Someone else will suggest you should use the search-function of tyhe forum, so I won't... unless this could be considered a suggestion... reverse psychology, ain't it grand?

** Edit: I saved you some time and did a search myself.
In the rejected suggestions forums you'll find magic, deities/gods, siege weapons have also already been sent to the red-headed stepchild corner...
And I just noticed that something which was part of an idea I mentioned as a possible solution for a problem with someone elses' suggestion involving skills has also been sent there... teaching.... ah well... I'll spank myself before I go to bed... which I only rarely do. Going to bed, that is.

** / end of the edit.

Returning to the topic at hand... while Cantr's setting mixes modern tech with ancient stuff, it's not meant to be judged by human standards - it's a different world, with different standards and stuff... okay, I can't really put itr to words, but in short it boils down to Cantr being a world where technology evolves differently... but it's still technology.
Someone living in the deepest of Africa for example, where the chief of the tribe decides who's next in line to receive dung to build a hut with, could still see someone on a dirtbike pass through, assuming someone on a dirtbike has some reason - intentional or otherwise - to be travelling through there.
So in that view, Cantre still has some credibility...

Personally speaking, the day I see something along the lines of "you see a man in his twenties cast bolt of death against a man in his thirties", I'll set all my chars to produce the best weapons possible, raise an army of rough, tough, ruthless magic-hating characters around each one of them, and go on a rampage... :twisted:
ilumino

Postby ilumino » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:36 pm

Wolf wrote:Magic stuff has been suggested before.
Trust me, it wouldn't work... it'd break with the Cantr charm of imagining it, because instead of imagining (and from that, roleplaying it in an imaginitive way) it'd become a set thing, which wqould have the strange effect of many people no longer bothering to roleplay it.
Someone else will suggest you should use the search-function of tyhe forum, so I won't... unless this could be considered a suggestion... reverse psychology, ain't it grand?

** Edit: I saved you some time and did a search myself.
In the rejected suggestions forums you'll find magic, deities/gods, siege weapons have also already been sent to the red-headed stepchild corner...
And I just noticed that something which was part of an idea I mentioned as a possible solution for a problem with someone elses' suggestion involving skills has also been sent there... teaching.... ah well... I'll spank myself before I go to bed... which I only rarely do. Going to bed, that is.

** / end of the edit.

Returning to the topic at hand... while Cantr's setting mixes modern tech with ancient stuff, it's not meant to be judged by human standards - it's a different world, with different standards and stuff... okay, I can't really put itr to words, but in short it boils down to Cantr being a world where technology evolves differently... but it's still technology.
Someone living in the deepest of Africa for example, where the chief of the tribe decides who's next in line to receive dung to build a hut with, could still see someone on a dirtbike pass through, assuming someone on a dirtbike has some reason - intentional or otherwise - to be travelling through there.
So in that view, Cantre still has some credibility...

Personally speaking, the day I see something along the lines of "you see a man in his twenties cast bolt of death against a man in his thirties", I'll set all my chars to produce the best weapons possible, raise an army of rough, tough, ruthless magic-hating characters around each one of them, and go on a rampage... :twisted:

Everything you just said is against the Capital Rule. *My Character* sees no difference in a motorcycle and a magic wand. *Both* are magical. I can't explain either one.

You say, "while Cantr's setting mixes modern tech with ancient stuff, it's not meant to be judged by human standards". Yeah so why are you judging it by human standards of technology?

If the devs have a certain atmosphere for the game that they want to adhere to, that's fine, but don't tell me that my character sees technology any differently from magic.
Like Cantr, only better:

http://www.faerytaleonline.com
faolan

Postby faolan » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:57 pm

Dude, no offense, but I'm with Wolf on this, but I just don't like the idea.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:32 pm

Magic is just another word for "we didn't bother to research how it works". Everything in Cantr was created by the players, every gram of resource, every item, every building is the product of characters ingame labor. Planting weapons into random locations would just be plain wrong. I'd be for planting projects for resources that are generally not available in a location, or seeding animals that cannot breed, but everything implemented must require some sort of work done by characters. Freebies only encourage laziness.

The reason we have notes is to allow communication even when people are not at the same location at the same time. We might as well be carving messages into the ground or passing them through doors in series of knocks but for simplicity's sake it's done by writing so that the players could understand it.

I don't think deterioration is much of an issue currently so there's no need for eternal items, and that wouldn't make much sense either.
Not-so-sad panda
Wolf

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:37 pm

For someone who's new, you sure seem to pose as an expert of the capital rule.
Which is interesting because you don't bother to get a feel for the forum by checking what already has or hasn't been discussed, and in a few other posts you already got corrected, and in at least one case you were noted as sounding hostile.
But I'll keep it simple and clean... and use the backspace key on the stuff I just typed in which I just handed you your rear end on a platter.
Here goes the simple and clean version:

1. An expert on the Capital Rule, eh? Well, as a new player you'd need more time to get a feel for all the subtleties of the CRB.
Don't accuse someone of breaking it without stating how it's broken - because you broke a few rules as well.

2. You seem to have a hang for going hostile if someone answers your posts in a way that doesn't suit what you want to hear. Get a hold of yourself, count to ten, and remember that many here played the game far longer than you, and as such have acquired more knowledge about how things work than you. Trust me, that's part of avoiding people going against you simply for you being you - this is something which I guess many people learn, even I had my moment in life where I had to be reminded of that.

3. When you bounce the ball, expect it back.
You claim everything I said went against the CRB... it doesn't.
But since you are so knowledgable of rules and stuff, maybe you can explain to me why (a) you failed to read the announcements and/or stickied threads/posts which said to use search before suggesting anything... and (b) why you stressed that you were a new player, thus implying that you weren't aware of many of the subtleties that one learns with time, yet as soon as you don't like an answer, you accuse me of breaking the CRB?

4. A car, bike etc. appearing in a stone-age Cantrian town, is not magic to the characters by definition.
Some will roleplay such things as being magic or alien, their choice - and some do it well - but the majority would start building those things as soon as they have the tools and materials, not caring one bit about how those characters got the know-how to do it, and it would be considered normal.

*your* character sees no difference between a motorcycle and a wand... then why force other players to have to actually see magic in the game?
Many players play their chars from a perspective that there is no magic, hence my joking about an army of magic-haters, as the majority of my chars also believes that magic is humbug - though they do have their own beliefs and superstitions.
They just don't bother to want to see the rest of the Cantrian world around them to bend to their views.
Well, onew kinda does... but that's why he's on his way to becoming a great ruler... the greatest ever.... some day...
Next time you accuse me of how everything I say is against the CRB, at least waterproof your own words against it.
The charm of Cantr, to many, is that there is no set system of magic, mana, and stuff... there's plenty of that in other games.
Wolf

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:44 pm

The edit-button (and quote button) seemed to be missing, hence this additional post.

A correction to this part:
Which is interesting because you don't bother to get a feel for the forum by checking what already has or hasn't been discussed, and in a few other posts you already got corrected, and in at least one case you were noted as sounding hostile.

My bad, was reading a post that looked similar to your response, but posted by someone else.
Somehow I lost track of which post I was replying to and which one I was just reading.
The other person was the one who acted hostile when given an answer he didn't like - or even understood.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:53 pm

There's no need to get hostile Wolf, I don't think he was accusing you of anything.

And ilumino, do not quote the whole post if it's more than a few sentences, especially if it's directly above your own post. Only quote the parts you are commenting on.

Motorbikes may use magic now but they are about to switch on to using different fuels soon. I think there will be an announcement when it happens.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”