a book

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Friar Briar

Re: a book

Postby Friar Briar » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:39 pm

Tiamo wrote:The page numbers should be part of the 'book', not part of the notes. Each page number (slot) would point to one specific note in the book. That way the notes can easily be retrieved unchanged if the book is disassembled.
The notes can be sorted/moved in the book making process, but the page numbers would be fixed when the book is completed.

Yes! Like a binder.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:03 am

Not sure if books are still going to be a thing, and this suggestion will probably complicate things, but how about instead of just a note storage container, the "notes" are actually aluminium plates, just like in RL printing. When some kind of chemical is applied (called imaging or etching), the plate becomes a one time editable note. The plate can then be used on a printing press to make a book. It would take planning and a lot of plates, but that's how RL printing is done (in a nutshell). This may solve the problem of editable notes losing their place, since each plate would be non-editable after the first etching. Plates could be reused for multiple copies or multiple editions.
Kyriel

Postby Kyriel » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:17 am

Before the invention of the printing press, people just wrote on paper... Plenty of books existed long, long before the printing press.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:13 pm

Oh, I know. I just thought it might be an elegant (albeit complicated) approach to tackling the problem with editable notes losing their order in the book. Also, I admit I have a bibliophile character who'd jump at a chance to set up a publishing house.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:14 pm

I hope the announcement was clear enough to explain how books will work, but it's still not known how will they look like.

We are no longer restricted by technical limitations which, for example, required us to have just one generic window (made of different frames). There can be many different types of book binding, which would be made of different materials.
I'd like to see your proposals.

The things to consider are potential popularity, accessibility, sense of luxury, but also length of the name - it shouldn't be very long, because there also needs to be some space for a book title.

Quite obvious options are, for example:
- paper-bound book
- leather-bound book
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:28 pm

I think we might have to drop the "-bound" part to keep the name short, but I'm not sure if it works in all cases. It works in English in most cases, and it's up to LangD to decide how it's handled in other languages.

Paper book or paperback book
Leather book, snake leather book, crocodile leather book
Reed book
Gilded book
Silvered book
[Gem]-encrusted book (with [gem] being any of the various gemstones available) ie. Opal-encrusted book, topaz-encrusted book, sapphire-encrusted book, ivory-encrusted book.

We could go for the bejewelled book, but personally I don't like that as much. Considering that this is a special object and a lot of programming went into it, I don't think it would be too much to have an option for each gemstone. The amount of RD work it would take is considerably less than the work Greek put into organising and programming it all. The gemstone, gilded and silvered books would assume a basic leather book with additional materials.

So yes, opinions please on gem-encrusted books and how you would like to see this handled would be appreciated. They would have their own category in the build menu, to avoid unnecessary clutter.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Kyriel

Postby Kyriel » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:32 pm

Platinum? Brass?
Cloth (cotton covering wood)
Silk (likewise)
Marian

Postby Marian » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:39 pm

Studded sounds a little better to me than encrusted. And three letters less! Ruby-studded, and so on. And yes please, on the specific gems. Obsidian too.

Leather books studded with iron, copper, bronze, gold, silver, and whatever other metals would be nice too.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:16 am

Materials

-Felt (wool and water like the felt hat)
-Tweed (also wool but hemp could work)
-Corkboard (timber or wood)
-Wax (beeswax)
-Vellum (prepared hide. Think paperback books)
-Marbled paper (actual marble isn't used IRL, it just has the appearance of marble. Paper+water+dye)
-Quarterbound (dual binding materials)

Applications
-Gold leaf (gold)
-Embossed (peen hammer and chisel on leather)
-Metalique (Embossed with silver overlay)
-Foil stamped (zinc or tin or some other reflective metal)
-Silkscreened (IRL requires a screen press. Could possibly use the wire screen used to make the beehive and some kind of ink)

Edit: I work at a press and bindery so really I could on and on with options. These are just a few.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:44 pm

Thanks for the great list! Books would have to have a relatively short name, but there can be a few exceptions (as with dice). It's not possible to cover all material combinations, so we have to pick the most interesting and important. We really need as many opinions on this as possible.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:52 am

I really like the idea of an embossed leather book.

Also, I realize now that metalique is a somewhat obscure term. Top Stamped or Foil Embossed is probably more universal.

So my short list:

leather book
foil embossed leather book
vellum book
foil stamped vellum book
felt book
silkscreened felt book
wax book
embossed wax book
tweed book
gold leaf tweed book
quarterbound book

Also, if we ever get flaxseed, linen is a very common and elegant looking cover material.
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:12 pm

These look great. Can you substitue hemp for linen?
BeepBeep

Postby BeepBeep » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:57 am

Thank you so much for books!! :D *hugs a collection*

“When I play with my cat, how do I know that she is not playing with me rather than I with her?” ~Michel de Montaigne
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:46 pm

Bump.
prometheus

Postby prometheus » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:55 pm

Will they be describable?
Also, will you need specific amounts?

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”