I'm tired of suicidal newspawns

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Tue May 16, 2006 12:00 pm

I have a charracter Les Tyranno, later restyled himself as Lester T... He joined the rangers in DHS, left the Rangers, managed to steal a vehicle full of resources from Drojf then drove in a round about way to the Hills of the Gregorach, stealing on the way. He managed to persuade the MacGregors he was delivering the vehicle for the Rangers and then secretly stole from them. He made his way across the mountains, tried to 'go straight' in the mountatins by taking over a near empty town from the Stone Knights unfortunately people kept dying and sleepig, so he got bored of that and went to Pok. Frustrated that noone would buy his stolen merchandise he is now meandering his way towards Akypor...

I don't do pure evil or villainy well but I think as a petty thief he has done well!
R.I.P:
Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
Seeker

Postby Seeker » Tue May 16, 2006 12:15 pm

Phalynx wrote:I have a charracter Les Tyranno, later restyled himself as Lester T... He joined the rangers in DHS, left the Rangers, managed to steal a vehicle full of resources from Drojf then drove in a round about way to the Hills of the Gregorach, stealing on the way. He managed to persuade the MacGregors he was delivering the vehicle for the Rangers and then secretly stole from them. He made his way across the mountains, tried to 'go straight' in the mountatins by taking over a near empty town from the Stone Knights unfortunately people kept dying and sleepig, so he got bored of that and went to Pok. Frustrated that noone would buy his stolen merchandise he is now meandering his way towards Akypor...

I don't do pure evil or villainy well but I think as a petty thief he has done well!

Oh I know that character through notes on the ground stating the laws and customs of the area. It's interesting to know that the old leader of that town was a thief. Well, as a player I'm happy to know that Lester isn't coming back. It saves my character a lot of trouble.
WWFSMD?
BATBYGOBSTOPL!
Just A Bill

Postby Just A Bill » Wed May 17, 2006 3:53 am

What would be cool is if the slot that is locked until the 25th birthday would be occupied by "Ghost of CharacterName". You could look at the events that happen where your body is, but not do anything. It might give the player some sence of closure to see his murder avenged, or to here eulogies when he is buried. Or in some cases to see people spit on his corpse and curse him.

Of course this has no real in game purpose and opens up possible CR problems, but it would be interesting.
Marian

Postby Marian » Wed May 17, 2006 4:34 am

Just A Bill wrote:What would be cool is if the slot that is locked until the 25th birthday would be occupied by "Ghost of CharacterName". You could look at the events that happen where your body is, but not do anything. It might give the player some sence of closure to see his murder avenged, or to here eulogies when he is buried. Or in some cases to see people spit on his corpse and curse him.

Of course this has no real in game purpose and opens up possible CR problems, but it would be interesting.

That would be awesome. :D I've always wished I could see what happened after my chars died, even if it was just a few days.
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Wed May 17, 2006 7:08 am

Yeah that would be something else.... What a brilliant idea!
R.I.P:

Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
Seeker

Postby Seeker » Wed May 17, 2006 10:24 am

I like that. I've always been a bit interested in what happens after my characters die. Like is everyone going "Oh no...he died, we should totally build a big monument" or are they simply saying "Who was that" or "Oh, so that's where my hammer got to." Unfortunately, most of my character's would probably get the second response upon their deaths, but you never know...
WWFSMD?

BATBYGOBSTOPL!
fishfin

Postby fishfin » Wed May 17, 2006 10:25 am

what about if you stop seeing what is happining once you are burried?
The following statement is not true.

The previous statement is not true.
Seeker

Postby Seeker » Wed May 17, 2006 10:28 am

fishfin wrote:what about if you stop seeing what is happining once you are burried?

Even better. Give me some time now, it's my turn to come up with something completely brilliant next.
WWFSMD?

BATBYGOBSTOPL!
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Wed May 17, 2006 10:37 am

It's been suggested before (see thread about death of old age where a similar ghost suggestion was made) - Its also not likely to happen at all
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed May 17, 2006 11:42 am

Quite simply, make it possible to stop and drag people on the road if you have a group large enough. Make it possible to disable newspawn thieves quickly without killing them, and make it possible to take things away from them. It's only logical. I very much doubt that CRB groups would get a chance to abuse this since dragging someone from a road would require at least three people and it takes time to arrange even two of your characters in the same town. There could be an invisible trigger which reports the PD if more than two characters of one player are in the same town, to monitor these situations.

Even one newspawn thief is enough, since it's not just one player doing it, it's several (even though there are people who have done it numerous times - shitheads like that ought to get banned for good). If everyone had one newspawn thief, there'd be thousands of them. So if you get a character slot disabled, big deal since there's a million other people to try it. :twisted: The system is crooked, therefor it's abused. Tell ya what, implement pouches of grass, hide, fur, cloth and leather and make it impossible to carry more than a handfull of things without possessing a container. Make the resources wide spread enough for everyone with a bit of effort to manufacture a pouch like this. Or maybe it was only effective while travelling, while in town you could hold 15 kilos but on the road you'd need carry sacks or a hand cart or a vehicle. Add grass for every grassland location there is, add some sort of dry hay plant to hills with a smaller collection rate, the deserts and mountains will still be a bit screwed but big deal, people shouldn't naturally live in such places without equipment from outside.

End rant.
Not-so-sad panda
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Wed May 17, 2006 1:04 pm

Seko, that wasn't a rant! :D Far from it- it was a very well thought out argument which i had to inevitably agree with...

It's smart, but because of the current way the code is programmed, I strongly believe it's impossible and the ProgD are likely to say this is correct...

(not impossible, just hard to implement on the current system)
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Wed May 17, 2006 1:30 pm

None of these are impossible nor are they hard to implement.

The dragging on roads can be would be the easiest of these to implement - far from impossible - essentially a person who was being dragged would move at the speed of the group who were dragging in their direction - They'd all have to be in the same relative location on the road (which is smaller than the visible/normal interaction distance) so would be very difficult to coordinate - but thats an in-game problem.

The container suggestion also would be not difficult to implement but it's probably less likely to be accepted - The first is an extension of something already in the game, the second is a totally new game mechanic

Actually the easiest part of these suggestions would be to reallocate certain resources widely - That is the one thing which probably won't happen . Resource allocation is more or less fixed now and is unlikely to change (except for introduction of new resources and for a couple of
land types )

(Oh and who says there aren't invisible triggers on a lot of actions like dragging already ;) )
Ahoyhoy

Postby Ahoyhoy » Fri May 19, 2006 10:14 am

I still like my lock up a character slot until the character turns or would have turned 25 idea. And if someone dies in an unneglectful/non-suicidal way, I suppose they could always appeal it to the Cantr staff. I mean today alone i've seen two crazy newspawns. One hit two women, called em an obscene name and ran, and another took some stuff off the ground and ran. Suicidal newspawns are getting quite old and take away from the realism. I mean come on, would most reasonable people in real life risk their life for a bone shield? Unlikely. However in Cantr, if you don't like where you spawned it may actually be more reasonable to let a character die and make a new one rather than work with a character in a bad location.

Marian said it best in regards to what I hope this idea will accomplish when he/she said: "I might have made more of an effort to stick it out and RP them better if I wasn't able to turn around and make a new one right away." Which is all I ask for, people to actually give some thought into their characters so that more characters have "reason".
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Mon May 22, 2006 8:48 am

Dude! Are you listening/reading ANYTHING we are saying you YOU directly, here? NO? Then listen up for the last time!

A suicidal newspawn is a PLAYER!!! that spawns a character and doesn't like the location because it's crappy for some reason, (overpopulated, underpopulated, incorrect resources, a government established already, an army established already, etc).

This, however, is HARDLY a suicidal newspawn. In fact, it sounds somewhat like Jack the Ripper.. Heard of him? Or not.
This is far from suicidal newspawn...

Ahoyhoy wrote:One hit two women, called em an obscene name and ran, and another took some stuff off the ground and ran. Suicidal newspawns are getting quite old and take away from the realism.

Realism?!?!?!!?! Was Jack the Ripper fake or something?? This man obviously is going to hit women. Do you understand that? There is no denying it. He can't resist it. Would you prefer he hit them and stood still, just so your life is easier?
Sigh.
No, he's going to run in fear.

would most reasonable people in real life risk their life for a bone shield?

Reasonable people? Dude, these aren't reasonable people- THEY STEAL THE SHIELDS BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT REASONABLE!
They're not reasonable because of what they do! Okay?

And if you rephrased your question so it isn't so discriminatory, even then you are wrong- 'would people risk their life for a bone shield'
Understand one thing when you say this and refer to RL:
Cantr isn't designed to be like real life!!!

Tell me- how many people in real life ride round on motorbikes with steel sabres and loin cloths?
Tell me! And write down how many and reply to this topic with the number!

Edit: I'm not fricken ranting. I'm being sarcastic. :D Stop misinterpreting me, fools!!!!!!!!! :P 8)
Last edited by N-Aldwitch on Wed May 24, 2006 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:

"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon May 22, 2006 9:03 am

:roll: Do we really need to see such exaggerated ranting here? The fact is that some dickhead who doesn't even try to play realistic because they don't like the place they were spawned in is a poor roleplayer and in my opinion, committing a CRB since the character has no innate reason to act that way.

Your example is completely off topic and void. How many people go stealing loinclothes in real life? None alright. But how many people in real life go shoplifting, even if they could afford the things? Pretty many. If they got caught and the guards were shooting their ass then this poor sod would collapse in a heap on the ground, shitting his pants and crying his eyes out, begging for mercy. That's real life for ya. Now real life police or guards don't have to act that way since they have means of restraining people, handcuffs et cetera.

The solution here should go to prevent this kind of mindless behaviour instead of stopping one time offenders from repeating their stunt.

I think the reason for ranting is that you yourself tried it, tried to be so cool and imagined you were roleplaying, when in fact you were just being a pest. Grow up!
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”