Make dragging raw materials instant

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Racetyme

Make dragging raw materials instant

Postby Racetyme » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:00 pm

Does it seem odd to anyone else that it can take hours to pull piles of raw materials to place to place, when you can do it instantly by just picking them up and moving? On that note, I'd like to request that dragging raw materials be made into an instant project, to save my rl time moving from place to place repeatedly carrying supplies.
Talapus

Postby Talapus » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:03 pm

Dragging raw materials already is an instant project, just like any other dragging.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:17 pm

Yeah, you just don't have enough strength to move the whole pile on your own. Strangely enough, if you can almost drag it then picking up as much as you carry will make it move because the weight in your inventory doesn't burden you down. But if it's bigger than that, get some help. Usually it's 20-something kilos that can be dragged by one person.
Not-so-sad panda
Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:43 am

I mean why make the weight have any effect. Right now I am having a little problem spending the rl time required to move 400 kilos, when I think that the system should just allow me to move it instantly, because it is taking me no game time, just a massive amount of my real time to get it moved otherwise.
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:32 am

I know it's a drag, (pun intended,) and I guess you have an 80 day potato project to clear up, but you have to have some semblance of reality even in Cantr. 400kg is nearly half a ton.
And think how you'd feel if some thief had beaten you to it and dragged the lot into his boat/car and was away.
shapukas

Postby shapukas » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:39 am

Maby there should be some sort of devise that would help to move even a biger pile of resourses?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:41 am

How about the (improved) wheelbarrow? It could get a solid plus X kilos when dragging resources, in addition to what you can normally drag. And yeah, you wouldn't want thieves to drag away your taters. Start smaller projects if you want to drag it all alone, that's what I do.
Not-so-sad panda
Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:16 pm

My character wasn't even born when this project was started, but I'll keep that in mind for next time. And I guess I didn't think of the thieves, that one seems valid.
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:47 pm

Racetyme wrote:I mean why make the weight have any effect. Right now I am having a little problem spending the rl time required to move 400 kilos, when I think that the system should just allow me to move it instantly, because it is taking me no game time, just a massive amount of my real time to get it moved otherwise.

In RL, moving 1000 kilos should require some time. At least, the last time I had to move 1 ton of stone from one place to another not far (100 meters), using a wheelbarrow and a basket, it took to me a few hours, and I had to sweat.

400 kilos in Cantr are more in real life. You know: in Cantr a ships weights 20 kilos, a battle axe less than a kilo, a comon daily meal less than 100 grams. The only weights a bit "realistic" are the characters weights (60 kilo one body). So...

Anyways, I like Seko's suggestion of using the wheelbarrow (it is a tool, isn't it?) in order to... duplicate load capacity of a character?
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:01 pm

As said in This thread

Chris Johnson wrote:
The problem with any partial dragging (either selection of amount to drag, or dragging all you can) is that the initial pile of resources can change its state in numerous ways - people can add to it, take things from it , projects can complete and end up adding to it, it can be dragged by others and outside a lot of resources can rot during the day.

Even in a dragging project which seems to work immediately there are plenty of chances for the pile to be altered because of the numerous checks which are made on dragging (object still there, you're not doing any thing else, the target is unlocked etc), for simplicity's sake we overcome this by requiring the whole pile to be moved.

Because of this it is unlikely we will implement a partial moving system - especially as there are in-game methods of achieving that - they may not be ideal but characters can take several journeys .

There is some merit in the wheelbarrow suggestions

I've moved this thread to Rejected Suggestions and will add the wheelbarrow suggestion to Accepted Suggestions

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”