Melting down old keys

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:50 pm

Chris Johnson wrote:
Which would be a CRB :wink:

Well my projects were all started before you made your comment, I'd like to see you stop all new boat buuilding projects until it was implemented though...

Yeah I though not!
R.I.P:
Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
Amlin

Postby Amlin » Tue May 02, 2006 12:41 pm

I still dislike the idea of smelting keys... Better make it reusable ;)
I hope it is easy to implement making locks based on keys...
johntsai

Postby johntsai » Mon May 29, 2006 6:18 am

Kind of an off shot idea from smelting keys...

one of the concern about this is/was people might take advantage of the free vehicle lock, especially for the wooden boats and all? What about just make 'metal' a requirement on all vehicle? The only difference is, allow different type of metal to be use. (I don't know how easily this can be done, as I'm just throwing ideas out there) Instead of must use 'iron', allows different type of metal to be use. To go along with that, the standard 'iron lock' will still take 1 day to break (like right now), while other type of metal such as copper, nickle will not be as strong..... so this way, when you smelt the key you'll still get the basic metal out of it.

And to continue on, what about the lock that have been broken off? shouldn't they also be able to be smelt down to their basic metal as well?

I hope it makes some sense to people....
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Mon May 29, 2006 7:42 am

The more I thought about this the more ridiculous it became... ]

If metling down keys means no 'free' vehicle locks, that means no vehicles will get made - specifically boats, some of which require no iron and are increddibly difficult to get back...
IMHO
R.I.P:

Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
johntsai

Postby johntsai » Mon May 29, 2006 9:14 am

hence if we can make it so that any metal can be use to the vehicles (boats, bikes...etc)..... the problem where people can melt key to get iron from wood only boats can be avoid?
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Mon May 29, 2006 9:48 am

Hmm... it raises some issues, but so long as a crow-bar wielding elder is nearby it should be fine.

Also, I reckon doors need to say what key they accept... Rather than running in and out of every building checking for which keys go in which.
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
Liljum

Postby Liljum » Mon May 29, 2006 10:13 am

N-Aldwitch wrote:Also, I reckon doors need to say what key they accept... Rather than running in and out of every building checking for which keys go in which.

Yes that would be rather great. Or the keys could tell which house it belongs to like... Key no. #######(The store).

One of my chars have some keys. And when he has to give one to his friends he have to check which one it is by entering that building and look at the lock number to hand over the right key.

I wish that this info could be on the key.

But... If you die, and someone else get the hold of it then he/she would know where this key goes... Which is a bad thing.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Mon May 29, 2006 10:29 am

I suggest you try boomering your buildings then

Search for the forums for this word for more details
Agar

Postby Agar » Mon May 29, 2006 10:29 am

Dynamic key naming? They wouldn't know the name of the key unless they had already named it. Have the default be the number and add a "<cantrkey>" tag?
Reality was never my strong point.
Liljum

Postby Liljum » Mon May 29, 2006 10:35 am

Agar wrote:Dynamic key naming? They wouldn't know the name of the key unless they had already named it. Have the default be the number and add a "<cantrkey>" tag?

Yes, that's even better...
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Mon May 29, 2006 7:29 pm

Chris Johnson wrote:I suggest you try boomering your buildings then

Search for the forums for this word for more details

Ah, sweet nostalgia, lol.

Now all I need is a building to boomer
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:19 pm

In response to the recently rejected duplicate thread with the link to this one, the arguments against it ultimately came down to something very similar to what Wilmer posted there. It was deemed to be a bit too dangerous during discussions to allow reclaiming of keys. Imagine jackass newspawns being able to toss the keys into the smelting furnace rather than simply running off down the road with them.

This topic will be repoened for discussion once ProgD has completed the implementation of retrieveing resources and objects from porjects.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
BZR

Postby BZR » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:34 pm

Hey, what would you say to wax keys?

Create a wax rectangle, then borrow a key from sb for a while, cut the second key from the wax, using a knife and give the original key back.
It wouldn't be a project(!).
Few days after, in your house, you would create a secret duplicate of that key, during then normal project of making keys.

Great fun;)

And utility of wax
Crosshair

Postby Crosshair » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:03 pm

Project "making a wax copy of a key"

Tools none (you just push the key into warm wax... maybe a cooking stone then...)

Resources 100g bees wax,

1 key.

like that you mean?
[url=http://dragcave.net/view/tvkg][img]http://dragcave.net/image/tvkg.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://dragcave.net/view/RgKP][img]http://dragcave.net/image/RgKP.gif[/img][/url]
BZR

Postby BZR » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:45 pm

yes, like that but it would be nice if making a wax copy would NOT be a project, so that noone could see it.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”