Dynamic Towns

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

grayjaket

Dynamic Towns

Postby grayjaket » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:00 pm

I don't know if this has been suggested before or not but here goes. I think it would be cool, and more realistic if town names were just like people's names. That way town names can be changed etc... And you don't know the name of a place before you get there either so when a person is ready to leave a town, and you go to location and you see the list of places you can go it would say something like
Path to Hills
Path to Mountains
Road to Plain
And you could rename them if you wanted to. So if someone takes over an area, than they start calling it something else, than they tell that to whoever comes in and those people can change it, and even put a little description to remind themselves what the town is like. I think this would be awesome, but I'm pretty sure its already been suggested somewhere.
I just can't stop coming back....
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:01 pm

It has but no harm in suggesting it again.

But I agree. Dynamic naming for places would be good.
new.vogue.nightmare

Postby new.vogue.nightmare » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:20 am

Of course you'd have to be able to point at roads and stuff to tell people where to go then.
Sicofonte wrote:SLURP, SLURP, SLURP...

<Kimidori> esperanto is sooooo sexy^^^^
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:42 am

Obviously.... :D
Meh

Postby Meh » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:52 am

If path names and locations names were variable then there would have to be some maps would have to be discarded.

Would the exits appear in the same order all the time?

The maps that have maintained the order of the exits would still be useful.

The exits themselves are not marked as going in a direction until your on them.

If exits appear in a random order but the direction is known then the graphical maps could help.

You could make it really hard and give no clue as to which exit is which and the only way would be to depend on people and signs.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:15 pm

it has been sugested before, but it never hurts to keep hassling people about it until it's done ;)

I can't wait to rename Quillanoi to "Graxville" ;)
grayjaket

Postby grayjaket » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:37 pm

lol
I just can't stop coming back....
oddedd

Realism

Postby oddedd » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:36 pm

This would multiply the realism tenfold! Can you imagine, a City wanting to expand its borders to incorperate other cities, lets say quill wanted to take over reniov mountins, they would call them Quillanoi mountins!! etc etc, many a war may happen and peace nogatiations, trade deals etc would become an impotant part of a cities survival,
swymir

Postby swymir » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:00 am

It wouldn't make maps useless. If anything it will make them more useful as now you need one to know where you are at. Also I'm sure most towns are going to keep the name of their city.
new.vogue.nightmare

Postby new.vogue.nightmare » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:25 am

I AM NAMING MY HOMETOWN FRED OMG O_O

Um, sorry for that outburst.
Although that would be pretty cool, renaming locations. Although maybe someone should be able to put up a sign and name locations for other people, and that sign would be defaceable by anyone who didn't like it, and removable, so people can steal signs and decorate their living rooms with them ^_^
Sicofonte wrote:SLURP, SLURP, SLURP...

<Kimidori> esperanto is sooooo sexy^^^^
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:05 am

lol, but yeah agree with you there
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:36 am

Yes, rationally, I fully agree with you all. And I'm sure something like this will be implemented someday. But I will miss the names I created, though :) ... I like my weird names :) ...

And, well, I'd better refrain from commenting on your 'Graxville' ;) ..... ..... how dare you! you even lost the elections! :p

(edit) Actually, I should not worry about those names - most of them are so much integrated in maps, notes, etc., that they will not simply disappear. E.g. Quillanoi would still be Quillanoi if we introduced dynamic naming, unless someone very consciously changes it, which would be an in-game, 'historical' decision. It would still be Quillanoi in the history books anyway. But still ... well, maybe I'm simply wrong, and historically grown names will actually be more interesting. It will also give more realistic name differences between different language groups. (/edit)
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:40 am

Ah, don't worry abotu Graxville lol, I just wanted to make that joke and needed a char to make it with, and I lost this time, but next time.... ;)

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”