Badges/Medals - Duplicate

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Spazz

Badges/Medals - Duplicate

Postby Spazz » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:10 pm

I looked and couldn't find any previous suggestions for this.

Badges, a piece of clothing worn on the chest of a character, made from various materials (Ie.: Wood, bone, ceramic, bronze, iron, silver, etc.)

Of course they would take the normal tools/equipment for making things with whatever material they would be made from. I'm suggesting this for their use in help identifying Authority figures or military forces. It would be great if somehow the design could be set by the maker, or maybe for them to put some wording on it.

Ie:

He wears:

*A silver badge with the words "Place Royal Guard" intricately engraved on it

or:

He wears:

*An iron badge shaped like an eagle, bearing "Army of Place" in bold lettering

And for people in charge:

*A gold crest with a large diamond embedded in it, reading *King Joe of Place*

Just a quick note I'm suggesting crests as another thing, made only with metals. As in it would be possible to have a gold badge and the example crest in your inventory, but your character would only be able to wear one at a time.

Tell me what you think.
DELGRAD

Postby DELGRAD » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:28 pm

I think that is a good idea.
Maybe a badge press could be made similar to a coin press to make badges and the badges would be unique to the press that makes them.

Maybe even have a general press and there would be diferent dies that could be used as tools on the press so one press could make different things.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:41 pm

But there are no eagles in Cantr. It would be cool if this could be combined with the knowledge thing, that you could gain knowledge of animal species by being in the same location with them. Then you could use them in jewelry and such. Right now the only animal themed piece of jewelry is the scarab earrings, which require scarab shell based on the assumption that the person who has scarab shell has most likely also seen a living scarab, or bought the shell from a person who has.
Not-so-sad panda
Spazz

Postby Spazz » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:43 pm

The press idea sounds good, but only for the metal badges, I can see one of the more primitive badges now:

"You see a man in his twenties use some bone on Pressing a Bone Badge."

I think carving tools should suffice for wood and bone, and maybe a chisel for stone.

Your idea of having badges unique to a press is a great idea to prevent easy faking (and possible CR breach fakes), and the die idea is wonderful, however, I can see both of these requiring a good deal of work to implement.
Spazz

Postby Spazz » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:47 pm

I see, I was just throwing out the eagle as part of an example to give a rough idea of how it would work. I suppose it could be shaped like a wolf, bear, or even a cow if that floats your boat, or a design that has nothing at all to do with an animal (Ie: A sword or a shield).

Otherwise, what do you think of the idea?
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:06 pm

A good idea but already suggested , see http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1999

Moved to rejected suggestions as a duplicate
DELGRAD

Postby DELGRAD » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:08 pm

Spazz wrote:The press idea sounds good, but only for the metal badges, I can see one of the more primitive badges now:

"You see a man in his twenties use some bone on Pressing a Bone Badge."

I think carving tools should suffice for wood and bone, and maybe a chisel for stone.

Your idea of having badges unique to a press is a great idea to prevent easy faking (and possible CR breach fakes), and the die idea is wonderful, however, I can see both of these requiring a good deal of work to implement.

I was only thinking of metal being used in a press.
I also would think that it would take a lot of work to get this implemented.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”