bronze coins - Already implemented

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Nosajimiki

bronze coins - Already implemented

Postby Nosajimiki » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:41 pm

I don't have dirrect access to any coin presses to see if they exist but the Wiki doesnt show them. Bronze would make an awesome coinage matterial b/c it's so hard and pain in the butt to to conterfiet them... who knows maybe Cantr might even see it's first gram of the stuff smelted for some city looking for a high value coin matterial :lol:
#004400 is my favorite color.
Elros

Postby Elros » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:45 pm

I have a quick question about coins. I have never seen them ingame, and I am just wondering what they are used for or what is their purpose? Do towns use them as currency? Do they have insciptions on them? ect..
Every action has a consequence.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:54 pm

There are some coins out there... and they do have worded engravings on them. I've only seen a couple. Not many have though, I don't think. There's only one area I can think of that may use them regularly at this moment in time (not entirely sure on that one though). A couple of other areas may have tried.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Elros

Postby Elros » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:57 pm

So what were they designed for? I mean what did the RD have in mind for them? Where they just for RPing, or did they have something else in mind?
Every action has a consequence.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:11 pm

Coins can be made from bronze already
as well as gold, silver, copper, nickel, iron, steel, platinum,tin, chromium and cobalt.

They are designed for whatever characters want to use them for in game .

Moved to rejected suggestions as this is already implemented.
Nosajimiki

Postby Nosajimiki » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:19 am

thankyou... seems time to update Wiki
Frits

Postby Frits » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:15 am

Elros wrote:I have a quick question about coins. I have never seen them ingame, and I am just wondering what they are used for or what is their purpose? Do towns use them as currency? Do they have insciptions on them? ect..

Two of my chars own a kind of coinage. Made in a coinpress which is named as the coins are. They usually, each coincidentally, represent one day of labor. This includes a one day value for things like leather and iron.
Sho

Postby Sho » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:38 am

Nosajimiki wrote:thankyou... seems time to update Wiki

Yes, it is. Perhaps someone might want to step in and take some of the load off of the RD staffers?
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:38 pm

http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10475

IMO, coins are a loss of time, in two ways: you need to employ effort on making it (a per se useless object) without the guarantee that it would be accepted in other places, AND you have to exchange the coins one by one (if you buy sth with 20 coins, you have to give 1 coin 20 times).
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
Nosajimiki

Postby Nosajimiki » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:23 am

there are many coins with larger than one day labour increments. I know a place that uses 5 day labour coins as standard, and I've heard of coins worth as much as 20. Also, you need to keep in mind that money is a credit system. If I make 20 (5)day coins in one day, I've established 100 days worth of credit notes in a day which is unto itself practical. Think of it like this. You get a newspawn and you want to hire him. If you pay him in resources then he will quickly fill his inventory and feel compelled to stop working for you when he has enough (This is even a problem when paying in relitively light things like iron and steel). If you pay him in money that you and a few local buisnessmen have agreed to use, then you can keep him around longer b/c he can hold his wealth without needing a house or vehical for stashing it. It also generates wealth for you when one of these characters skips town or dies leaving his coins either with you or somewhere far away where they can't be cashed in. Payment types like food/wood/metal/etc are more prone to consumption

The same can be done in smaller comunities using notes, but the more people able to issue and recieve the notes, the eaiser for someone to counterfiet a transaction. Coins are difficult to counterfiet b/c you need to both make a duplicate press and get the right metals for the coin. (picking cheap but non-local metals for large increment coins makes it even harder.)
Wilmer Bordonado

Postby Wilmer Bordonado » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:13 am

Sicofonte wrote:http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10475

IMO, coins are a loss of time, in two ways: you need to employ effort on making it (a per se useless object) without the guarantee that it would be accepted in other places, AND you have to exchange the coins one by one (if you buy sth with 20 coins, you have to give 1 coin 20 times).

Please forgive me for being off-topic!

I'm a bit tired about discussing about currency, but here's some hints.

* Coins are a loss of time for primitive societies or individual efforts. They'd better trade on raw materials. Then the abuse is represented on how far those materials are from the point of trading.

* Coins are useful for industrial societies, because they represent their stock of items to be trade, and the amount of resources to be purchased. Then the abuse is set by the work an item has taken to be built.

Resuming, IMO Coins help a lot on settling cities. It's a way to have the resources carried to them.

Wilmer B.

Ps. I do agree with Sicofonte's second idea, multiple coins operation is a NEED!
SI A LA VIDA, NO A LAS PAPELERAS!
http://www.noalapapelera.com.ar
YES TO LIFE, NO TO PULP MILLS!
http://chrislang.blogspot.com/2006_08_31_chrislang_archive.html
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:11 pm

Wilmer Bordonado wrote:Resuming, IMO Coins help a lot on settling cities. It's a way to have the resources carried to them.

Depending on the gatherer, it can happen the the opposite, to scare them away. If they think that they are obliged to use the coins when there is no NEEd to it, they will look for other places. I'd do.

Wilmer Bordonado wrote:Ps. I do agree with Sicofonte's second idea, multiple coins operation is a NEED!

It is made that suggestion in a thread?
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:14 pm

Sicofonte wrote:
Wilmer Bordonado wrote:Ps. I do agree with Sicofonte's second idea, multiple coins operation is a NEED!

It is made that suggestion in a thread?

Yes in Accepted Suggestions

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”