I'm tired of suicidal newspawns

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Ahoyhoy

I'm tired of suicidal newspawns

Postby Ahoyhoy » Sun May 14, 2006 2:54 am

Sometimes they WANT to die and they do anything to do so.

On the trail from Quillanoi Forest North to Hills of Hilloi South for example, there is this newspawn who I have told to turn around because he stole many things, but has refused and has welcomed death.

Now it's one thing if you try to take objects in an actual planned heist, it's another thing if you take objects in the hopes of dying.

I think a 5 year rule should be implemented. The 5 year rule consists of this....after you create your character, that character slot is occupied for at least 5 years. So let's say you have 15 characters and you just created a character and don't like where that character spawned, well too bad, you either have to let that character die and wait till the character would have turned 25, or actually play the character till his 25th birthday. Also, let's say you have 10 characters and you have had 5 characters die and none of them would have lived to be 25 at that point in time, well the player has to wait until one or more of their dead characters would have turned 25 in order to make a new character.

Good suggestion?
Sho

Postby Sho » Sun May 14, 2006 3:04 am

Not new: http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8281

But I do agree that something should be done, and I think this is the right way to do it.
Ahoyhoy

Postby Ahoyhoy » Sun May 14, 2006 3:06 am

Ah but it is new, I suggested the 5 year preliminary period per character. Noone has done so yet.
Sho

Postby Sho » Sun May 14, 2006 3:47 am

It's the same as Echoman's original suggestion in that thread, except he doesn't specifically say 5 years, but rather "at least a bit longer than 1 year."

Details, details - doesn't matter either way. The general idea of the suggestion is the same. About time it got a bump, too, so it's all good.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Sun May 14, 2006 6:22 am

Ahoyhoy- cry more, it's my character and you've now officially broken the 4-day rule.

And he is RP'd, except perhaps not the best of my characters. He isn't a suicidal newspawn, he wanted to test death and thought the best way to test this was to take objects without injuring people...

Actually if you knew his name it would make ALOT of RP sense.

Overall, don't just assume every suicidal newspawn is a noob player.

I personally think a lot of noob players would have turned around by now.
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Sun May 14, 2006 6:25 am

As for the suggestion itself,

I agree. But there are many cases where it is not the player's fault- some players are really outgoing and most of their characters are involved in wars, armies, etc.

And the remaining few that aren't could be killed from starvation, unfair imprisonment or random raids.
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:

"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Sun May 14, 2006 6:44 am

Whatever dubious reasons you are now suggesting for your char's behaviour, ..testing death? .... you should be banned from creating a new char for 5 years or life preferably.
fishfin

Postby fishfin » Sun May 14, 2006 7:41 am

I once had a "suicidal newspawn" who broke only the rules because the wording of the laws in that location was so unclear (the law that he broke was about building houses).
The following statement is not true.

The previous statement is not true.
deadboy

Postby deadboy » Sun May 14, 2006 7:47 am

I agree with this. But not for 5 years, if you lose a character, say they don't bring enough food whilst sailing, or go off to war, or even in a pirate attack, I don't want to have to wait 5 years before making a new one. 1 year perhaps would be ok, and would put off suicidal newspawns.
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we" - George W. Bush
Hellzon

Postby Hellzon » Sun May 14, 2006 11:32 am

My one cent:

5 years is too long. Do realize it's 100 RL days, or 3 months to put it in a better perspective. And as N-Aldwitch said, many die because the were just spawned in a bad neighbourhood (on a mountain, perhaps). Not fair to make them wait 3 months.

1 year is too short. It takes that long to starve one character to death (and whatever the rules say, I'm not going to rat one someone who wants to die if he does it without messing anyone else up). So if you happened grab food for one day, suicidal grab-and-running is still faster.

So... 2 IG years? Shouldn't mess with anyone who doesn't kill many of his characters willingly.

Ahoyhoy- cry more, it's my character and you've now officially broken the 4-day rule.

Isn't the official line that the 4-day rule doesn't apply when reporting CRB:s? We can't read you mind, so if you act like any other suicidal newspawn out there, well... ;)

/Hellzon - not on PD
[21:35] Sunni: no peeing on people in chat!
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Sun May 14, 2006 11:42 am

There's a difference between suicidal newspawns and spawn and run thieves.

Some people try to get their newspawn killed because they don't like where they spawned.

Others spawn a character, just to see how far they can get by stealing and running. I do that. yes I know it pisses people off - but you should keep things you don't want nicked properly locked up. I can tell you I'm generally very unsuccessful, but I've had at least one spawn and run thief who's have gone from having nothing, to having a good weapon, a good shield, a vehicle and a stockpile of various precious resources - and survived. Some people steal in real life to improve their wealth, why shouldn't that happen in Cantr.

Don't assume that just because a new span stole stuff and ran that they are suicidal, they may well just be trying their luck.
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Agar

Postby Agar » Sun May 14, 2006 12:51 pm

http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3441

Read that thread to see what a suicidal newspawn is and how to report them.

As with all CRB's the four day rule DOESN'T APPLY, the four day rule is regarding legitimate in game events that don't break the CRB. For example, Going "Yay! The blackrocks are all off the K isle! We kicked thier panites!" when the event is only a few hours old would break the 4 day rule. Reporting that someone just spawned in a town, slapped every single person, even the ones that came out of the buildings in the middle of the event, yelled "TAG", and then stole some stone and ran away, all within a few moments would NOT BE A CRB, because the characters actions may likely be a CRB and need to be investigted by PD to determine if they're trying to get a character killed off for OOC reasons or if it's just HF pissing people off again.

Is that clear now?
Reality was never my strong point.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Sun May 14, 2006 1:44 pm

Hellzon wrote:My one cent:

5 years is too long. Do realize it's 100 RL days, or 3 months to put it in a better perspective. And as N-Aldwitch said, many die because the were just spawned in a bad neighbourhood (on a mountain, perhaps). Not fair to make them wait 3 months.

5 years wouldn't just provide a disincentive to suicidal newspawns, but an incentive for keeping characters alive as well. Would you take any chances with your characters if you knew you'd have to wait 100 days to replace them?

Don't forget, it's 5 years from the day of spawn, not death, so there's no penalties if your 25 year old dies by "natural" causes, natural in the sense of animals, pirate attacks, etc.
Ahoyhoy

Postby Ahoyhoy » Sun May 14, 2006 3:14 pm

I don't wish to report the guy for being suicidal because that wouldn't effectively handle anything. I wish to fix the problem itself. We'll always have suicidal newspawns, heck I was one myself when I first started playing. Rather than threaten to kick them out of the game for being suicidal, we should merely just discourage them with this 5 year rule.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Sun May 14, 2006 3:52 pm

So Ahoyahoy you were a suicidal spawn to begin with? - would you have come back to play a game where you'd been automatically banned from playing for 100 days in the first few days of playing ? I'd rather keep potential players in the game - My first character almost died - I had no idea these potatoes belonged to someone else - I'm not sure I would have returned to the game if he had been killed and I had to wait 100 days - actually I'm very sure I wouldn't have returned at all.

IMHO the number of suicidal newspawns seem's to have declined dramatically - maybe they aren't being reported but I also notice it in game, - my more sadistic character is really missing the chase and the excuse to hurt people. We have a system to deal with these which works well - both in-game and ooc . I don't see any further requirement for
automatic bannings

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”