I'm tired of suicidal newspawns

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Solfius

Postby Solfius » Wed May 24, 2006 11:12 am

N-Aldwitch wrote:Give me three examples of where I INTENDED to insult you and I'll point out three of the examples as sarcasm.

Quote them too please.

You can't prove intention, but intention is irrelevant to a person's intepretation of what you said, which can make it difficult to not sound like you're insulting someone, but the responsibility does remain with you and not the reader.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Wed May 24, 2006 11:31 am

Well I can walk away from this forum knowing full well I never meant to insult him, nor anyone, and I in fact avoided a flame war which he continued, and I can also walk away knowing his stubbornness (which is truth, not insultation), will blind him to my sarcasm.
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Wed May 24, 2006 11:44 am

SekoETC wrote:I think the reason for ranting is that you yourself tried it, tried to be so cool and imagined you were roleplaying, when in fact you were just being a pest. Grow up!

Seko. I want you to reread my post. Reread it with, in mind, the fact that I was being completely sarcastic and joking the entire time and never meant/intended to offend anyone or rant. I used big numbers and letters jokingly, too... :P Hope you can see this. :? :)

(Sorry for the off-topic-ness, just needed to clear some things up, I'm not that evil a person!!)

"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Wed May 24, 2006 2:35 pm

Depending on age, the word "Dude" which you used Altwich can be taken as an insult. One example is enough.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Wed May 24, 2006 5:41 pm

N-Aldwitch wrote:Well I can walk away from this forum knowing full well I never meant to insult him, nor anyone, and I in fact avoided a flame war which he continued, and I can also walk away knowing his stubbornness (which is truth, not insultation), will blind him to my sarcasm.

stubbornness is an opinion, but other than that, sure, you can do all of that
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed May 24, 2006 5:49 pm

...I'm no good noticing sarcasm unless it comes from myself.
Not-so-sad panda
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Wed May 24, 2006 6:42 pm

Back on topic.............I LOVE this idea!

I don't care if it's two years, or five years, though I do have an opinion on it, of course. Two might be more reasonable, since many early deaths are NOT from suicidal newspawns, and two years is still over a month real time - enough to give pause to those who are only seeking a new location.

And I agree with Marian 100% - reason for death does not matter. No appeals to the PD!!!!! You die before 25 (or 22), you wait, no questions, no appeals, no exceptions. :P

*starts to get all giddy, looking to ProgD or Jos or someone to move to accepted, then implemented*
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Thu May 25, 2006 8:00 am

I recall someone, can't put a name to the quote, but they said once they enjoyed making afternoon suicidal newspawn characters, just to see how far they could run... :P And it was a fairly popular board member, too!!

Ahoyhoy

Postby Ahoyhoy » Thu May 25, 2006 3:08 pm

So....is this idea going to be accepted?
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Thu May 25, 2006 3:39 pm

It seems to have been moved to that section, so my guess is yes. :)
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Thu May 25, 2006 3:40 pm

Yes .. moved to Accepted Suggestions

Implementation will be based on closing that particular slot for 2 Cantr years (40 rl days) for any death of chars under 25 .
Marian

Postby Marian » Thu May 25, 2006 3:42 pm

Accepted! :shock: Woooo! You guys are awesome! :D I had this pegged for one of those 'too good to ever be implemented' things.

And somebody give Ahoyhoy a cookie. :)
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Thu May 25, 2006 3:47 pm

*bakes him a huge batch of chocolate chip ones, and a batch for Chris, too*
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Thu May 25, 2006 4:57 pm

I hate this
hate it
hate it
hate it
hate it

really really hate it.

Ok, so, my boredom-relieving 'see what I can get away with stealing and running' is a no-no. I don't see the harm in that - if you're in charge of a town, you should keep the things you want safe - safe...

But, are we now saying that new players will be penalised for not understanding that things on the ground aren't freely available, and getting killed as a 'thief' (a common misunderstanding, as in most games, things available to pick up are free-for-all)

That you daren't become a member of an armed force - whether 'good' or 'bad'? No pirating until you're 25? No waging of war until you're 25? Can't even become a town guard until you're 25?

Waging war is already bloody difficult - made worse by the need to have really alert and active players. If a player has a character under 25, they may well be needed for a fight if they are an active player.

I really hope it doesn't include animal deaths? Penalising people for spawning on Burgeo?

25 - that's five Cantr years - 100 real life days - are you seriously suggesting that you'd penalise a player for having a character death in the first 100 days they play a character?

If this is a must - make it only for the first Cantr year, at the most until the character is 22.

All this will do is produce a breed of under-25s who are shit-scared to do anything but 'be nice and have some happy RP'

There's too much niceness and, plainly, boring RP at the moment - Cantr needs players prepared to shake things up a bit, even if it's just to be annoying and steal things, or pirate towns - not something that will just produce more sickly-sweat RP.
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Thu May 25, 2006 5:04 pm

This has now been implemented

Character slots are closed for 40 days ( 2 cantr years) from the death of a person under 25 regardless of death cause.

Personally I agree with a lot of what HF says - I don't see this as an effective method for dealing with suicidal newspawns . But it seems that it's what a lot of people want

As this is now in implemented suggestions it may be best to keep the debate about the issues in General discussions

It is parameter driven so the maximum age and lock time can easily be reset to other values

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”