Reinforced Iron Shield

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

N-Aldwitch

Reinforced Iron Shield

Postby N-Aldwitch » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:29 pm

You need an anvil to hammer this into place, and you need four steel 'strips' that you hammer on to the front of an iron shield, thus reinforcing it.
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
Pieter de Groote

Postby Pieter de Groote » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:54 pm

Why?
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:22 pm

Personally I see no need for this with the current combat system, which for all it's problems is balanced in terms of protection and combat damge

That aside, there is a thread for weapons and protection so I've move this to rejected suggestions
Surly

Postby Surly » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:20 pm

Balanced? Are you actually joking?
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:49 pm

Has someone ever defined what is balanced?
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:11 pm

Ooh fancy, I was going to go along with Chris and be like 'yeah ahh ok that makes sense, sorry, etc' but ooh two people arguing about Chris's only argument against, Balance!!

"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:18 pm

Balanced? Like angels on the point of a pin?

Gah, balancing seems a tad pointless when the combat system itself needs a re-think. It may have been viable in early Cantr days, grumble grumble but too many changes to other areas have made grumble grumble the combat system cumbersome and reliant on unimaginative strategies...
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:12 pm

xD, Farmer.

N, I was not arguing, just... I wonder what is balanced, which criterions are use, or how can we measure that balance.
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:22 pm

I think the statement was referring to the idea that the average level of protection is adequate to deal with the average amount of damage dealt out.

You guys can piss and moan about the level of "average" all you want. You'll complain if we lower it. You'll complain if we raise it. You'll complain if we narrow the spread, you'll complain if we widen it. You'll complain if we do something, you'll complain if we do nothing. You'll complain if the players adjust, you'll complain if they keep doing the same thing. You'll complain if there is nothing to complain about.

Oh c'mon Henry! We can't help it if Hotlips O'Houlihan can't stand the sound of her own name!

Pull the pickle out of your ass and let the rest of us get on with the game.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:30 pm

wichita wrote:I think the statement was referring to the idea that the average level of protection is adequate to deal with the average amount of damage dealt out.

You guys can piss and moan about the level of "average" all you want. You'll complain if we lower it. You'll complain if we raise it. You'll complain if we narrow the spread, you'll complain if we widen it. You'll complain if we do something, you'll complain if we do nothing. You'll complain if the players adjust, you'll complain if they keep doing the same thing. You'll complain if there is nothing to complain about.

Oh c'mon Henry! We can't help it if Hotlips O'Houlihan can't stand the sound of her own name!

No we won't! I've never complained once in these forums! And either has anyone else!

.. oh wait..

Surly

Postby Surly » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:36 pm

wichita wrote:You guys can piss and moan about the level of "average" all you want. You'll complain if we lower it. You'll complain if we raise it. You'll complain if we narrow the spread, you'll complain if we widen it. You'll complain if we do something, you'll complain if we do nothing. You'll complain if the players adjust, you'll complain if they keep doing the same thing. You'll complain if there is nothing to complain about.
Well, obviously because the RD chair mocks us for complaining, the system is perfect :roll:
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Arlequin

Postby Arlequin » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:27 am

I want to burn incoming enemy ships reflecting the sun with bronze shields... :o
♫ bling! ♫
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:07 am

I might be out of line, but why censor myself just because I happen to be "The Man", apparently...

Constructive criticism and organized, rational opinions I will gladly accept and engage in a civilized discussion. Flung poo, however, reaps a different reward.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
dryn

Postby dryn » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:59 pm

The Surly Cantrian wrote:
wichita wrote:You guys can piss and moan about the level of "average" all you want. You'll complain if we lower it. You'll complain if we raise it. You'll complain if we narrow the spread, you'll complain if we widen it. You'll complain if we do something, you'll complain if we do nothing. You'll complain if the players adjust, you'll complain if they keep doing the same thing. You'll complain if there is nothing to complain about.
Well, obviously because the RD chair mocks us for complaining, the system is perfect :roll:

Personally I didn't think of it as mocking so much as stating the obvious. You can't make changes based purely off complaints as there will almost always be someone who will complain about any aspect of the game.

Also he didn't say/imply anything about the system being perfect. The thing is even if criteria do get established for what is balenced and what is not then people will just complain about *that*.
deadboy

Postby deadboy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:03 am

wichita wrote:I think the statement was referring to the idea that the average level of protection is adequate to deal with the average amount of damage dealt out.

Hell, I'm English, you can't really blame me ;)
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we" - George W. Bush

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”