The option to spawn on 'new' islands

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Lumin

Postby Lumin » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:26 am

That would work too. Probably the most abuse-proof suggestion I've heard, actually.
El_Skwidd

Postby El_Skwidd » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:45 am

The island with Brunoi on it... I don't know what it's called... but there's a whole huge chunk of that place that's completely and totally uninhabited, mostly because there's no food. I had a newspawn get lost there and die.
Cdls wrote:Explaining Cantr to a newb would be like explaining sex to a virgin.

Let the world hear these words once more:
Save us, oh Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen!
Nick

Postby Nick » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:49 am

Genevieve wrote:Why not allow one character of the 15 the choice of spawning in an unpopulated or less-populated area? No guarantees of where, just not in one of the big towns.

What are the odds that all 15 will land in a big city?
Anthony Roberts

Postby Anthony Roberts » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:07 am

Overpopulation is a problem.

Considdering Cantr is text based game, you need to be able to read what's going on. A city with 30+ people has problems, but with a few 50+, that's an issue. You can't read the events page, and that's an obvious problem of overcrowding. It's like you all amass at a rock concert, and you're trying to hear your friend. You can't.
-- Anthony Roberts
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:35 am

Ditto. I don't mind the level of activity of bigger towns, but that many people in one spot just gets to be a jumbled noisy mess that I haven't learned to deal with. I'm much more comfortable with moving the business inside and carrying on regular conversation with 6 to 10 close friends. I guess in that case, Kwor could be my favorite town because of Firecam HQ. :D
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Nick

Postby Nick » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:36 am

Anthony Roberts wrote:Overpopulation is a problem.

Considdering Cantr is text based game, you need to be able to read what's going on. A city with 30+ people has problems, but with a few 50+, that's an issue. You can't read the events page, and that's an obvious problem of overcrowding. It's like you all amass at a rock concert, and you're trying to hear your friend. You can't.

People have buildings. Maybe they need to use them. When things become too loud in buildings and outside, then you're dealing with overpopulation.

IMO, Cantr society is at a pretty primitive state.
AoM

Postby AoM » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:19 am

But I know first hand that the main english speaking islands have explorers who have found other lands and are having newspawns pop-up in these new lands.

I believe that there will eventually be a trend towards a seafaring age of exploration and colonization.
west

Postby west » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:27 am

AoM wrote:But I know first hand that the main english speaking islands have explorers who have found other lands and are having newspawns pop-up in these new lands.

Quite a few, actually.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:05 pm

Exactly, AoM, and especially for that reason I'm seriously opposed to the original suggestion of this thread. Colonization is only recently really picking up - only the Germans have a real colony with a substantial town on an island that never had a real spawning location - and is a much cooler way of inhabiting those unexplored lands than just creating spawning locations. No further spawning locations will be created, except for the establishment of new language areas.

Overpopulation can be handled by using buildings etc. more extensively, and indeed by colonization. Sailing is far enough progressed by now.
Anthony Roberts

Postby Anthony Roberts » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:54 pm

Therefore, Jos has deemed this suggestion.

REJECTED.

As of now, I would ask that you no longer bicker and argue to get him to change his mind, as he won't.

:) Have a nice day :)
-- Anthony Roberts
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:06 pm

Colonists are still going to carry over their iron, social structure and culture, or at least what passes for culture in most communities. It's just going to be the exact same thing all over again.

But already been rejected, so whatever.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:10 pm

If there was massive spawning on these new islands, you know what would be shitty? These natives wouldn't know that they're supposed to be savages, no, they're spawned in the middle of nowhere, with no buildings or anything and they ask could I get a job? Or what are the local laws. Sheesh... Ok, these two newspawns we got in this pretty unknown location, the other one even said he'd like to have a shower. Argh! I just hate it that there are no real primitive cultures in Cantr, everyone is hunting iron before they've ever even seen it.
Not-so-sad panda
Anthony Roberts

Postby Anthony Roberts » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:28 pm

Anthony Roberts wrote:As of now, I would ask that you no longer bicker and argue to get him to change his mind, as he won't.
-- Anthony Roberts
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:05 pm

:(

I liked Genvieve's suggestion - that's kinda what I was aiming at - no specific choice - just the option to start a character in an unpoulated, undiscovered continent.

And I also agree about over population - I've had a character that travelled to look for a quiet place with few people around - it took her ages. I don't think exploration has advanced enough, or that there's enough drive to go and populate other areas. I know of at least one plan to colonise a new island, and, from what I hear, Burgeo is getting busier - but I'm not sure it's enough to start atracting newspawns?

I know the spawning algorithm is based on the numbers of characters in a location. How random is this? Because, if the populations in the main towns keep increasing, the populations on new, colonised, places will have to increase faster than the spawning locations to start attracting spawns. This seems unlikely, as many spawns are just one-off players who come and go over the space of a day or two, thus artificially boosting the spawning 'attraction' of the main areas...
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:38 pm

hallucinatingfarmer wrote:How random is this? Because, if the populations in the main towns keep increasing, the populations on new, colonised, places will have to increase faster than the spawning locations to start attracting spawns. This seems unlikely, as many spawns are just one-off players who come and go over the space of a day or two, thus artificially boosting the spawning 'attraction' of the main areas...

I'm slightly confused by your comments. The spawning system is totally random, proportional to the square root of the number of people in a location, as stated earlier. Colonizing cities can transport settlers, though, boosting the spawning rate as well. It's nonsense that small cities can never become big cities, including colonies - simply the history so far of city growth, since the introduction of the new spawning system, defies that theory. Sometimes large groups move; some towns act like attractors to all travellers passing by; sometimes towns are massacred.

I prefer if these things grow naturally rather than through tweaking the spawning system.

I also disagree that this creates the same societies everywhere, because:

1) colonies are actually very rare and a new type of government system - we have hardly any multi-location empires, colonization could be one way of getting those;
2) already so many towns are look-alikes - it doesn't seem that colonising-like actions are required for that.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”