Alternate Realm - Duplicate suggestion

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

N-Aldwitch

Alternate Realm - Duplicate suggestion

Postby N-Aldwitch » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

Listen up- this is different to the apocalypse suggestion.
(hehe I'm so bossy)
Similar, but different.
We're all fed up with lag. Okay, most of us are, at the least.

What I propose, is a very, very small world. Perhaps made up of 3 medium-sized islands, or 5 very small islands (smaller than K-Island but larger than that tiny one called Aki or what ever).

However, this alternate realm is hosted on a different server, a fresh server. (thus eliminating lag, and keeping it off due to the size of the game)

Due to the smallness of the world, unlike the current Cantr world which apparently has only 3% of the towns colonised, the small world/realm would allow for some very interesting conflicts and economical growths- some interesting Society simulation.

Here is where there are two options.. these are two extreme ideas, greatly seperate from each other.

The first is, only players who have played Cantr for more than a year are allowed to join, and they have to pay a subscription fee,

The second is, you just have to send an application to Cantr staff to review and then give you the credentials to try out this new realm.

WHY?
This is great for everyone. Please let me explain:
- Great for those completely sick of the lag
- Great for those who have been looking for an Oldbies resort.. or a place to play alongside veterans
- Great for those who have wanted the apocalypse idea implemented!
- Great for those who wanted to pay for Cantr and get something back
- Great for those who want to try out Cantr fresh
- Great for those who love starting a new community and building it up
- Great for those who know that the current Cantr will never fill up, the current 2,000 player base already lags it like hell, and 2,000 = 3%, so imagine what 20,000 players equals.. 10 times the lag, (actually the lag would become exponential, meaning it would rise faster and faster) and still only 30% filled up.
- Great!!!
(there's a few more I had, I'll edit this post and add them in as I go)
- (here's one!) Great for those who love playing Cantr heaps!! (you get to play Old Cantr, and New Cantr!)

I'll do the minority a favour and point out a few problems.
- Servers. (who pays for it if we decide Subscription isn't an option?)
- Player base in Old Cantr lowers.
That's all I can think of.. I really hate bringing up the downside to my suggestion but I'd prefer to be open about it than hide it- there is a chance that it may limit the amount of characters in Old Cantr...
...however, some players have been looking for extra stuff to do on Cantr- this is great for those who love spending ages on Cantr.

So, thoughts, opinions, etc?
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:07 pm

I can kind of get into this, but my get tells me its a bad idea. I have a feeling many people would abandon old cantr. There will probably be a reset of old cantr one day, when we have enough new implementations stacked up. Can't we just wait until then? Also, if we are doing this because of the lag, then we can always fix that with a different method. And finally, about the subscriptions, I will probably not pay. With the option to play in old, free cantr, which I love, why would I move?
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:19 pm

The lag issue is irrelevant. As for the rest: yes, the world is too large. But unless there are any totally uninhabited islands Iit's impossible to reduce it without fouling up a bunch of chars doing the pioneer work that would be achieved by a reset.
To mention again a game I've played in the past, 1000AD, someone set up an alternative world with this, with all the "improvements" removed, so it really was a return to the original. I'm not sure it was very successful competing with the "proper" game, and I doubt this would be either, but if someone's willing to try it, and, of course, if Jos is willing to release the data, it could be tried.
Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:35 pm

I still fear a split. Even if this has wide support, I hope that the administration shoots it down, for now. I don't think our little world is ready for this.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm

If you're going to put something on a different server, then split the Wiki and forums away from the game server, at least we will be able to get access to the forums and other OOC pages when the game is lagging
deadboy

Postby deadboy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:39 pm

Hell, I'd switch all my characters to it (So long as I didn't have to pay) I'm all for going back to the old style Cantr
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we" - George W. Bush
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:47 pm

deadboy wrote:Hell, I'd switch all my characters to it (So long as I didn't have to pay) I'm all for going back to the old style Cantr

What exactly is the old style Cantr?

The game has never stopped being developed, so what point does the game become "old style"?

Is it before skills? before dynamic naming? Before animals? Before iron refining? Before lock picking? Before locks? Before steel refining? Before buildings?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:57 pm

There will probably be a reset of old cantr one day, when we have enough new implementations stacked up.

Cantr will never be reset. The number of players that would leave in disgust would cripple the game.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Because, of course, Cantr staff are hired on the basis of their ability to shit gold nuggets...

Nice idea, but a costly solution, with no guarantees of success - why would a new server be fantastic, if the database scripts/queues/whatnot which possibly are causing the lag, are the same?
deadboy

Postby deadboy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:37 pm

formerly known as hf wrote:Because, of course, Cantr staff are hired on the basis of their ability to shit gold nuggets...

Nice idea, but a costly solution, with no guarantees of success - why would a new server be fantastic, if the database scripts/queues/whatnot which possibly are causing the lag, are the same?

Theroretically, it would spread people out across both servers, cutting the lag in half for both. Also, though I -know- the result would be negligable, with a small world there would be less animals to process
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we" - George W. Bush
Antono Flavio

Postby Antono Flavio » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:01 pm

That would make the original Cantr world even less populated than now. :?
Image Image Image Image Image
Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:07 pm

Antono Flavio wrote:That would make the original Cantr world even less populated than now. :?

Exactly why I am not a big fan.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:16 pm

This is essentially a duplicate of an idea suggested many times before

For instance see
http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10497

Moved to rejected suggestions as a duplicate

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”