Vehicle Change: Road Accesibility

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Mykey

Postby Mykey » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:45 pm

Phalynx wrote:I'd love to be in on the virtual meetings where these ridiculous ideas come up....

"Item 1 on the agenda: evil schemes for today"

That makes 2 of us. :wink:
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
Nixit

Postby Nixit » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:05 am

I don't really see how this would even 'balance' the game. It seems that there is already a pretty good balance. Big cars take a LONG time and a LOT of resources to make. Then they can haul lots of resources, and go faster than most. MAYBE make them slower, but if you restrict the use of them, that's just silly.

And the resources required to upgrade roads require raw materials that are rare in many parts. Well, only oil, but it's a heck of a lot more rare than the standard materials needed to build a van, etc.
Just because you're older, smarter, stronger, more talented... doesn't mean you're BETTER.
radrobert

this just sucks

Postby radrobert » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:21 am

I dont own a vehicle and any time i need a ride i hitch hike from place to place. i have been in allot of the vehicles in the game, i think it would be pointless to implement this.Saying one type of car cant go one any road is like saying some boats can sail but others just have to sit at the dock. a road is a road and in RL all cars can drive on all roads it just depends on how quickly they can do it. I say if your going for realism work on adding pollution not how well the cars actually work.
Talapus

Re: this just sucks

Postby Talapus » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:43 am

radrobert wrote:a road is a road and in RL all cars can drive on all roads...

Not true. I have been on plenty of roads that a sedan would be unable to travel on, and I have been on roads that nothing but a CAT can use (40-50% grades). The roads you are thinking of are all paved or gravel, not the rough roads that you will find in back country.
radrobert

Postby radrobert » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:46 am

You understand what i meant though, anything is possible and in cantr i havent seen a CAT or any k3 construction machinery. So the general consensus so far is to just slow them down on certain roads? Thats how i thought it worked already, i dont know though since i just hitch hike around cantr.
Maelstrom

Postby Maelstrom » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:01 am

*watches players scurrying to take over the uninhabited locations with oil*

;)

It's interesting to see the widely divergent opinions on what even makes up the different types of roads.

To me, sand road != dirt road. I grew up by dunes, so I think of, well, shifting sands that have been spread out so the weeds and such don't grow up anymore. A path to me has always been sort of a deer track, just a thin line of soil that lets you know how to get from point A to point B. That's possibly part of the large discrepancies in opinions.

-Mael
Talapus

Postby Talapus » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:13 am

Maelstrom wrote:It's interesting to see the widely divergent opinions on what even makes up the different types of roads.

That is very true. The only two that are easy to discribe are the path and the expressway. Paths exist between locations even before the first person sets foot in the area, so they can be nothing more then animal tracks. And an expressway is the best road that can exist, so they must resemble the autobahn, or perhaps the US interstate system. The highway I always assumed was a well paved and maintained road. The paved road to me is a poorly maintained road, that is only wide enough for one car (you need to use pullouts if there is a car oncomming), and the sand road is a dirt road, perhaps starting to get overgrown with vegetation.
Marian

Postby Marian » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:42 am

Yeah, trucks can handle more rugged terrain than other vehicles, but it's still a little ridiculous to me to hear people insisting all these vehicles should be able to drive over just about any road. I wonder if we all woke up tomorrow morning and the highways had all disappeared and everything had gone back to how it was 200 years ago how everyone's car would do. I love my truck and all, but I doubt I could drive it through straight through several miles of mesquite...

Dee wrote:I think I agree with the suggestion, but if it does get implemented, then you SHOULD put oil on every land. Every island must have oil in order to make this game better.

Now this I will agree with. I'd like to see oil play a bigger part in the game, to help preserve tools and upkeep roads and make fuel for vehicles, but first it has to be put in more towns. Even if you had to build and oil pump to access it at all.
Bowser

Postby Bowser » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:31 am

If implemented, nothing will change. No government will make more of an effort to improve the roads. People will just build stationcars and small vans and no longer build sportscars.

Luxury vehicles will still be made as a sign of wealth.

I have built many dirtbikes and zero road motorcycles. The reason being, I believe a dirt bike is the fastest way to get from point A to point B without worrying about roads.

When I decide what car to make, I decide how much I want to carry and how much I am willing to spend. I will now have to consider which cars can drive on sand roads and I will ONLY build those. Problem solved from this day forward, but the cars that were made before will be come limited. There is no reason to pick certain cars and retro-restrict them.

Before dirtbikes, the sportscar was the motor vehicle made to move a persona nd limited resources from one spot to another. Now we have dirt bikes, if you just want to move yourself fast, you build a bike. If you want to be a trader, you should skip the sportscar anyways, we need more cargo room.. but just don't go too big.

...but I ramble.
Homer wrote: "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel. "
Talapus

Postby Talapus » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:50 am

Bowser wrote:When I decide what car to make, I decide how much I want to carry and how much I am willing to spend. I will now have to consider which cars can drive on sand roads and I will ONLY build those.

You are correct. I am of the opinion that if this change is to take place, everything larger then a dirt bike that doesn't take aluminum should not be able to travel on sand roads (including all vans and cars). Aluminum vehicles are much more expensive, and so should be able to travel on lower level roads.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:26 am

Marian wrote:I wonder if we all woke up tomorrow morning and the highways had all disappeared and everything had gone back to how it was 200 years ago how everyone's car would do. I love my truck and all, but I doubt I could drive it through straight through several miles of mesquite...

I've been in many trucks driving through pastures and mesquite probably not all that different to how it was 200 years ago other than having shifted a little and now having rusted barbed wire pieces, tin pieces, and nails (debris accumulated from the past many years or so in that area) that need to be avoided so they don't get flats. It doesn't affect how they drive, unless it's particularly muddy out or the mesquite trees (bushes) are particularly dense or a ditch. Like I said, my dad wouldn't have bought and used trucks for checking fences and fields and pastures and cattle if they couldn't handle relatively rough terrain.

Tal, not all the roads I think of are paved or gravel. Most of the roads around the one I described are pot-hole filled dirt ones for miles and miles and miles around that can't be driven on when it rains very much. The paved/gravel ones aren't much better there either. All really only wide enough for one vehicle to drive on and ill-kept.

At any rate, I still insist that pick-up trucks and tractors should be left well enough alone, and I'm seeing the points to some of the others not being changed too. I still think Mykey's idea for basing the changes on was better than what I see so far.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:49 am

I have no time to read up... Sorry for any repetitions.

I'm sure somebody's thought of making project to recover a vehicle say if the driver is not skillful enough to drive in the terrain he's in and crashes.
List of possibilities: pushing, pulling, dragging, winching, crane?, towing, building a limited portion of road under a car to get it back on the road. (I have had to do this.) With eight people that takes about half a day with a small jack and chain to secure the vehicle, under rainy sandy conditions on a forty-five degree slope.

That's what I'm talking about... When we were done the road we made was stronger than the existing road. 8)
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:32 am

anything I could say...Bowser already did!

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
Agar

Postby Agar » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:52 am

I have had a hand in some of these evil schemes, so I'd like to take a moment to derail the conversation.

There are three main things to consider about vehicles.

1: Total Build Time
2: Speed
3: Capacity

What materials, engines and so forth that it uses is just fluff after those considerations. I've put most all that information into an excel spreadsheet to try and create a more balanced veiw on vehicles, to help put new vehicles in and keep the ones already in the game balanced.

What's being asked for is not just to not change anything about the current roads conditions, but to change vehicles entirely. People keep quoting that big pickups with big engines can go all over, THERE'S ONLY TWO ENGINES IN CANTR, AND THE BOTH HAVE THE SAME SPEED. A ford F250 with a fourbanger out of a nissan aint going anywhere.

How many different parts do you want vehicles to have? The overall frame, engine, tires, suspension, transmission, fuel source? We can seperate it all out, but that means more over all time as you have down time in between parts.

If you're asking, make up your mind what you're asking, and we'll make changes you want to see. Limos with offroad tires. Small Sportscar with Racing Slicks. Caddy with hydralics. Bus with built in oven and bed.

Just be careful what you wish for.
Reality was never my strong point.
Just A Bill

Postby Just A Bill » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:56 am

How about we hold off on this till weather gets implemented, then restrict the road used further in less than ideal conditions. Leave the current rules in place to represent a clear dry road/path. Most any motor vehicle should have no problem with a clean dry dirt(sand) road. If there was any significant rain or snow in the last couple days, that all changes. The roads could have discriptors added to them such as Wet, Washed Out, Light Snow, Heavy Snow, Ice, and travel for vehicles would be reduced based on type of vehicle. Also new vehicles could be introduced like the snowmobile that could only be used on snow.

I also was of the impression that the tractor was a farm type tractor, not a tractor trailor. I was hoping eventually to get attachments for them. Think mobile diggers, harvesters, ect...

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”