Cancelation of Projects

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:49 pm

Good point. Even a year might be fine. Enough to keep opportunistic thieves at bay. Perhaps it should be a project, and not instantaneous, and not work if it's being worked on or the initiator is present (initiator can always disassemble, unless it's being worked on)

Did I just take something simple and overcomplicate it?
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:56 pm

Yes. I don't like the idea of making it a project. Removes a lot of stealth out of it. Just a message saying it happened should be fine.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:00 am

What about resource return? Reduce output of raws by the % the project is completed?
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:11 am

Hmm, I like that. It's better than a project to turn back all the percents and stuff.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:00 am

The problem is, if the project is partly done it has everything necessary - I don't think those projects should be cancel-able without staff intervention (ie a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE project). Just those which aren't started on.
Elros

Postby Elros » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:59 am

The original point of this suggestion was being able to cancel projects that haven't been worked on yet even after some of the resources have been added.

As long as the project percent is at 0.0% then is should be allowed to be canceled and the items dropped on the ground immedeatly after being set up if cancelled by the initiator, or after a year of being set up if cancelled by anyone else.
Every action has a consequence.
Peanut

Postby Peanut » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:15 am

Elros wrote:The original point of this suggestion was being able to cancel projects that haven't been worked on yet even after some of the resources have been added.

As long as the project percent is at 0.0% then is should be allowed to be canceled and the items dropped on the ground immedeatly after being set up if cancelled by the initiator, or after a year of being set up if cancelled by anyone else.

Might as well implement canceling worked on projects as we go with canceling added to projects. It's almost the same code wise anyway.

And I agree on returning a % of the worked on projects. Though I find that it should only happen from 10% completion on.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:43 pm

You would already lose the invested time. Why should you also lose some resources when the project has been worked on?
Pretty in pink.
BZR

Postby BZR » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:55 pm

Don't forget about ways to exploit it. If resources were to disapperar, a fellow thief could set up a project with all your resources and then cancel if, when he's sure he's gonna be caught.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:58 pm

Let's implement this for unworked projects only, leaving open the possibility of extending it to worked on projects in the future after we've had a proper debate on it.
Caesar
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milkyway, Our Galaxy, Time & Space

Postby Caesar » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:00 pm

Doug R. wrote:Let's implement this for unworked projects only, leaving open the possibility of extending it to worked on projects in the future after we've had a proper debate on it.

Agreed.
- Every person lost in war is two too many.
- Respect comes from two sides and must be earned. Nobody has the right to it because of a title, sex, age, race or birth.
- What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
- I believe in True Love, do you?
Peanut

Postby Peanut » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:08 pm

What if we make the canceling into a project as well.

When worked upon the completion % goes down until it hits 0% eventually.

Then it can be canceled completely.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:12 pm

*Wiro wrote:Yes. I don't like the idea of making it a project. Removes a lot of stealth out of it. Just a message saying it happened should be fine.

I think a project might be better than an arbitrary time limit. It would suck to have to wait a year to unclog your sabotaged machine, for example. A project at 0% could then be recovered in 1 hour.
Peanut

Postby Peanut » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:18 pm

I'm just discussing other options. Because being able to cancel already worked upon projects instantly would probably lead to a lot of grief. Even if there's a wait time for non worked upon projects to be canceled by non project initiators.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:22 pm

Peanut wrote:What if we make the canceling into a project as well.

When worked upon the completion % goes down until it hits 0% eventually.

Then it can be canceled completely.

Sounds interesting. Maybe this could in the far future be extended to recycle objects. Recyling an object would create an 100% completed project. You could either restore it by working on it for a tick, or disassemble it by cancelling the project until the status reached 0%.
Pretty in pink.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”