Melting down old keys

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Amlin

Postby Amlin » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:02 am

I spend some time in reading a lot of locksmithing and etc, so i wish to say that it is nearly impossible to make "blank key" from used key. The only possibility to do so is smelting old key, add lacking metal and make new blank key. Because some metal is filed off from blank key while making new key shape.
About this suggestion at all: I dislike idea of smelting old keys, but i like a lot idea about making locks matching key. If its not too hard to implement, i would like to see two lock making projects. One isnt requiring key, like current, and second cheaper a bit (by 10 g of iron), but requires key ;) Simple, isnt? I like a lot idea about master key ;)

Amlin
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:04 am

wichita wrote:ProgD can correct me if I am guessing wrong here, but I think the technical issue that is keeping RD from being able to implement melting keys will prevent the addition of this key blank idea too.

If a key is recognized as a key (rather than key #999999) then we can go ahead with adding meltdown, no problem, we're all happy and about 100 metric tons of iron is released into the collective Cantr economy again.

There is no technical issue effecting melting keys down for iron

A key is a key is a key is an object like any other :) ... regardless of which lock it fits. The way in which it is displayed in an inventory adds the lock code , but it can be generically identified.

Machine based projects can have objects as requirements - there is no problem with this (though none have) - the only technical issue is that the output of machine based projects can only be a raw resource - not a problem at at all in this case where raw iron is the output.

It does create problems for when project cancellation is implemented, as the original key would be destroyed when added to the project (not on completion)

Of course we'll have to look at removing the free vehicle locks for all non-metal boats if this was implemented , as it would be a method of creating iron out of wood .. It's not always technical issues which hold back implementation.

EDIT Oh and its not metric tons it's around 20 kilos
Talapus

Postby Talapus » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:32 am

Chris Johnson wrote:Oh and its not metric tons it's around 20 kilos

20 kilos would only be 2000 keys. There must be more keys then that in the game, otherwise I would own over 2% of all the keys in the entire game. I like the idea of being able to build a lock with a specific key number. Melting down keys has too many problems associated with it for such little gain, that it isn't a priority for me, and I would be quite content if it were never implemented.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:55 am

That's the number of keys with no lock
Okud

Postby Okud » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:47 am

a man in his thirties: How much for that hemp tunic?
a woman in her twenties: That would be two keys, sir.
a man in his thirties: huh?

tee-hee
Reality is that which when you stop believing in it does not go away. (Philip K. Dick)
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:13 am

Chris Johnson wrote:
Of course we'll have to look at removing the free vehicle locks for all non-metal boats if this was implemented , as it would be a method of creating iron out of wood .. It's not always technical issues which hold back implementation.

Hell time to get boat building quick!
R.I.P:
Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
fishfin

Postby fishfin » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:24 am

some one mentioned master keys which I like and i'm wondering if it would be a good idea to make locks that except multiple keys. Like in RL hotels give you the key to your room (which only works in your room) but they have a master key that works on all the doors (at least some do)
The following statement is not true.

The previous statement is not true.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:02 pm

fishfin wrote:some one mentioned master keys which I like and i'm wondering if it would be a good idea to make locks that except multiple keys. Like in RL hotels give you the key to your room (which only works in your room) but they have a master key that works on all the doors (at least some do)

Whilst not the same thing, combination locks have long been an accepted suggestion but are awaiting ProgD
Hellzon

Postby Hellzon » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:51 pm

Chris Johnson wrote:the only technical issue is that the output of machine based projects can only be a raw resource

Out of curiosity, what about coin presses? Or are they special? ;)

/Hellzon - n00b
[21:35] Sunni: no peeing on people in chat!
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:20 pm

They are indeed very special as are coins - They have their own project type (and code) and are not strictly speaking a machine based project
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:17 am

Phalynx wrote:
Chris Johnson wrote:

Is the 10g gained from building a boat really worth worrying about? If you lose 1g in processing, which is very reasonable, then you'd have to make 2 boats to get enough iron for one key, which they'd need a file to do anything with anyway. A massive undertaking, and hardly worth the effort. Is anyone going to spend 10 years boat building to get enough iron for a building lock and a screwdriver?
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:50 am

Doug R. wrote:
Phalynx wrote:
Chris Johnson wrote:

Is the 10g gained from building a boat really worth worrying about? If you lose 1g in processing, which is very reasonable, then you'd have to make 2 boats to get enough iron for one key, which they'd need a file to do anything with anyway. A massive undertaking, and hardly worth the effort. Is anyone going to spend 10 years boat building to get enough iron for a building lock and a screwdriver?

Yes. Yes they would. The answer to your question is yes.

I really think that it would be worth adding it. The whole free iron exploit will be minor as pointed out by Doug.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:33 am

It's more a case of building your boat before the change comes into affect.. a boat without a lock is pointless, and a number of my charracters can't get iron or the tools to make a lock for their boat...
R.I.P:

Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:44 am

Phalynx wrote:It's more a case of building your boat before the change comes into affect.. a boat without a lock is pointless, and a number of my charracters can't get iron or the tools to make a lock for their boat...

Which would be a CRB :wink:
Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:41 pm

I still really like this plan. It dosn't really matter whether you know if the key has a working lock or not, it is your own damn fault if you destroy a needed key.
RAM DISK is not an installation procedure!

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”