notifications of finished projects

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

T-shirt

notifications of finished projects

Postby T-shirt » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:07 pm

You only see a description of projects your character started or finishes when that project is complete. It's can be hard to stay aware of what's happening at your character's location.
I suggest you can see any project which manufatures or builds an object is described on the events screen.

[date]: The construction of [dynamic name of project initiator if present]'s [object] is completed by [dynamic name of participant one].

985: The construction of <b>Mr Smith</b>'s small pickup is completed by <b>Mr Smith</b> and <b>Mrs Smith</b>.

1276: The construction of someone's bone knife is completed by <b>a man in his twenties</b>. (if initiator is not present)
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - G. Marx
Spider

Postby Spider » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:19 pm

What, no privacy?! How are you suppose to be sneaky and steal old projects if people always see you finishing stuff, geez :lol:
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:56 pm

Cantrians are already much to much aware of what goes on for my liking

I vote firmly against this for several reasons,

1) A removal of yet more privacy
2) An additional load on the server this would massively increase the number of events we'd have to store as you are proposing an event for every observer for every project
3) The characters I have in the busier towns don't want to see a page of 5 or 10 project completions every 3 hours
Elros

Postby Elros » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:44 pm

I would have to agree with everyone else on this topic as well. I know where you are probably coming from with the idea. Because when people pick stuff off of the ground and say it was there's and that they gathered it, it would be nice to know if it was true, but overall it would be a bad addition to the game. So my vote is *holds thumb down* no.
Every action has a consequence.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:52 pm

And what if it was only building completions, not digging etc.?
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:03 am

Jos Elkink wrote:And what if it was only building completions, not digging etc.?

That sounds like a good idea... it's not like you can secretly build even a shack!
R.I.P:
Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
Elros

Postby Elros » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:04 am

When it really comes down to it though, what is the point? I mean how would this be helpful? I mean I think you will notice when a new building pops up on the location. Why would you need a event telling you that?
Spider

Postby Spider » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:06 am

To be fair, he was only talking about manufactoring stuff, not gathering. Still, I don't like it, I don't like nosey people watching me make stuff. If they want that, then they should focus on spying on everyone while they work.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:38 am

I reckon you should implement this, turn it off to save server load, and let the player decide to turn it on or whatnot. That way only the leaders or guards of towns need it on.
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
Schme

Postby Schme » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:37 pm

I don't like the idea.
"One death is a tragedy, a million is just statistics."
Joseph Stalin
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:44 pm

Why not?
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:51 pm

Phalynx wrote:
Jos Elkink wrote:And what if it was only building completions, not digging etc.?

That sounds like a good idea... it's not like you can secretly build even a shack!

You can't really secretly build a building anyway (or manufacturing projects, for that matter, except on vehicles or in empty buildings); everyone sees what you're doing when you add the materials.

Overall, I think it would just be kind of useless and annoying to see your chars light up because something of someone else's design and desire finished. It's really only good for those that aren't working on it or have started it that have an interest in its completion. Most of the chars with an interest in it will be working on it anyway. And if it's a town thing that everyone is interested in, someone is going to announce it most likely.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Elros

Postby Elros » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:08 am

the_antisocial_hermit wrote:
Phalynx wrote:

You can't really secretly build a building anyway (or manufacturing projects, for that matter, except on vehicles or in empty buildings); everyone sees what you're doing when you add the materials.

Overall, I think it would just be kind of useless and annoying to see your chars light up because something of someone else's design and desire finished. It's really only good for those that aren't working on it or have started it that have an interest in its completion. Most of the chars with an interest in it will be working on it anyway. And if it's a town thing that everyone is interested in, someone is going to announce it most likely.

That is what I am saying also. It is pretty much a pointless thing to have. If someone really wants to see what projects are going on and which ones have completed for some reason, then all they have to is look on the Activity screen. But this whole idea of everyones project completions pooping up seems like a bigger server load and alot more clutter on the events screen.
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:53 am

Spider wrote:To be fair, he was only talking about manufactoring stuff, not gathering. Still, I don't like it, I don't like nosey people watching me make stuff. If they want that, then they should focus on spying on everyone while they work.

:? If you don't want people to know what you're doing, do it where people can't see it. Like inside a building or vehicle or in a deserted location.

:shock: In Cantr you can see when someone puts a piece of paper on the ground, but won't notice someone putting a galleon in the water.

:roll: If you don't want other people to be able to notice when something is created, should not all changes not directly affecting your character be left from the events screen; people dropping notes, people dying from hunger or heart attacks, notes being moved.
Frits

Postby Frits » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:39 am

Now you're taking it to far, i can see your reasoning from a realistic viewpoint but gameplay is more important. Imagine if a char dies and nobody notices the body under objects, except a non-resident who chooses to bury the body rightaway, needless confusion would ensue.
Do we really need to see chars activities involving notes? Apart maybe from when notes are being pulled.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”