Volume control for radios

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:06 am

Liljum wrote:
Sicofonte wrote:Specially ships with only one active crewmate, that has to be on deck if he wants the ship moving, but have to be on the cabin if he wants to hear the messages.

Acctually the ship doesn't stop if you go inside the cabin. But you still have to get outside to check your heading and make corrections after that.

Tested this. My ship didn't move overnight with its sole crewman in the cabin. I didn't think it did, as the received wisdom was that there had to be someone *on deck*.

Well, now i got of topic... I would like the notification to be so that you know from which radio reciver you get the message. If you should own several of those and they are set to different frekvenses.

Mayby like this...

Day 1918 Time: 7:0:18: You hear some noice comming from radio reciver tuned into frekvens 200

edited for presentation (BBCodes were screwed up)
Pieter de Groote

Postby Pieter de Groote » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:19 am

Not willing to man it?
Do not build it.

In my opinion we have one of the major shortcomings of Cantr here: it is way too rigid. There's no way to improvise, which kills creativity.

If a character builds something that proves impractical, like a radio, he/she starts thinking of improvements.

There are (at least) two major practical problems with the original radios:
1. The transmission range
The staff understood the range problem and solved it, by adding different types of radios. It would be much more fun if you could upgrade existing radios. “Let’s replace the wiring and put in some powerful parts. We might find a buyer for some old parts.” or “We found this radio, let’s take it apart and combine it with ours to build a stronger one”.

2. The hearing range of the speaker
For many characters, especially the sailors and the one-person companies, this renders them practically useless.
I am sure some characters would have built some metal/rubber waterproof casing, use some long wires so that the speaker can be put outside or invent a wireless headphone or whatever.

Writing this, I understand that for many such issues there's no easy or well performing solution available, but this rigidity means I stopped playing with most of my 'social active' characters. I only have some solitary travelers left.

To stay appealing in the long run Cantr should provide more challenging possibilities. The only part of the current game that could provide new challenges is social and political aspects. Both of which do not interest me that much anymore, and looking at the quality of role-play and social interaction, I think I’m not the only one.
DELGRAD

Postby DELGRAD » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:30 am

1: repeaters

2: I agree. A seperate machine. "Handset" exstension of radio. Requiring a very large amount of platinum wires and a very large amount of rubber to hold on to. Works only if manning it. Make platinum valuable.
Oh but wireless? Too far advanced for Cantr.

I rescind my "reject as DUPLICATE" only on "handset"

Pieter de Groote
I gut some things and use the parts in others and make them work.
An example.
My primary PC is dead. Power outage during bios flash. Bios dead.
Replace bios (soldered onboard) or replace board. No money for neither.

Yanked 160 GB HDD, 320 GB HDD and 128 MB video from dead rig. Yanked a 10/100 ethernet board from a second DOA rig. Also scavanged some ram from a DOA third rig and put it all together into one box with audio, 19" lcd and 6Meg broadband. I think all together 4 dead rigs,. and I made them work as one. I am not a tech guru. Just a normal guy. Did I mention I have the 450MHZ P3 overclocked to just under 600MHZ. Not bios either (you who know, know). A little toasty at first but put in a CPU fan and some case fans. BRRR.
YEA P3 sucks compared to 2.2GHZ AMD. I haven't a choice.

Yea a bit sluggish, but gets the job done just peachy.

Pieter de Groote, I know it is a pain in the ass making what we need, but reusing parts for other machines or upgrades... is not Cantr style.

I think I will soon see a suggestion on this. Just remember recycling has already been suggested. Go there people. Do not make new thread.

To stay appealing in the long run Cantr should provide more challenging possibilities. The only part of the current game that could provide new challenges is social and political aspects. Both of which do not interest me that much anymore, and looking at the quality of role-play and social interaction, I think I’m not the only one.

You only limit yourself.
Find another place that may need some help advancing themslves.
Science teacher: "good morning class"
students groan
Science teacher: "Today we will be learning about intelligent design"
Little Billy: "OH GOD"

First quoted in the NationStates forum on 10/14/05.

http://washingtonvil.myminicity.com
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:33 am

I honestly don't see why we don't have mobile recievers... if you just make it "whisper" the message to whoever's holding the thing... and of course make the thing a touch weighty (3-4 kilos?) and thus expensive to make... Oh! Or have it's frequency definable only at creation, so it becomes useless once you leave the area it was designed for.
Scratch and sniff text
shapukas

Postby shapukas » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:51 am

And why not cellphones? Evryone could have their own number and if you wanted to call someone then it would be like a projeckt finished only if you hangup or recipient picks up. Ten you could tallk in private. Ofcourse, there should be some organization that builds telephone towers and sells phones that work only in those areas. Dont know how to make it in game but it would be great. Cellphones shoudnt have to be 3kg, but those woude be solde only by tower owners and that you could use those phones only near those towers. How to coneckt phones and towers i dot cnow. Its just an idea.
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:46 am

I'm personally against "cellphone" technology popping up in Cantr (at least yet)... a much more natural progression that may also have further code uses would be running phone lines (much like railroads idea)... which honestly deserves its own thread, as it's off topic here.
Scratch and sniff text
Talapus

Postby Talapus » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:36 pm

From rereading the staff radio discussion, one of the next advancements is a hand held receiver/transceiver which would solve the problem of hearing radio transmissions outside. Much of the code is there, but some new code is also needed. The RD will get around to adding it once the ProgD has implemented that code.

As for volume controls, I don't think that is how we are going to address this issue. I am moving this to rejected. (Wichita will correct me if I am mistaken)

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”