I'm tired of suicidal newspawns

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Hellzon

Postby Hellzon » Mon May 22, 2006 10:05 am

Seko makes a good point (several ones, even). Being able to restrain thieves even on the road would probably solve a lot.

And for the record, I don't like the "waiting period after you die" suggestion. Just trying to temper the "100 days" suggestions. Now dragging on the road - THAT I like. :)

/Hellzon - [/blather]
[21:35] Sunni: no peeing on people in chat!
Marian

Postby Marian » Mon May 22, 2006 10:47 am

N-Aldwitch wrote:Dude! Are you listening/reading ANYTHING we are saying you YOU directly, here?

LOL! Right back at you. Once again you seem to be ignoring the entire point of this thread so you can go off on your own little off topic rant.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Mon May 22, 2006 11:27 am

N-Aldwitch wrote:Cantr isn't designed to be like real life!!!

Actually,
Wiki wrote:Cantr II is set in a fairly realistic world.

Granted, "The technology level is strange ", but in general the game is deisigned as close to real life as possible without losing game balance and playability.
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Mon May 22, 2006 1:38 pm

N-Aldwitch is mostly talking testicles, but there is a nuggett of something valid in there...

If someone chooses to make their character obnoxious and RPs it well, they might end up dead and causing all kinds on trouble... That I can accept and think adds to the flavour of life and is slightly different to steal, hit and run without a word...

The point being RP involves some form of play... If you emote something and then respond to people I believe ... Someone in the CRB thread here was moaning about a character who stayed quiet then opportunistically stole everything that wasn't tied down and then made off in a boat... Schme was trying to argue that was CRB ..

Ok my point is suicide with a reason IG (eg wronged, losing a partner etc) could be good role play, and theft where the rewards justify the risk is similarly good role play... I think in those situations its not CRB, which is partly why I suggested the PD need to make a jusdgment at times...

Suicide, by self harm, unprovoked violence or theft, by a newspan that has said or done nothing surely must be CRB and the player should be sanctionned, surely?

If you want to play a 'mad' person I want to see something develop observably over days not :
Man in his twenties says: *foams at the mouth*
followed by hitting everyone.

Mind due its worht remembering that not every 'man in his twenties' is a newspawn by any means...
R.I.P:
Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon May 22, 2006 4:07 pm

Yeah, there was one like that in Flonder, you could see he was mad but no one tried to help him. Then someone dried to kill him and he flipped and killed an innocent girl, which happened to be my character's friend. Sad but realistic, afterwards I felt like "I should've known it would happen!" But all these kids coming totally out of the blue doing something mindless - that sucks.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon May 22, 2006 4:51 pm

If a player feels that their slot is unjustly locked up due to premature death, then they can just appeal to the Players Department to get it freed up. Easy, and not worth arguing about.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Marian

Postby Marian » Mon May 22, 2006 4:57 pm

Phalynx wrote:If someone chooses to make their character obnoxious and RPs it well, they might end up dead and causing all kinds on trouble... That I can accept and think adds to the flavour of life and is slightly different to steal, hit and run without a word...

I think most people know that there's a difference between a suicidal and non-suicidal newspawn, even if it's not always visible to other players. I don't think anyone's arguing against that, but the point is that that's not even what the suggestion was about, even though people keep trying to drag the thread off into an argument about it.

From the original post:
I think a 5 year rule should be implemented. The 5 year rule consists of this....after you create your character, that character slot is occupied for at least 5 years. So let's say you have 15 characters and you just created a character and don't like where that character spawned, well too bad, you either have to let that character die and wait till the character would have turned 25, or actually play the character till his 25th birthday. Also, let's say you have 10 characters and you have had 5 characters die and none of them would have lived to be 25 at that point in time, well the player has to wait until one or more of their dead characters would have turned 25 in order to make a new character.

Even if the example in the paragraph above it was about a suicidal char, there is nothing in Ahoyhoy's actual suggestion that would make it matter whether a char was suicidal or just a well-RPed jerk or moron.

Doug R. wrote: If a player feels that their slot is unjustly locked up due to premature death, then they can just appeal to the Players Department to get it freed up. Easy, and not worth arguing about.

And again, it shouldn't matter how the char died. One of the benefits of slots automatically locking would be that it would make less work for the PD, not more. Less suicidal newspawns means less CRB reports so the PD can focus on more important things, (even if there would still be some, up to the point where the idiot player fills up their slots or gets fed up and decides to either quit or live with the place they've spawned).

If their was a way to appeal it, everybody would insist their char was 'unjustly' killed and create even more of a headache.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Mon May 22, 2006 7:04 pm

I think the main benfit of a 5 year lock would be to increase the value placed on individual characters in terms of life and death.

There was a quote I was looking for where someone important (I thought it was Jos) commented on how little regard for the lives of characters players have because they can replace them as soon as they die.

I think players are more inclined to let their characters die, if they are for example in jail, than try and get released or escape. This would be particularly true of younger characters who have nothing to lose

That's why I feel a 5 year character slot lock would be beneficial, as it gives an incentive to stay alive and hopefully will give characters a stronger survival instinct
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Mon May 22, 2006 7:21 pm

Solfius wrote:I think the main benfit of a 5 year lock would be to increase the value placed on individual characters in terms of life and death.

That's why I feel a 5 year character slot lock would be beneficial, as it gives an incentive to stay alive and hopefully will give characters a stronger survival instinct

Agreed, you wouldn't give up one of your slots for a bone shield then for example..
R.I.P:

Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
Just A Bill

Postby Just A Bill » Tue May 23, 2006 3:12 am

Guys, I think the punishment is being blown way out of porportion, so you have a newspawn that dies. Now you can only play 14 characters for the next 100 days, big deal. The only people who will really be hurt by this are those who make suicidal newspawns over and over, and even they will be able to average a suicidal newspawn 6 days (every 100days they will be able to kill 15 newspawns)
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Tue May 23, 2006 7:47 am

Marian wrote:
N-Aldwitch wrote:Dude! Are you listening/reading ANYTHING we are saying you YOU directly, here?

LOL! Right back at you. Once again you seem to be ignoring the entire point of this thread so you can go off on your own little off topic rant.

Hehehe true but by saying that YOU are going off topic in another rant!!! :P

Anyway, guys, one thing I guess you have to learn is my personality differs greatly from the general wave of forum-personality. (which means, the personality in which differs from the participant/person's RL personality)

Respectively, I do not disagree with this idea.

What I am doing though, is being the Devil's advocate and simply bringing up all the points that are against this idea.
Discussion.
Rather than the I like it. I like it too. Ditto. Ditto on ditto. ETC! :P :D

While sometimes it looks like I'm cranky, I'm generally not, and that last post was made at midnight in my country after watching a bad movie... That really makes it look like there's a carrot in my arse! :lol:

Anyway, back on topic (again!),
There is no real issue against this idea, to tell the truth. I'm trying to think of reasons against it, but in the lead up from Marian's post to this post now, I've read over the posts and agree moreso than before.

Like I said though, it's a bit annoying when you WANT 15 characters, you spawn two and they're killed from animal attacks or from random pirates attacking your town.

But this was solution(ized)(making up my own words, hehe... you get the gist), simply by sending a message to the Players Department.

Can anyone think of any reason AGAINST this idea?
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
Ahoyhoy

Postby Ahoyhoy » Tue May 23, 2006 11:50 am

Your debate skills need some work N-Aldwitch.

I find you rude.

I don't like rude people.

Therefore I don't like you and I don't talk to those I don't like.
nateflory

Postby nateflory » Tue May 23, 2006 12:50 pm

Ahoyhoy wrote:I don't like rude people.

No one likes rude people, and I rather liek the "discussion that is generated when folks play Devils Advocate...otherwise the forums become yet another Dolls Teaparty.

But I digress.

I like this suggestion, but perhaps not for a 5-year lockout. A somewhat shorter (details always up for debate and finalized by ProgD) lockout period would give a bit of "value" to a character, even if they were meant as a spawn-and-run suicide thief.
When I began playing, I quickly filled up all 15 of my slots, got borted with a few characters, killed them off, filled the slots almsot immediately, got bored...lather, rinse, repeat. Then my wife tried to make a few characters since her initial registration was denied (too similar to mine I guess) and eventually I contacted PD to remove those extra characters since she stopped playing.
As I got more settled into the game, I have 4 really fun characters and two that are useful, but very quiet. I check them everyday to help the town's repair projects, pick resources, etc. The rest are dying off or going through the motions until they find some fun.

If there were lockout periods, my initial flurry of characters would have meant more to me, and I would be less apt to "just make as many as possible and learn this game". Those extra "filler" characters would have been roleplayed like my currently active ones are, since I knew if they died I would not be able to replace them any time soon. This can only help the Roleplay aspect of the game. And with 15 character slots to fill, evne the most obsessed folks can keep running their suicide characters if they spread them out over time. "Cantr is a low-paced game" after all...
---------------------------------
"Nature may reach the same result in many ways." - Nikola Tesla
"Dare to be naïve". - "Unity is plural and, at minimum, is two." - Bucky Fuller
Ahoyhoy

Postby Ahoyhoy » Tue May 23, 2006 12:57 pm

nateflory wrote:No one likes rude people, and I rather liek the "discussion that is generated when folks play Devils Advocate...otherwise the forums become yet another Dolls Teaparty.

I like the discussion, I don't like it when it sounds like someone is trying to insult me.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Wed May 24, 2006 10:03 am

Give me three examples of where I INTENDED to insult you and I'll point out three of the examples as sarcasm.

Quote them too please.
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:

"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”