yes
91%
no
9%

Total votes: 212
nova hero

Re: Natural Healing

Postby nova hero » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:19 pm

0-20% damage, 1 pc. natural healing per day 20-40% 2 pc. healing, 40-60% no change unaided, 60-80% 1pc. increase damage per day, 80-99% 2pc. increase damage? natural healing would take away some need for healing foods, but bleeding to death would make having or getting it rather vital. also we'd have a new cause of death, dying by trauma or bleeding to death, and, would get to role dying
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:20 pm

Welcome nova hero. What is pc in your post?
My old banner ;)
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:22 pm

Oh, pc. means percent? For a moment I was like huh, what's pc.? Although you have an error there, I think, it says you heal faster if you are wounded over 20%, I think it would make more sense if you healed faster with small wounds than moderate wounds.

So no hunger, no tiredness, no critical wounds = natural healing?
Not-so-sad panda
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:24 pm

I'd have to agree with Seko. The values need to be reversed. I heal from a scratch better than a large cut.
My old banner ;)
nova hero

Postby nova hero » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:20 pm

yes, it means percent - i'm trying to type on my phone, hence the odd grammatical oddity, and the mistake in values. it should be symmetrical, least damage, better rate of healing, worst damage, faster 'death rate'.
Miri

Postby Miri » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:01 pm

That makes sense *nods*

By symetrical you mean something like this? :

damage - bare effect - {effect with maxed modificators}
0-19 - +2% health a day - {+5%}
20-39 - +1% health a day - {+4%}
40-59 - no effect - {+3%}
60-79 - -1% health a day - {+2%}
80-99 - -2% health a day - {+1%}

I think those numbers should be about right for base ones, and I think all the other circumstances should rather add than multiply the effect (would be easier that way)

Modificators:

tiredness: +(1-tired)% to health change rate; max is 1% for 0% tiredness
hunger: +(1-hungry)% to health change rate; max is 1% for 0% hunger
resting: +(restingvalue/1250)% to heath change rate, 1250 being current maximum of furniture's resting value; max is 1% for resting in bed.

How does it sounds? It shouldn't be too hard to implement, wouldn't it?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:11 pm

Would that mean that someone who wasn't hungry or tired wasn't gaining any more damage but wasn't healing either, and someone who had less than 20 damage and wasn't tired or hungry would heal 4% a day (2% + 1% + 1%)? I think if someone was considerably hungry, it should lower their healing rate (although not make it negative).
Not-so-sad panda
Miri

Postby Miri » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:23 pm

Good point.

The simplest way of modificating the above scheme would be changing the tiredness and hunger modificators formulas by adding -0.5 to each of them, and thus changing their ranges from [0 , 1] to [-0.5 , 0.5]. Although that would cause a further drop into negatives for heavily injured people if they were over 50% hungry, over 50% tired and not resting... although I'm not sure if I made it out right.

Another thing - how should a healing like that be processed? Every-hour ticks would be a strain for the server, I'm afraid, with this being calculated for all characters. I think a once-per-day tick should do well enough, just like the eating one does.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:13 pm

If excess energy was transformed into health it could be calculated together with the regular tiredness reduction.

I also don't see why regeneration should depend on your actual health. If you're down to 15% health your are screwed enough already. Besides, severe wounds are pretty rare in comparison to the usual scratches and bruises, which would mean that the effective healing rate would usually be on the higher end of the spectrum. I would leave the regeneration rate independent from current health.
Pretty in pink.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:23 pm

Maybe a reduction by half for critical injures past say 80-80%.
My old banner ;)
Tincho

Postby Tincho » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:40 pm

A severely injured character should not heal naturally. He could heal naturally from serious injury if have any object ("bandage") equipped or in his inventory.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:10 pm

I feel this is getting too complicated. Why bother with bandages to allow natural healing if a bag of onions could do the same?

I understand that bleeding/slower regeneration if wounded seems appealing from a RL perspective, but I don't see it advancing the game. It seems pretty pointless to offer natural healing only (or with the strongest effect) to those who don't need it. Severe wounds would have to be treated like usual, while little scratches could be safely ignored.
Pretty in pink.
Tincho

Postby Tincho » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:17 pm

Natural healing is going to be important if the stomach thing is implemented. In this case, a character would take several days to heal from a serious injury because he could not eat enough medicine in a single round. With the help of natural healing, a character would be healed in less time.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:12 am

With natural healing, someone can heal completely without having to eat anything at all. Instead of damage just being added and never leaving. Good to develop in new areas with lots of animals and sometimes no healing food. Healing foods would serve a use WHEN you are severely injured.
My old banner ;)
Miri

Postby Miri » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:48 am

Piscator wrote:Severe wounds would have to be treated like usual, while little scratches could be safely ignored.

just like IRL, ne? :roll:

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”