A bit of myth?

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Meh

A bit of myth?

Postby Meh » Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:12 pm

Would it be good to have a bit of myth?

Not actaul fantasy things but thing that make the chracters belive in those things?

IRL the myth of the centaur may have come from people who had always know horses but had never thought they could be ridden. A person riding quickly by could be mistaken for a new kind of human-beast.

There's been some other posts out changing appearance with cloths and another one on armor. Were the sterotypical horns on the helmets of the "vikings" there for show or spread fear to the other side?

A more subtle thing would be the theif or invader "in sheeps clothing" that can cloak themselves as an animal. Who would suspect two raccons coming into town? {not for small animals, but a sheep maybe?} Now if they are the only animal there and get hit then the ruse would be revealed. Also if they talked outloud and not just whisper directly to each other.

A large mythical statue outside of town could scare off people.

Now if we know these things aren't real in the game, would enough people role play there fear of them?
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:06 pm

I think the majority of people wouldn't. In my experience most people think about things with our western/modern viewpoint
Meh

Postby Meh » Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:09 pm

Then UFOs to take from modern myth.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:11 pm

point, but in game you have a hard time convincing anyone to roleplay along with you if you suggest something that is not true in the game.
Meh

Postby Meh » Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:21 pm

point to you as well :)
ephiroll

Postby ephiroll » Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:17 pm

I think that in due time myths will be created by the chars in the game, it won't be about mystical creatures or UFOs, but will result from info becoming forgotten, getting confused, or from things chars directly say. For instance, some people in Krif, see Craktar as a blooddrinking killer. As from his claims of dragging people inside the KSF, killing them, and drinking their blood. It's just that not many chars care to speak about it. In time, each place will probly develope such boogeymen, or stories will begin surrounding other well known chars after they are dead. Those stories are the start of myths.
http://www.ephiroll.com
Jeremiah 'Jerry' Donaldson
Missy

Postby Missy » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:33 pm

Myths will also come eventually with the more stories people write....
I don't remember where But someone had dropped a story on the ground
It was written in a way that introduces ghosts...although none of the characters yet understand what ghost is....the word is used...and soon i imagine that characters will ask.."What is this thing you speak of"
It will be described...and then soon other characters will be saying..."I think i saw a ghost" etc
Missy

Postby Missy » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:34 pm

In time more mythicial things will come too when people write...because well characters do have imaginations right? They see animals now...maybe one day a character might see an animal and describe it on a note.....
anyone who reads the note could get any number of impressions....
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:38 pm

David Goodwin>

By the way...the vikings didn't even have horns on their helmets... :wink:
jeslange

myths/legends

Postby jeslange » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:26 am

When kids get introduced to the game, maybe myths will grow and spread faster. Like in Krif, people might tell their kids that if they go in a building without permission, the "Evil Cracktar" will get them, or something like that, even years and years after he's been dead. I've also seen that myths/legends are already heavily present, but they haven't developed into long drawn-out sagas for the most part. Most people think what they are speaking and hearing is the truth, but each time the story is told, I notice they become more or less dramatic, and if someone asks a question about the story, the speaker tends to add details that are sometimes more fitting to the story than to fact. I can only tell that these things are becoming legends and myths because my other chars have seen the truth, but those who don't see it assume the story about it is the truth. I bet "historical" writings will spread myths alot faster in the future.
jeslange

Postby jeslange » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:38 pm

Because social beliefs and such won't ever be coded into Cantr, myths can only be introduced by the characters themselves.
surreptitious

Postby surreptitious » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:06 am

EDIT: Removed irrelevant spam
Chris Johnson
Doodle_Jack

Postby Doodle_Jack » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:31 am

Another example of myths and mysteries. In the Dutch town Sil it is said that all who dares to become leader of the town will die or vanish. It is commonly known as "The Curse of Sil"!!!
Just A Bill

Postby Just A Bill » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:41 am

There already are legends, for example people who could hit everybody in town without getting tired, as well as the mythic time when Iron could be picked up right off the ground...
Thetaris

Postby Thetaris » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:03 am

Doodle_Jack wrote:Another example of myths and mysteries. In the Dutch town Sil it is said that all who dares to become leader of the town will die or vanish. It is commonly known as "The Curse of Sil"!!!

That's actually really funny, there is obviously a Tyrant of a leader there! Wait, is there even a leader now?
Evolution is unconformity.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”